A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2004 audi a6 3.0 cylinder 5 misfire. Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigcox4002001
My coolant tank is located above the # 5 cyl, but there are no individual coil packs. I have a coil pack assembly located right in front of the engine.
Do you have a 2.8 or 3.0 engine?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Audi A6 Quattro

Originally Posted by Metronet
Do you have a 2.8 or 3.0 engine?
It is the 2.8l AHA 30 v. I have made some progress in diagnosing the issue. I no longer believe that timing is the case since all cylinders have compression and it will run, albeit bad. I broke a vacuum hose going from the vacuum tank to the throttle body, I think this is making the misfire issue worse. I received my new coil packs but haven't put them on yet. I want to wait until my new vacuum lines get here so I can do it all at once. Then I have to tear it all apart and do the cam chain tensioner seals, end caps, cam shaft seals, and valve cover gaskets. Since I have to take everything apart anyway, I'll probably go ahead and replace the chain tensioner wear pads as well, and check the timing all at once. If the timing belt, et al looks bad I'll do that too.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

take very good pics and note the number of links beteen the cams on BOTH sides before you start . You will thank me later.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Can't tell by looking at TB.

Originally Posted by bigcox4002001
It is the 2.8l AHA 30 v. I have made some progress in diagnosing the issue. I no longer believe that timing is the case since all cylinders have compression and it will run, albeit bad. I broke a vacuum hose going from the vacuum tank to the throttle body, I think this is making the misfire issue worse. I received my new coil packs but haven't put them on yet. I want to wait until my new vacuum lines get here so I can do it all at once. Then I have to tear it all apart and do the cam chain tensioner seals, end caps, cam shaft seals, and valve cover gaskets. Since I have to take everything apart anyway, I'll probably go ahead and replace the chain tensioner wear pads as well, and check the timing all at once. If the timing belt, et al looks bad I'll do that too.
That being said, IF you CAN tell by looking at the TB, like cracks in the belt when you flex it backward, certainly replace the belt and consider replacing the tensioner, pulleys, etc. and water pump. TB itself is generally not what fails..a seized idler or other pulley or water pump destroys the belt.

Serp belt go ahead and replace if it looks bad..it sits out there in the mud and the blood and the beer, especially if someone is running an audi without a bellypan.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 98 Audi A6 Quattro

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
That being said, IF you CAN tell by looking at the TB, like cracks in the belt when you flex it backward, certainly replace the belt and consider replacing the tensioner, pulleys, etc. and water pump. TB itself is generally not what fails..a seized idler or other pulley or water pump destroys the belt.

Serp belt go ahead and replace if it looks bad..it sits out there in the mud and the blood and the beer, especially if someone is running an audi without a bellypan.
Yeah I'm gonna inspect all that stuff while I'm in there. HelI i might just change them for good measure since I'm already there. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-26-2015, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 98 Audi A6 Quattro

Originally Posted by Airbag
take very good pics and note the number of links beteen the cams on BOTH sides before you start . You will thank me later.

Yeah pictures and markings will be my backups. I've already gotten all the Audi specific tools, alldatadiy, and videos galore. I've performed this same job countless times in the past but this Audi takes the cake! LOL. I'm gonna mark and document everything. I've even come up with a set of procedures that are more detailed than alldatadiy. I used the videos and various threads as a reference, printed the alldata, and inserted several steps, tips, and pictures. It should go well. But you know what they say about the best laid plans...