A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

99 A6 starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 A6 starter replacement

Can anyone tell me if I will need to remove anything else to replace the starter? It looks like the cooling lines and the alternator might get in the way but not too sure. I am not in the mood to remove the front end again after two alternators.

Does anyone have a .pdf and or Bentley instructions that can be posted?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

The alternator must be removed.

Are you sure it's the alternator? I've never replaced on in a 2.8. They are super reliable.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The alternator must be removed.

Are you sure it's the alternator? I've never replaced on in a 2.8. They are super reliable.
It is not the alternator, I just replaced that a few months ago. It is the starter. It would click yet not turn over. I took a dead blow and hit the starter and the car started right up.

I will probably have 5280 motorsports in Denver do the work tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RUFUSDESIGN
It is not the alternator, I just replaced that a few months ago. It is the starter. It would click yet not turn over. I took a dead blow and hit the starter and the car started right up.

I will probably have 5280 motorsports in Denver do the work tomorrow.
Sorry - I meant to type "starter". I know it's not the alternator.

Are the wires tight? Ground good? Just be sure you eliminate everything else before yanking out the starter.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

It's not the starter..it's probably the solenoid attached to the starter and unless you can replace just the starter you'll end up with a new/rebuilt starter.

In the next order of unlikely it could be a dead bar/winding on the starter such that bad luck lands you on that bar of the commutator. However, it would be unlikely to keep landing on that dead winding so if you have to repeatedly hit the starter with a Holley Knocker it's the solenoid.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Agreed...always a good thing to wiggle those wires!! Incidentally..they shouldn't' wiggle at the connection!!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing. click, click, click and finally vrooom. but then eventually it would not engage at all. stupid starter solenoid thingy. I got lucky and got a remanufactured starter and alternator off a guy on ebay for $220 shipped for both. =)
the starter is right behind the alternator, sucks but you gotta take the alternator out. service position is enough room to do it, on the 2.7t I had to take the lower turbo piping from the passenger intercooler out, but since you have a 99, its definitely a 2.8, so you wont have a problem with that.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
It's not the starter..it's probably the solenoid attached to the starter and unless you can replace just the starter you'll end up with a new/rebuilt starter.

In the next order of unlikely it could be a dead bar/winding on the starter such that bad luck lands you on that bar of the commutator. However, it would be unlikely to keep landing on that dead winding so if you have to repeatedly hit the starter with a Holley Knocker it's the solenoid.
I am assuming that I cannot replace just the solenoid, I'll take a good look tomorrow. The answers sound just like the problem that I am having. I can get a whole new, (refurb) starter/solenoid for $220, and money isn't the big issue.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

$220 is a lot, like I said i got a OEM Remanufactured STARTER AND ALTERNATOR for $220 inluding shipping, from an auto parts seller on ebay.

The solenoid most likely wouldn't be easy to change, and most likely you will not find it sold seperately. Its just better to change it as a unit.

A click with no cranking is definitely a starter/solenoid problem, especially if your battery is good and engine/tranmission are not locked/broken/frozen, etc...
Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

ohh, and if you are going to change it youself. You might need some good tools. There are 3 bolts for my starter (should be the same as your starter) 2 are accessed from the front (you put your tools through the hole from where the alternator was) the third bolt is accessed through the passenger wheel well AND its a tight spot for a regular socket wrench, you may need a swivel/pivoting head racheting wrench, or one of those old style socket wrench that doesn't rachet because for me there was not enough room for the socket AND the racheting socket wrench, and the angle is bad for a regular wrench that doesn't swivel/pivot. I couldn't even do extensions with a swivel joint... Hopefully you will only have to loosen it enough so you can unscrew the rest of it by hand like I did, and then screw back in by hand (while wiggling the starter so it goes in more) enough so you wont have to curse your car when you tighten it a couple more turns with the tools with barely any space... I'm not even sure if I finished tightening it with tools, I think I had enough for that day and just put the car back together, lol. At least 2 bolts are tight... lol

Last edited by badinstincts; 03-13-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 A6 starter replacement