A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 Colors 2000 and 2002

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A6 Colors 2000 and 2002

I am working on finding a parts car to repair the front end on my son's 2000 A6.
His car is silver, so I am looking for a silver donor car to avoid paining right away.

I have found a silver 2002, but it looks like a little different color (in pictures)

Does anyone know the Audi paint codes and color names so I can double check?
Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default look in the spare tire well for the car's color code.

Originally Posted by N_Jay
I am working on finding a parts car to repair the front end on my son's 2000 A6.
His car is silver, so I am looking for a silver donor car to avoid paining right away.

I have found a silver 2002, but it looks like a little different color (in pictures)

Does anyone know the Audi paint codes and color names so I can double check?
Then compare it with your buddy's car code.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Then compare it with your buddy's car code.
Yes, if and when I go to see the car I will get the codes, but right now I am doing things by remote control and email.

I did find the Edmunds specification page and it shows both years with the same color name. (Hoping that the name and color are a unique pair like some manufacturers.)
Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Yes, if and when I go to see the car I will get the codes, but right now I am doing things by remote control and email.

I did find the Edmunds specification page and it shows both years with the same color name. (Hoping that the name and color are a unique pair like some manufacturers.)
N_Jay I have found that sometimes the clear coat condition makes a world of difference big time on silvers because that is one of the hardest colors to blend-in and match even with the same mix.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Yes…the silver will be the same on both years, same color.

Originally Posted by jcman
N_Jay I have found that sometimes the clear coat condition makes a world of difference big time on silvers because that is one of the hardest colors to blend-in and match even with the same mix.
Audi will generally change the name if they change the paint code.

And yes, silver is hard to match depending on the air ratio used on the gun, whether it's laid on wet or dry, etc. Chances are a used body part with the same color code still won't match exactly because of aging, UV/environmental exposure, etc.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something else to think about too is the wide variety of variances that a color has. From the factory, especially silver, a color changes mildly over the production time. A brand new bumper from January will be a little different from one coming out of the factory in July. It can be close, but same color code does not mean exact match. Colors like black, or red, are going to give you a better chance at matching from a different car, but silver is a tough one. At the same time, if the color is only a little off, and your not entering it in a car show or something, you should be ok. You will be the one that notices it more than anyone else.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Audi will generally change the name if they change the paint code.

And yes, silver is hard to match depending on the air ratio used on the gun, whether it's laid on wet or dry, etc. Chances are a used body part with the same color code still won't match exactly because of aging, UV/environmental exposure, etc.
Yep once the clear coat starts to yellow it changes the tone enough to really notice a difference on a replaced body panel of the same paint code, sometimes a good compound wheel buff straightens it out....sometimes.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not looking for perfection, just trying to avoid color mismatch and/or having to paint the whole car.
Since we are doing the whole front end, it should not be too bad. (The car is already not all original paint)

Guessing at some point over the next couple of years it will be painted or sold. (Hopefully not wrecked.)