A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 4.2 Tailshaft flange seal repair...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Audi shop I am using wants $198 for labor and $12 for the seal
(Of course $20 each for exhaust clamps and $30 for a liter of gear oil)

I need to find a friend with a lift.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
yup. your description is how i did mine my screws for heat sbield just broke off tho

a definite pain on stands my dealer wanted 40 bucks the the vitron seal crazy
More like $14 at a local euro parts store. Try online.

If your heat shield screws broke, the only thing left is to drill them out like I did.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
The Audi shop I am using wants $198 for labor and $12 for the seal (Of course $20 each for exhaust clamps and $30 for a liter of gear oil)
Try Blauparts Ravenol Gear Oil (75W-90). It works perfectly and is OEM equivalent. I am not associated with Blauparts but, so far, all my experiences (t-belt kit, Trans kit with fluid, Tie-rods, coolant and gear oils etc.) all have been positive and I am very happy with them.

5k miles after the entire job, still not a drop of oil leaking anywhere and the car runs like brand new! Can't ask more than that (for now at least )

I need to find a friend with a lift.
Don't we all?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tester123
Try Blauparts Ravenol Gear Oil (75W-90). It works perfectly and is OEM equivalent. I am not associated with Blauparts but, so far, all my experiences (t-belt kit, Trans kit with fluid, Tie-rods, coolant and gear oils etc.) all have been positive and I am very happy with them.

5k miles after the entire job, still not a drop of oil leaking anywhere and the car runs like brand new! Can't ask more than that (for now at least )

Don't we all?
This guy I have used so far likes using factory fluids, but I was just planning on using Mobil Synthetic gear oil 75w90m if I do it myself.

Since those guys are just up in WI, I might try them out.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 60 Likes on 59 Posts

How do you replace an output seal without removing the shaft?

I need to do this on mine. I am hoping it is not so tough a job. (2.8 Quattro)

For now I am just going to top up the central diff fluid and wait for spring. (Car will not be home till then)
what i meant to say was i did not completely remove it from the car .. just dropped where it attached to the tail flange and dropped the support bracket and swung it out of the way ..
Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
what i meant to say was i did not completely remove it from the car .. just dropped where it attached to the tail flange and dropped the support bracket and swung it out of the way ..
Yes, as has been pointed out.

Well, this car has not spent much time in the salt, so hopefully I won't run into the stuck screw issue.

I also need to do both axle seals on eth rear diff. Those should be easier.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, this car has not spent much time in the salt, so hopefully I won't run into the stuck screw issue.
I think the heat from the exhaust might also contribute to this issue. Plus, the exhaust pipes are below so it's like the shield/transfer case is on a stove when standing still. I never tried heating/torch on the bolts but, that's an option to try out. However, PBlaster multiple sprays and overnight soak might help - hind sight is 20/20, ain't it?

I also need to do both axle seals on eth rear diff. Those should be easier.
Well, YMMV but I just replaced both boots on Front Driverside axle on my 4.2. The Triple roller joint (inner CV joint) WILL NOT come out as the end of the lip is punched to prevent the rollers sliding out. You can press them if you a good vice etc. and take it apart. Too much work/hassle for me. I just cut the boot out, cleaned all the grease using GAS and brake cleaner. Needed to replace both boots anyway so, I removed the outer CV boot and hammered out the inner racer (there is a "C" clip that holds it in place). Pulled everything off the shaft and slide the inner boot on. This way, I didn't have to mess with triple roller side. Rest is outer CV boot, grease, new hardware and clamping it down.