A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

3.0 Starting Issues Possible Timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I redone everything as by the PDF you posted, and nothing changed. May be borrowing an ecu from a member on Audizine to see if that might solve it. If that doesn't, I don't know where to go from there.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quote I got from another member in an email.

The cam sensors are telling you the timing is off. Since you have compression, and you said the belt is right, the flexplate is the only other answer..

This was after telling him I had to redo the flex plate just a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xdewaynex
Well I redone everything as by the PDF you posted, and nothing changed. May be borrowing an ecu from a member on Audizine to see if that might solve it. If that doesn't, I don't know where to go from there.
Well at this point it does seem most logical to try a good known ecu, I've helped a few with timing issues over the past years on the 3.0 but yours is a big mystery to say the least.

Hope it works!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Guy is still saying the flex plate might be wrong. I ran a log on block 093 for the cams and got nothing. He says it might not read until the car is running. Also ran a log for 003 and got good readings for engine speed sensor, intake air mass, throttle drive angle and ignition timing angle.

Originally Posted by jcman
Well at this point it does seem most logical to try a good known ecu, I've helped a few with timing issues over the past years on the 3.0 but yours is a big mystery to say the least.

Hope it works!
Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No real update other than I've been slowly putting the car back together and waiting to send it to a shop once I get back to work, or cut all ties with it and sell it as is. So much time put into this thing and I've gotten no where.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Jcman, I really appreciate all the help you've given me with the A6. Unfortunately I just watched it ride away on a rollback to its new owner. Not being able to find work and afford to have it fixed somewhere was killing me, so I sold it and paying off what I still owe on it. Maybe in the future I'll have another C5, but for now I'll keep enjoying my B5 A4.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, I was reading around about the correct position of the flexplate and read through this thread and I wanted to let everyone know that the position of the window/gap on the flexplate is different than a flywheel . Either case the correct position is to locate it just before it would pass by the crank position sensor when the harmonic balancer mark is on the mark on the front of the crank.

The bolt holes in the crank and the flexplate can be forced together in the wrong position but if you carefully rotate the flexplate through each of the 8 possible positions you will find that it will really only line up in one position.

I believe that the crank position sensors are in different positions on the auto verses manual transmissions so be careful to not assume that they are the same.

I think xdewaynex was still one position off on his and that is why his still would not start.

Audi does not release the info on how to install the flywheel correctly.

I made my mistake of not marking the correct position when I swapped mine from my fragged engine to my used replacement engine. That is why I struggled with this problem. I caught my mistake after I stabbed my engine into the car but not before I finished up the install, so out it came again so I could check the flexplate and I was out of position by two boltholes.

Good luck guys.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bradshawtech
Ok, I was reading around about the correct position of the flexplate and read through this thread and I wanted to let everyone know that the position of the window/gap on the flexplate is different than a flywheel . Either case the correct position is to locate it just before it would pass by the crank position sensor when the harmonic balancer mark is on the mark on the front of the crank.

The bolt holes in the crank and the flexplate can be forced together in the wrong position but if you carefully rotate the flexplate through each of the 8 possible positions you will find that it will really only line up in one position.

I believe that the crank position sensors are in different positions on the auto verses manual transmissions so be careful to not assume that they are the same.

I think xdewaynex was still one position off on his and that is why his still would not start.

Audi does not release the info on how to install the flywheel correctly.

I made my mistake of not marking the correct position when I swapped mine from my fragged engine to my used replacement engine. That is why I struggled with this problem. I caught my mistake after I stabbed my engine into the car but not before I finished up the install, so out it came again so I could check the flexplate and I was out of position by two boltholes.

Good luck guys.
One variant most folks overlook is the damper marks that are not always spot on, this is why a crank lock pin is recommended even when doing a TB service. However in this case the CPS is looking for #1 TDC not #3 that the crank pin is positioning, the only reason it is mentioned in the "limited info manual" is to reference a point to mark the flex/flywheel for an R&R purpose.

The terminology of flexplate and flywheel is only referenced to the type of transmission "technically" and both do incorporate the sender wheel plate, I'm very positive that that the CPS is in the same position for both types of transmissions because it is mounted on the engine not the trans bell.

If you had success that's a good thing to hear! It has been mentioned that the bolt holes are offset by others too, so when you said the sender wheel gap is just past the CPS what reference outside of #3 TDC position can you provide? The CPS is looking for #1 TDC according to the Audi printed study guide about the G28 sensor, this might explain why you did not see the window at the sensor, yes??

Last edited by jcman; 12-31-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure how the damper mark could not be spot on as it is keyed to the crank sprocket for the TB.

I went to a local junk yard to reference the location of the window on the flexplate as I used the damper mark as a baseline. My engine is coupled to an automatic trans and the junkyard engine was from a standard transmission car. I put the damper mark on my engine and the junkyard engine at the same mark on the TB cover and that is where I noticed the different locations of the window on the flywheel. I made an assumption that the standard trans location of the CPS is different since when I returned to my engine I could not start all the flexplate bolts if I tried to mount it placing the window in the same location as the junkyard engine. I rotated my flexplate one more position anticlockwise and my bolts lined up perfectly. In this mounted position my window was just at the CPS location so I trusted this to be correct. When I attempted to start the engine for the first time I was nervous as could be but it fired up immediately and has run smooth ever since.

I must say that I am quite sure that my CPS is mounted in the bellhousing of the transmission and not on the engine itself. I trust your knowledge a lot but I wonder where the difference is in our experiences.

As far as the window being located just before it passes the CPS when the crank mark is lined up on the TB cover on my engine I am making another assumption that the crank mark is marking TDC #1 from my experience of old school domestic engines. I am well aware that is not always safe as the Germans have different ideas on many things.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bradshawtech
Not sure how the damper mark could not be spot on as it is keyed to the crank sprocket for the TB.

I went to a local junk yard to reference the location of the window on the flexplate as I used the damper mark as a baseline. My engine is coupled to an automatic trans and the junkyard engine was from a standard transmission car. I put the damper mark on my engine and the junkyard engine at the same mark on the TB cover and that is where I noticed the different locations of the window on the flywheel. I made an assumption that the standard trans location of the CPS is different since when I returned to my engine I could not start all the flexplate bolts if I tried to mount it placing the window in the same location as the junkyard engine. I rotated my flexplate one more position anticlockwise and my bolts lined up perfectly. In this mounted position my window was just at the CPS location so I trusted this to be correct. When I attempted to start the engine for the first time I was nervous as could be but it fired up immediately and has run smooth ever since.

I must say that I am quite sure that my CPS is mounted in the bellhousing of the transmission and not on the engine itself. I trust your knowledge a lot but I wonder where the difference is in our experiences.

As far as the window being located just before it passes the CPS when the crank mark is lined up on the TB cover on my engine I am making another assumption that the crank mark is marking TDC #1 from my experience of old school domestic engines. I am well aware that is not always safe as the Germans have different ideas on many things.
Dampers can shift "rare" but can happen, safer to use the crank lock pin but that only references #3 TDC not #1.

Well I do stand corrected on the CPS mount location, yes it is in the bell but in the same location on Auto & Manual trans.

As far as this thread went it seems that the OP had more issues that could not be remedied, I did suggest to another member to pay attention to the flywheel/flexplate install with the same info provided here that worked for him and the bolt pattern was mentioned too.

Quick Reply: 3.0 Starting Issues Possible Timing