A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 03:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Bleeding Clutch need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding Clutch need help!

So I was driving my audi a6 2.7t 6 speed and my clutch pedal fell to the floor and wouldn't come back up. Had to tow home because I had no clutch. I noticed the brake fluid was low (below the master clutch cylinder line on the reservoir) so I think air just got in the system. I was trying to bleed it out with new fluid but I'm not sure how to get to the slave cylinder from under the car if anyone had some tips.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2014, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default look near an axle flange on the trans.

Originally Posted by saifi450
So I was driving my audi a6 2.7t 6 speed and my clutch pedal fell to the floor and wouldn't come back up. Had to tow home because I had no clutch. I noticed the brake fluid was low (below the master clutch cylinder line on the reservoir) so I think air just got in the system. I was trying to bleed it out with new fluid but I'm not sure how to get to the slave cylinder from under the car if anyone had some tips.

Thanks!
I forget which side of the vehicle it's on. Pic below might help.
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I forget which side of the vehicle it's on. Pic below might help.
Thank you for the picture! So this is under near the CV joint? You have to remove the shield covering the CV joint?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Thank you for the picture! So this is under near the CV joint? You have to remove the shield covering the CV joint?
Dunno…the bentley ebahn didn't say remove anything…you might have to remove the fender liner but I don't know. It looks about 4-6" away from the axle flange (transmission output flange). If that part of the trans is covered you'll have to remove the fender liner.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dunno…the bentley ebahn didn't say remove anything…you might have to remove the fender liner but I don't know. It looks about 4-6" away from the axle flange (transmission output flange). If that part of the trans is covered you'll have to remove the fender liner.
Thank you! I will remove the fender liner when I get home and see if I can find it lol
Old 12-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I think I know where it is but I don't see how you could get to it without removing anything if someone could shed some light on it, removing the fender liner doesnt seem like it would help.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Clutch slave cylinder is on top left front of trans.
I could only get to it from the top. Long reach into tight quarters. I think the bleed screw is 7 or 8 mm, with cramped quarters making it difficult to turn very much. Break it loose 1st, then use clear poly tubing to snake down to a bleed pan below.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRuby
Clutch slave cylinder is on top left front of trans.
I could only get to it from the top. Long reach into tight quarters. I think the bleed screw is 7 or 8 mm, with cramped quarters making it difficult to turn very much. Break it loose 1st, then use clear poly tubing to snake down to a bleed pan below.
So I'm assuming you had to remove the coolant overflow tank to get to it?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So I'm assuming you had to remove the coolant overflow tank to get to it?
Definitely. As it's below and aft of the overflow tank.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CRuby
Definitely. As it's below and aft of the overflow tank.
Cool thanks, I'm getting at it from below removing the CV joint heat shield at the moment, if I can't get at it from there I'll go from the top by moving the coolant overflow tank

Quick Reply: Bleeding Clutch need help!