A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2002 c5 Allroad a/c blowing hot

Old 07-19-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 2002 c5 Allroad a/c blowing hot

hi well had the Allroad for a couple of years now and since just befor last christmas the A/C has been blowing not hot but higher than ambient air.

at the time one of the belts at the front snapped and damaged some other pullys and bit in the front end sorry not very macanicly put but my ability ends at changing a old minis fan belt. and after the garage had fixed these and i got the car back the ac was just blowing hot. any ideas on what the issue is? a work mate said it could be the ac clutch. all i know at the mo is 1) it blows warm. 2) its not forcing the system into Econ 3) when i switch between econ and a/c i dont hear a change in the engine note and 4) the pressure on the low side is high.

I'm sure what ever the issue is its going to cost a fortune but the last 2 days without ac has been a sweaty nightmare.

thanks for any help
Dan
Old 07-19-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

also does anyone know of a good but cheap garage that can do audi in the somerset area of england, the macanic iv always used isnt in his own words much good with more modern cars and has said i sould find someone who knows abit more about audis and VWs
Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The compressor is jammed most likely...

Some debris or lack of lubrication jammed the compressor. The engineers at Denso aka Nipodenso realized this and made the compressor clutch surrounded by a rubber membrane that is suppose to melt and disengage the clutch from compressor so as to not brake the accessory belt. But if the belt is old, chances are against the belt especially if the compressor wasn't lubricated for quite a while.

There is also a thermofuse inside the electromagnet that cuts off power to the electromagnet when it overheats (A/C compressor is not spinning easily and the resistance creates heat, so the thermofuse kicks in disengaging the clutch). The electromagnet is what makes the A/C kick in when voltage is applied to it: it becomes a magnet that pulls the clutch in and makes it stick to the pulley. The pulley always spins when the engine is on. But the clutch that spins the compressor doesn't spin until you push the Auto button and set a temperature that is lower than ambient temperature in summer(hot). The system is really simple. The compressor is just a stupid pump. This pump is spinning and pushing Freon through the system when the clutch is activated via voltage aplied to electromagnet.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default First rule of German cars:

Originally Posted by bdragon122
also does anyone know of a good but cheap garage that can do audi in the somerset area of england, the macanic iv always used isnt in his own words much good with more modern cars and has said i sould find someone who knows abit more about audis and VWs
You can have it cheap, good, or fast. Pick two.

And I don't know a shop in Somerset.