A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 Headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2002 Headlight question

Is there an easy way to tell if a car has HIDs? (dead battery, so "Look at them on" is not an option)

They are projectors, but I don't know if the Halogens were also projectors.

I could not find the option code sticker, but I do have the VIN.

Does Audi let a dealer look up options by VIN like MB?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HIDs have a ballast under the headlight assembly. If I remember right, its a little metal box attached to the underside of the light.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any way to tell from the top easily?
I have a few pics of the top of the assembly.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Is there an easy way to tell if a car has HIDs? (dead battery, so "Look at them on" is not an option)

The option code the HID lamps is 8JD. You can look for the option code sticker for your car in the spare well. Link to the decoder for the rest of the codes on the sticker are here:
PlanetVAG.com - VW & Audi PR Code Search

The other way you can tell (if your sticker is missing) is to turn on the headlights and see if they auto-level. If they do, they are xenon as halogens do not need to auto-level. You can also turn them on lowbeam, and have someone flick the high beams on/off. The halogen bulb next to the projector lamp will light, but focus on the projector. In 2002, the projectors were bi-xenon, which meant there is a little shutter inside the lens that opens when you flick on the high beams. If the light changes from the projector, you have xenons.

Of course, there is always just looking at the option packages, xenons were part of the Premium Package in 2002, so if you have the multifunction steering wheel and parktronic sensors, you have xenons.
https://www.audiworld.com/model/a6/02/2_7_sedan.pdf

Hope that helps!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All your early answers were not able to be used.
In going through the feature list to figure out the drive ratios, I found the options list and the car does not have parktronic so they are (unfortunately ) halogen.
Now the next question:
If I put halogen headlights on an HID car, what issues am I going to be running into? ?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues, but you lose a good feature. HID headlights are so much better for visibility. The other way around is more of an issue (putting HID in a halogen car) unless one goes through the trouble of making the auto-level work.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Boston Driver
No issues, but you lose a good feature. HID headlights are so much better for visibility. The other way around is more of an issue (putting HID in a halogen car) unless one goes through the trouble of making the auto-level work.
Yes, I like HID and have them on all my cars including the 2000 A6.
The "Issue" is that 2002 parts car I am looking at to donate its front end to repair my 2000 is a 2002 without HID. I have all the leveling parts on the car, just don't have a pair of new HID lights to put in.
Yes, I can buy a new set, but the car is my son's and needs to be reassembled on a budget.
I just need to make sure I don't have to butcher the wiring harness, or such to get it back together.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Look at the wire to the back of the headlight assembly.

Originally Posted by N_Jay

If it's a big fat/thick high voltage wire, you have HID.
You can also open up the easy one, the driver's side, and actually look at the headlight element. An HID element has one high voltage terminal that fat wire hooks up to; a halogen element has a skinny wire with a body ground or two flat spade connectors.

And yes, there are halogen projector headlamps but I don't think they were used as early as 2002. I recall reading something about people swapping out halogen projectors for HID projectors, but like everything with headlights it can get sketchy quickly whenever you move away from OEM.

Used HID headlamp assemblies are about $150 on ebay. I'd probably just get used ones.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 03-25-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will add a set of HIDs to the second round list.
I did not bother taking the lights apart, as I am still negotiating the purchase and was hoping to find out all I needed from the sticker, then could not find the sticker.
Now that I see the options lists, I am very sure they are Halogen (and are definitely projectors), but looking at the parts online all are projectors, both Halogen and HID.
It will be at least a year before the car gets significant night driving, so I may just go with high brightness Halogen bulbs temporarily.

Last edited by N_Jay; 03-25-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try the spare tire well for option codes

Quick Reply: 2002 Headlight question