A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 Avant front suspension questions

Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Avant front suspension questions

Hey all, New guy here,
I bought a '01 grey Avant a few months ago and it looks like it needs some front end work. Some of the control arm links don't look so good, and look like they should be replaced. I found one of the 'how-to' articles, but I haven't found a good place to but them yet. The car is just a typical daily driver, so I am not looking for anything hi performance :-) anyone know where I can get good prices for the links?

Thanks
Rusty
Old 08-25-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many places; Amazon through eBay to any of the online German parts sellers.
Pelican Parts, FCP, ECS, Etc.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty105
Hey all, New guy here,
I bought a '01 grey Avant a few months ago and it looks like it needs some front end work. Some of the control arm links don't look so good, and look like they should be replaced. I found one of the 'how-to' articles, but I haven't found a good place to but them yet. The car is just a typical daily driver, so I am not looking for anything hi performance :-) anyone know where I can get good prices for the links?

Thanks
Rusty
Get the p/n and google it.
Wide variety of places to go, I think FCP Euro has lifetime guarantee…nice for a daily driver if you can do the work.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Get the p/n and google it.
Wide variety of places to go, I think FCP Euro has lifetime guarantee…nice for a daily driver if you can do the work.
I agree with the FCP suggestion. I've tested the lifetime warranty/replacement and it works as intended for the customer.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey all, New guy here,

Thanks
Rusty
Rusty, looking bad is one thing. Sounding bad is another. Does it rattle like crazy on bumps? Is the steering sloppy? Can you "feel" the road more than you would like? Then you probably need new suspension links. If you can do the work, Like Sloop John B says, then it's not a big deal. If you have to pay to have it done grab a hold of your wallet. Lots of sources. I have used FCP Euro Parts and Blau used to supply a good kit. Search around and see whats available for about $500 for a complete front end kit. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No they are pretty bad. I can see movement on one of the lower joints, and can hear/feel clunking in the left front. I can do the work, that is not really the problem. Tomorrow I am going to take inventory as to what parts I will need. Just as a curiosity, to replace the cv axles do you have to take off the lower joints, uppers, or both? I was thinking of getting them from rock auto, as the prices looked good, but I have to check shipping first.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No they are pretty bad. I can see movement on one of the lower joints, and can hear/feel clunking in the left front. I can do the work, that is not really the problem. Tomorrow I am going to take inventory as to what parts I will need. Just as a curiosity, to replace the cv axles do you have to take off the lower joints, uppers, or both? I was thinking of getting them from rock auto, as the prices looked good, but I have to check shipping first.
If you need to do axles then get all the parts and do them and the suspension all at once. Get the axles and a good Meyle, or similar suspension kit, and then you can get it all done. No point in doing one thing and then having to go back in a do the other.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

No. You pop the upper control arms off and the entire axle can be removed. Don't replace the entire axle..if the boots aren't torn and rzeppa joint isn't clacking, just clean the joints and reboot. My 2000 4.2A6 didn't have torn boots but around 140k miles the inner boot was leaking so I cut it off and the lube was brown and milky...evidently contaminated. Cleaned up and rebooted no problem.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
No. You pop the upper control arms off and the entire axle can be removed. Don't replace the entire axle..if the boots aren't torn and rzeppa joint isn't clacking, just clean the joints and reboot. My 2000 4.2A6 didn't have torn boots but around 140k miles the inner boot was leaking so I cut it off and the lube was brown and milky...evidently contaminated. Cleaned up and rebooted no problem.
If you do decide to replace the axles (I did because I had non Audi on mine and couldn't service the boots or the joints) I highly recommend raxles.com. Marty is great. I ordered both sides from Raxles for $199 each. Was lucky enough to find a local guy that had a spare set of Audi axles to send in for core (that's one thing he requires or it's and extra $100 per side). Raxles service is excellent and you get Audi shafts back in.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ajg617
If you do decide to replace the axles (I did because I had non Audi on mine and couldn't service the boots or the joints) I highly recommend raxles.com. Marty is great. I ordered both sides from Raxles for $199 each. Was lucky enough to find a local guy that had a spare set of Audi axles to send in for core (that's one thing he requires or it's and extra $100 per side). Raxles service is excellent and you get Audi shafts back in.
Agree with recommendation for Raxles. Marty is a pro. And The product is first rate. Brand new OEM inner and outer joints. Axle comes with 17mm hex socket for axle bolt and triple square for the flange nuts. A great package for the money. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A6 Avant front suspension questions