A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

4.2 front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 front wheel bearing

My front driver's side wheel bearing just started to make noise.

I have the 4 bolt flange wheel bearings, which I understand you just removed the 4 bolts and the bearing comes off.

How does the hub seperate from the bearing? Is a press or puller still required?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Shouldn't require a press or puller with aluminum uprights.
The 4 bolt flange just comes off with the bearing...you get a new casting/bearing assembly.

Of course, you do need to remove the jesus bolt in the center of the axle (loosen it while wheel is on the ground and get a new one...it's an angle tightened bolt). I release the pinch bolt and drop the carrier (get a new pinch bolt too) and the axle/CV joint comes out and flop to one side while you replace the bearing/carrier.

Shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

Check the balljoints on the UCAs while you have the pinch bolt out and the UCAs released.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default No press there but...

you still have to get the bearing assembly separated from the hub center so you can reuse it with the new bearing-the 4 bolts are what loosen it from the large aluminum steering arm.

I just clamped the bearing assembly in a vise and drove the hub center out with a sledge hammer and an appropriately sized socket wrench that matched up with the diameter of the hub center. To reasemble it (in a home shop environment), I used the vise tightening pressure square on with the bearing assembly and the hub center to drive them together. Both steps could be done on a press of course, with less risk of damage to the new bearing assembly--removing the old one with pretty simple brute force hammering really doesn't matter since it gets tossed.

Don't strip any of the four retaining bolts on disassembly either. Use the appropriate wrench only square on with the steering arm secured from movement. Ask me how I know...drilling out even one hardened large bolt (on a drill press at that) was no fun.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-16-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great! exactly what I needed to know.

The 4 bolts look like triple square head (or 12pt whatever u call them), for which I have the appropriate tools.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Yes, bolts are...

triple square. Just be sure to drive the tool head into the bolt firmly (like, tap it in) and don't let it get off angle.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
triple square. Just be sure to drive the tool head into the bolt firmly (like, tap it in) and don't let it get off angle.
size 10 triple square?
Old 06-24-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Huh? The bearing assembly comes with a new bearing pair.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
you still have to get the bearing assembly separated from the hub center so you can reuse it with the new bearing-the 4 bolts are what loosen it from the large aluminum steering arm.

I just clamped the bearing assembly in a vise and drove the hub center out with a sledge hammer and an appropriately sized socket wrench that matched up with the diameter of the hub center. To reasemble it (in a home shop environment), I used the vise tightening pressure square on with the bearing assembly and the hub center to drive them together. Both steps could be done on a press of course, with less risk of damage to the new bearing assembly--removing the old one with pretty simple brute force hammering really doesn't matter since it gets tossed.

Don't strip any of the four retaining bolts on disassembly either. Use the appropriate wrench only square on with the steering arm secured from movement. Ask me how I know...drilling out even one hardened large bolt (on a drill press at that) was no fun.
No pressing required. At least that's the way it was on our 2K4.2A6.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
size 10 triple square?
Its size 12mm triple square.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as some additional info for searchers...

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5...gServicing.pdf

Most if this also applies...
http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/C5..._CVBootDIY.pdf

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 07-04-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just curious - did you write both "pinch bolt" and "shouldn't take more than an hour or so" in the same sentence? Maybe i need more coffee :-)

Quick Reply: 4.2 front wheel bearing