A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

a6 01 2.7t timing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a6 01 2.7t timing question

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm in the process of changing my water pump and timing belt and I ran into a problem. With my cam locking tool in position my motor is not at tdc, the line is off a bit. I haven't had any motor problems and I don't know if I should line it up before I put the new timing belt on or leave it the way it is. I'm not a master technician just a DIYer so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stop right there!!!!

Originally Posted by shepbears52
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction. I'm in the process of changing my water pump and timing belt and I ran into a problem. With my cam locking tool in position my motor is not at tdc, the line is off a bit. I haven't had any motor problems and I don't know if I should line it up before I put the new timing belt on or leave it the way it is. I'm not a master technician just a DIYer so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
First time TB service I tip my hat to you, however do be advised that if you don't do it right you will have to learn how to replace that engine, no fun and expensive.

Always always use the crank lock pin bolt as it has been mentioned hundreds of times here by the most seasoned respected members including myself, why take the chance of using the damper marks when you do not know if it shifted out as they can do.

When you are at the point of securing the crank with the lock bolt come back with questions about the cam lock bar and I will gladly assist with that line-up if you need to do so.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Support our vendors; Search SiteSearch Audi Crank Pin - T40026 - Crank Locking Pin Tool - ES#262981

Jason can help with questions.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply, I didn't not mention that the old belt is still on and the cam lock bolt can go in now. The cam lock bar is already in place.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the reply, I didn't not mention that the old belt is still on and the cam lock bolt can go in now. The cam lock bar is already in place.
I understand, but when you take the tension off the belt what if the crank shift's? And more so why take that chance??

At the most with shipping a $20 tool is real cheap insurance in my book, I'm very sure most the members would agree with this too.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I already have the lock bolt it came with the lock bar tool. I will go install it now. Will it only screw in when the motor is at TDC?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I already have the lock bolt it came with the lock bar tool. I will go install it now. Will it only screw in when the motor is at TDC?
Cool glad you have it and yes at TDC, but you might have to turn the crank very slightly cw and ccw to find the lock detent point and also take the cam lock off before doing this, then put the cam bar on "this might not happen like you think it will" so we will cover that later, no problem.

Last edited by jcman; 12-11-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with jcman, usage of the crank lock bolt & cam lock bar tools are the right way to do this job. Good to see you've done your homework on this & got the right tools for the job. Be aware that crank lock bolt has a pin end that seats in an alignment hole on the crank when installed correctly.
And don't forget to remove the lock bolt after installing your new TB.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info, between school finals and work I haven't had a chance to finish the job but I will most likely get to it this week.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Group 093

For the 2.7T timing, ideally check with vagcom/vcds measuring group 093 prior to doing the timing belt job to make sure you're within the manufacturing tolerance +/- 4 degree.

Some experienced users were able to improve the timing to almost perfect (e.g. +/- 0 degree) after the timing belt change by fine tuning it in "service position". That is without the accessary belt on, engine running using a fully charged battery etc...

Good luck on your research!

AudiSRS.com :: Cam Timing - Checking with VAG-COM?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: a6 01 2.7t timing question