A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 4.2 c5 manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 4.2 c5 manual swap

Hello all,im new to this forum but have been getting alot of info from you guys and decided to join.I have a 2001 A6 4.2 sport,I experienced a couple of Torque Converter bumps then the limp mode thing happened i pulled the code and it is incorrect gear ratio.Im not even considering a auto rebuild.Ive sourced the kit from Audis4parts and have a appt with Tyrolsports in NY this january for my manual swap to be done.There are a few people on here that has done the swap themselves can uguys add any info as far as clutch setup,ECU recoding,drivability,1-2 synchro issue is it to be worried about and is it a night and day diffrence especially having 4:11 gears and a V8 with a 6speed manual compared to the 2:93 in the auto.Thankyou for any help
Old 12-19-2012, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've seen couple of DIY, on google but that was 2.7t. Anyway good luck. If you need helping hands, pm me I'm from ct as well
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Many C5 RS6 owners do this swap once the TQ and/or tranny grenade themselves...

Search http://www.rs6.com/forumdisplay.php/2-RS6-S6-S7-S8 for relevant threads..

Most recent swap thread:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25...ce-TC-for-sale
Old 12-26-2012, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Would like to meet these gurus

Originally Posted by 4.2Crew
Many C5 RS6 owners do this swap once the TQ and/or tranny grenade themselves...

Search http://www.rs6.com/forumdisplay.php/2-RS6-S6-S7-S8 for relevant threads..

Most recent swap thread:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25...ce-TC-for-sale
I have read almost every thread i could find and still dont get tired of these swap threads.Pound for Pound theRS6 is the best all round car Audi built and with a swap it is absolutley perfect.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Once you do it you'll end up with a bunch of codes-lack of communcation with TCU, etc. THe only solution is either A: a custom tune, or B: Flashing your ecu with a euro file and defeating the immobilizer. PM me if you have any questions!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddillenger
Once you do it you'll end up with a bunch of codes-lack of communcation with TCU, etc. THe only solution is either A: a custom tune, or B: Flashing your ecu with a euro file and defeating the immobilizer. PM me if you have any questions!
^^^ this.

You should get a European ECU since they had 4.2 and 6-speed manual. Or else get a euro tune.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

A euro ecu won't accept north american soft coding, and as the s6/s8's have a two stage variable intake runner vs the NA 3 stage, it will have a big hole in the powerband (unless you get an s6/8 intake as well).

In addition, the euro s6/s8 cars have immobilizers. Not sure if the op's car does. In addition, somewhere in 2001 they went to me7.1.1 as opposed to me7.1 in 2000. If you're serious, I can run through a few options for you!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A864.2
Hello all,im new to this forum but have been getting alot of info from you guys and decided to join.I have a 2001 A6 4.2 sport,I experienced a couple of Torque Converter bumps then the limp mode thing happened i pulled the code and it is incorrect gear ratio.Im not even considering a auto rebuild.Ive sourced the kit from Audis4parts and have a appt with Tyrolsports in NY this january for my manual swap to be done.There are a few people on here that has done the swap themselves can uguys add any info as far as clutch setup,ECU recoding,drivability,1-2 synchro issue is it to be worried about and is it a night and day diffrence especially having 4:11 gears and a V8 with a 6speed manual compared to the 2:93 in the auto.Thankyou for any help
Greetings,

Just finished the same swap on a 2000. You can find my thread here, https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2829411, you'll see that JH Motorsport did my conversion, so I was fortunate to be able to have them develop a custom tune for my car. Unfortunately, as I found out, the MY 2000 was the most difficult to reprogram. That being said, they did a fabulous job in recoding the ECU, it runs and drives as if the Audi engineers themselves recoded it.

You're going to love the 4:11 gears with the V8, it wakes the car up. The one downside, is the RPMs the motor spins at while at speed, I believe mine's 3,200 RPM @ 80 MPH, and fuel economy appears to dip into the upper teens. That may be attributed to the fact I just got the car back and have maybe 500 miles logged albeit with a wide grin every time I drive her.

What else besides the swap are you doing? When you visit the thread, towards the end are my comments on every part that was installed in addition to the swap. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love the car when it gets back, keep us posted on the progress.

Joe
Old 11-24-2013, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 6spd Swapped...Front suspension needs lowering

Swap has been completed and works flawlessly almost a year now. The front end lifting (wheel/fender gap increased) has been a a bother ever since then, and is due to the weight loss of removing the trans & Tq conv vs the lighter 6spd gearbox.

1.Question what's the best suspension for the back to sport suspension look. I'm considering ST coilovers or koni fsd / H&R sport or race lowering springs.Does anyone with the 4.2 swap done have any experience resolving this issue.

2. Where can I get a S6/8 2 stage intake ? (shokan audi asking brand new prices for used components) The dreaded dead spot in the high rpm range with the 3 stage intake after the swap needs to be resolved.

3. Future plan is S6/8 cam swap.Coming soon.The car is already fast,with 40-60 hp extra I can't wait to feel the difference. For example You don't realize it because your in 6th gear 80mph 3k rpm accelerate to 4k rpm and you've gained 20 mph, it pulls hard.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A864.2

1.Question what's the best suspension for the back to sport suspension look. I'm considering ST coilovers or koni fsd / H&R sport or race lowering springs.Does anyone with the 4.2 swap done have any experience resolving this issue?
One option is to source stock C5 RS6 springs (front and rear) then install Koni yellow sports to lowering all four corners... RS6 springs are shorter than C5 4.2L sport springs---exactly how much shorter, I don't know... The Koni yellow sports have different grooves for height adjustability.

My lowered C5 with the Koni yellow sport set on lowest perch groove:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: A6 4.2 c5 manual swap