A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 automatic - problems,problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 automatic - problems,problems..

Hello. So.. I own Audi A6 2000 tiptronic with many problems and i'm looking for some help.
1. Really hard twitching when i move gear stick from D to R, P to D...
2. It's not marked on my dashboard in what gear car is ( i hope you know what i mean)
3. Tiptronic doesn't work.
OK, this are the major problems i want to solve first if i can.

Thank you for your help.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Generally the first thing you do is pull the codes using VCDS.
If nothing there, you can drop the xmsn fluid, then the pan and clean it.
If the pan is really filthy with clumps of stuff in it, you might pull the shift solenoids and clean their screens and drop the valve body, split it, and clean the sensor screen inside it.
Put it back together, replace the filter and pan, and refill…there's a specific procedure for filling the trans, there is no dipstick tube to fill it with.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the controller or the wiring to it has a problem.
I would look for codes and try to sort out the electrical part before spending the money on a filter and new fluid.
Sloop, given the symptoms, have you seen dirty screens cause these problems.
(P.S. my advice is based on general knowledge, I have not had this problem on my A6)
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Sounds like the controller or the wiring to it has a problem.
I would look for codes and try to sort out the electrical part before spending the money on a filter and new fluid.
Sloop, given the symptoms, have you seen dirty screens cause these problems.
(P.S. my advice is based on general knowledge, I have not had this problem on my A6)
There has been at least one guy on the forum that had problems with a dirty pan. Clumps, etc. He had a burnt out input speed sensor (which probably set a code, see my comment on checking for codes), granted it was on a 5HP24 vice 5HP19.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-mode-2867489/

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/att...e-dsc05913.jpg

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-25-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be interesting to know if anyone has retrieved a ZF trans from eth dead just by cleaning, or as ZF says, once you are beyond a normal fluid change, you need to rebuild/replace it.

I know on MBs (Transmission of similar technology to our ZFs), there is an electrical connector that goes bad due to fluid leakage that causes al sorts of odd issues like he describes.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by N_Jay
It would be interesting to know if anyone has retrieved a ZF trans from eth dead just by cleaning, or as ZF says, once you are beyond a normal fluid change, you need to rebuild/replace it.

I know on MBs (Transmission of similar technology to our ZFs), there is an electrical connector that goes bad due to fluid leakage that causes al sorts of odd issues like he describes.
This one was pretty much dead IIRC. OF course the input speed sensor was burned out and had to be replaced, but on the way he found:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/att...e-dsc05913.jpg
Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattoo
Hello. So.. I own Audi A6 2000 tiptronic with many problems and i'm looking for some help.
1. Really hard twitching when i move gear stick from D to R, P to D...
2. It's not marked on my dashboard in what gear car is ( i hope you know what i mean)
3. Tiptronic doesn't work.
OK, this are the major problems i want to solve first if i can.

Thank you for your help.
Finally i had time that i went to my friend. So he deleted error codes with Delphi Diagnostic Tool. It's a bit better, now i can see in what gear car is, car is not twitching anymore when i move gear stick, but problem is if i put gear stick to 3 or 2 (4 is working) everything's the same as before (gear not marked,..). Tiptronic still doesn't work.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mattoo
Finally i had time that i went to my friend. So he deleted error codes with Delphi Diagnostic Tool. It's a bit better, now i can see in what gear car is, car is not twitching anymore when i move gear stick, but problem is if i put gear stick to 3 or 2 (4 is working) everything's the same as before (gear not marked,..). Tiptronic still doesn't work.
There is no magic bullet. Drop the pan and see how much crap you have and go from there.