Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro S Line

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 209659
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 45
Default 2004 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro S Line

I am here seeking advice on a "Stage 1" flash, either APR GAIC, etc. My car is bone stock as far as I know with no other add-ons/replacements.

My car has approximately 78,000 miles and has not yet had the timing belt changed, which I will hopefully get to fairly soon (next 1-2 months). I would assume (and was given advice by one knowledgable person) that I would want to do this before I did any performance mods. I assume this is a universal opinion? I see the water pump is also located in the same general area and should be done @ this time as well?

Questions:
-What flash company do you recommend?
-Do you recommend an installer do this or myself?
-Is there any other things that need to be done @ the same time as the flash?

My simple goal is to have a daily driver that's a bit quicker than stock (which is still pretty quick in my opinion). Possibly an exhaust upgrade some day, but not for a while anyway. The car is pretty great as it is, and, after all it's an A6, not a S4 orS6.

As sidenote, I can turn a wrench and follow directions pretty well, but am a complete rookie when it comes to German cars. My previous/current experience comes from American (Ford) cars/trucks and British cars (late 80's Jags and 60's MGB's). Thanks in advance for any replies.

Brad

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/rocktown61201/
rocktown61201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 162685
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,469
Default

APR or REVO

(lol pretty much the same )


any flash will have to be done by an installer or the company

(they make you send out the ECU)


do the timing belt. replace EVERYTHING while your there blauparts is a good kit
2.7Lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 157841
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktown61201 View Post
I am here seeking advice on a "Stage 1" flash, either APR GAIC, etc. My car is bone stock as far as I know with no other add-ons/replacements.

My car has approximately 78,000 miles and has not yet had the timing belt changed, which I will hopefully get to fairly soon (next 1-2 months). I would assume (and was given advice by one knowledgable person) that I would want to do this before I did any performance mods. I assume this is a universal opinion? I see the water pump is also located in the same general area and should be done @ this time as well?

Questions:
-What flash company do you recommend?
-Do you recommend an installer do this or myself?
-Is there any other things that need to be done @ the same time as the flash?

My simple goal is to have a daily driver that's a bit quicker than stock (which is still pretty quick in my opinion). Possibly an exhaust upgrade some day, but not for a while anyway. The car is pretty great as it is, and, after all it's an A6, not a S4 orS6.

As sidenote, I can turn a wrench and follow directions pretty well, but am a complete rookie when it comes to German cars. My previous/current experience comes from American (Ford) cars/trucks and British cars (late 80's Jags and 60's MGB's). Thanks in advance for any replies.

Brad

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/rocktown61201/
I have revo software, stage 2. it's pretty good. Also Unitronic's is really good! Get a replacement TBB. They tend to rip.A pair of DV ( I have Forge ) I have custom made DP's, but you can get piggies or Labree's. Also I have AWE S-flo intake. This is a good start.
__________________
04 S-Line
Revo stage 2
AWE S-Flo
Forge DV"s(polished)
Snub Mount
Samco TBB(red)
Custom 3in downpipes
Custom Magnaflow exhaust
Sportec Bi-mono 19"
245/35/19
35% window tint
E-Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 209659
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 45
Default

Thanks for the great responses guys, its very much appreciated.

2.7Lturbo's was extra helpful because I didn't know that you had to send out the ECU. How long does this process take? I see that there is a APR dealer about 80 miles away. Maybe I will do this at the same time as the timing belt/water pump since the car must be out of commision.

Any other imput is welcome and appreciated, thanks again for the replies.
rocktown61201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 176658
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktown61201 View Post
Thanks for the great responses guys, its very much appreciated.

2.7Lturbo's was extra helpful because I didn't know that you had to send out the ECU. How long does this process take? I see that there is a APR dealer about 80 miles away. Maybe I will do this at the same time as the timing belt/water pump since the car must be out of commision.

Any other imput is welcome and appreciated, thanks again for the replies.
Just to clarify, if there is an APR dealer/authorized installer close enough for you to drive to then you don't have to remove and send out the ECU. You can just drive to their shop and they will flash the ECU on-site in about 5-10 minutes. Supposedly, they will even let you "test drive" (pun intended) the software before you buy.

Other than that, I agree with everything else everyone has said, but I would stress that you should focus on the TB job before doing any mods. Like 2.7L said, get a good kit that includes ALL the related seals.
__________________
2002 A6 2.7T 6MT
MTM Chip / Samco TBB / 710N DV's / Magnaflow Cat-back / Parrot MKi9000 Bluetooth
TheSilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 167938
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 72
Default

I have driven the APR, GIAC, and MTM. GIAC was the smoothest chip but it did not pull as hard as the others in my opinion. APR seemed to have a slightly harder boost onset and accelerated quicker than GIAC or so it felt. APR was not as smooth to me as the other two yet it was still very drivable. The MTM chip I have been running for the last 2 years is their stage 3 software for the stock K03 turbos but it does require a catback and 5Bar FPR. This chip is in the middle as smoothness goes but it definitely pulls better and longer than the others. To be fare though, the GIAC car had stock exhaust. APR and MTM were both on my A6 with piggies and a catback. I would definitely call the APR dealer and try the free flash. It will only last until you turn the car off. Regardless of what chip you choose this will give you an idea of what to expect. However as other have mentioned, do the TB first. You are overdue and a 2.7t top end can be very expensive.
__________________
2001 A6 2.7t 6MT...MTM stage3
RTnDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 209659
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 45
Default

Thanks again to the others who commented as well, it is very much appreciated! I found out 2 new things today that made me feel pretty darn good:

1.) In a few weeks my closest APR dealer will be having a great sale: You get all tunes: stock, 91,93 & 100 octane for the same price, $599.00. You folks can tell me otherwise, but that sounds like a fantastic deal and after reading up a bit more on APR, I think I would like to do it. He also mentioned upgrading to a better Divertor Valve at some point but I don't have to. Do you folks reccomend this mod as well? What is the price/advantage of a new DV?

2.) I also checked in with the shop that does the tune about the TB, water pump, etc...here was his reply: "We do timing belt service here which includes belt, tensioner/roller, waterpump, thermostat and housing, and cam seals for $1200 including parts and labor." This seems pretty in line w/ other quotes I've heard about from my area. I have 3 other independents I'm going to check out pricing and reputation-wise this week as well. I have another question in to him about the brand of the parts as well. I live in the Midwest so prices aren't crazy for service, but how does this sound compared to your services?

Thanks again!

-Brad
rocktown61201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 176658
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktown61201 View Post
Thanks again to the others who commented as well, it is very much appreciated! I found out 2 new things today that made me feel pretty darn good:

1.) In a few weeks my closest APR dealer will be having a great sale: You get all tunes: stock, 91,93 & 100 octane for the same price, $599.00. You folks can tell me otherwise, but that sounds like a fantastic deal and after reading up a bit more on APR, I think I would like to do it. He also mentioned upgrading to a better Divertor Valve at some point but I don't have to. Do you folks reccomend this mod as well? What is the price/advantage of a new DV?

2.) I also checked in with the shop that does the tune about the TB, water pump, etc...here was his reply: "We do timing belt service here which includes belt, tensioner/roller, waterpump, thermostat and housing, and cam seals for $1200 including parts and labor." This seems pretty in line w/ other quotes I've heard about from my area. I have 3 other independents I'm going to check out pricing and reputation-wise this week as well. I have another question in to him about the brand of the parts as well. I live in the Midwest so prices aren't crazy for service, but how does this sound compared to your services?

Thanks again!

-Brad
I'm glad to hear that APR is running that $599 special again. They seem to do this at least once or twice a year, and I've been waiting for another shot at the deal myself. Did they give you specific dates as to when the special will be running?

As far as the DV's go, I know most folks choose to do this along with the chip, to protect the turbos from the extra boost pressure they will be generating. There's plenty of detailed info about this in other posts if you search for it, but I would definitely recommend it.

Another mod you might want to look at along with the DV's and chip is the APR Bi-pipe. This eliminates the throttle body boot which can tear and cause trouble down the road. I believe ECS even sells a kit that includes the bi-pipe and DV's together.

Personally, I plan to do both of these along with the chip when the time comes, just to be safe.

Also, $1200 sounds about right for the full TB job with parts and labor. My indy charged me about $1400, but I'd expect that labor is a bit more expensive here in the DC area than in the midwest.
__________________
2002 A6 2.7T 6MT
MTM Chip / Samco TBB / 710N DV's / Magnaflow Cat-back / Parrot MKi9000 Bluetooth

Last edited by TheSilverBullet; 03-21-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo time
TheSilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 162685
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,469
Default

dv is a waste of money get the upgraded OEM ones at 50 a pop.
2.7Lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 176658
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo View Post
dv is a waste of money get the upgraded OEM ones at 50 a pop.
Good point that the 710N's are about $100 cheaper (each -- and you need two) than the Forge or APR DV's.

Just wondering, are you saying that the 710N's perform just as well as the Forge DV's or just that the Forges are overkill for a Stage 1 setup?
__________________
2002 A6 2.7T 6MT
MTM Chip / Samco TBB / 710N DV's / Magnaflow Cat-back / Parrot MKi9000 Bluetooth
TheSilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 162685
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverBullet View Post
Good point that the 710N's are about $100 cheaper (each -- and you need two) than the Forge or APR DV's.

Just wondering, are you saying that the 710N's perform just as well as the Forge DV's or just that the Forges are overkill for a Stage 1 setup?
yes, im my experience the 710Ns perform as well as the forged ones.... the caveat being is that they wear out and will eventually need to be replaced again... BUT what most people dont realize is you have to do routine matainence on the forged ones to keep the operating at top shape (things like cleaning and adding oil ever x amount of miles or x amount of months) bottom line is stage 1 - 3 would be fine. in fact most street driven cars would see little benefit. unless the DVs are bigger and have bigger piping to go along with it
2.7Lturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 209659
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 45
Default

Hi guys, thanks again for th awesome answers. I have started a new thread here for help in making my decisions on parts to use. I already have an "idea" on what I would like to do, but a second look is always helpful for a newcomer:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...4#post24119824

As for the APR tune special, it is going on NOW! It goes through the end of April. Here is a link: http://www.goapr.com/

Thanks again!

-Brad
rocktown61201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 210381
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktown61201 View Post
Thanks again to the others who commented as well, it is very much appreciated! I found out 2 new things today that made me feel pretty darn good:

1.) In a few weeks my closest APR dealer will be having a great sale: You get all tunes: stock, 91,93 & 100 octane for the same price, $599.00. You folks can tell me otherwise, but that sounds like a fantastic deal and after reading up a bit more on APR, I think I would like to do it. He also mentioned upgrading to a better Divertor Valve at some point but I don't have to. Do you folks reccomend this mod as well? What is the price/advantage of a new DV?

2.) I also checked in with the shop that does the tune about the TB, water pump, etc...here was his reply: "We do timing belt service here which includes belt, tensioner/roller, waterpump, thermostat and housing, and cam seals for $1200 including parts and labor." This seems pretty in line w/ other quotes I've heard about from my area. I have 3 other independents I'm going to check out pricing and reputation-wise this week as well. I have another question in to him about the brand of the parts as well. I live in the Midwest so prices aren't crazy for service, but how does this sound compared to your services?

Thanks again!

-Brad
Brad, I'm also in Illinois and need to have the TB replaced on my 2004 A6. Can you let me know what shop(s) you're considering to do the job?

Thanks,

Mike
dohboy32847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 209659
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 45
Default

Hi Mike,

I'm in Rock Island which is West-Central IL along the Mississippi across from IA where Interstates 74, 80 and 88 meet (known as the Quad Cities).

I got quotes from 4 places, but the one mentioned above was a little far away (in Dubuque, IA, but a super knowledgable person who has done LOTS of these and will also be doing my APR tune in a few weeks).

Here is my list of folks with a city and phone numbers. I chose these 3 over the local dealer because I know at least 1 person who had a good experience there with a TB job and 0 bad experiences in other Audi-related (and other models too) experiences:

North Brady Imports-Davenport, IA 563-386-6122

Rev Hard, Inc-Rock Island, IL 309-788-3966

IL Dyno Center-Port Byron, IL 309-523-9200

I really don't want to give out quotes for each publicly as they may not appreciate that, but I will say I went with IL Dyno Center as they are super helpful on the services and very performance oriented as well (personal past experience with American muscle). Damon there has spent close to an hour on the phone with me this week going over the process of what will happen. I will also be using Rev Hard, Inc to do my dynoing shortly, as they have the only all-wheel dyno around this area. I hope this helps you in your search. I hope this was helpful.

-Brad
rocktown61201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2004, 27t, a6, apr, audi, body, boot, chip, giac, lake, revo, salt, sline, throttle, unitronic


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community