A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

darn headlight dipped...need fix for tab issue

Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Default darn headlight dipped...need fix for tab issue

Hi guys,

I'm trying to help out a friend who has a C5 (2.8) and their car was in a very small fender bender, however the only real issue is that the headlight got popped out.

I was able to assist in getting the headlight back in and fixing the tabs (via a repair kit). However, the big issue is that the HID on the driver side point down when turned on. Unlike the passenger side, which levels and adjust to the right position.

I know that the tab inside the headlight assembly is either broken or just came off and was wondering if someone has details on how to 'MacGyver' a fix for this?

Buying a new headlight assembly isn't an option right now. BTW, when I turn the white screw on the headlight (to raise and lower)...it simply spins and there's little to no impact on raising the light.

thnx
Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll likely have to open the light to see what the issue is. If it's just a broken adjustment connector you can probably plastic weld it back together.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you mean put the entire headlight in the over for X period of time and then pry the assembly apart?

I was hoping someone might have a DIY here in the C5 board on how to 'easily' deal with this issue without incurring a lot of costs.
Originally Posted by mithrilG60
You'll likely have to open the light to see what the issue is. If it's just a broken adjustment connector you can probably plastic weld it back together.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes. If you have a broken adjuster that can be fixed with plastic weld that's your cheapest and easiest option for a repair. The only way to fix that will be to open up the headlight.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the advice...So anyone up around Vancouver (Canada) willing to give my friend a hand doing the 'bake and peel' I doubt he's comfortable enough doing it on his own.

As an option, how difficult or easy is it to swap out the headlight...in particular there is a non-HID headlight available for $50 and is it fairly straight-forward swapping out the HID parts and all to the 'new' one. I know how to remove and install the assembly...

cheers
Old 11-02-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Thanks for the advice...So anyone up around Vancouver (Canada) willing to give my friend a hand doing the 'bake and peel' I doubt he's comfortable enough doing it on his own.

As an option, how difficult or easy is it to swap out the headlight...in particular there is a non-HID headlight available for $50 and is it fairly straight-forward swapping out the HID parts and all to the 'new' one. I know how to remove and install the assembly...

cheers
IF the HID parts swap into the non-HID assembly, you still have to remove the lens on the HID assembly as well as the non-HID assembly. That's double the work of removing the lens on the HID assembly alone. Furthermore, the non-HID assembly probably won't have the same leveling tabs as the broken ones on your HID assembly. In any case, you'll still have to remove the lens on the HID assembly, so start with trying to repair the HID assembly.