A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 Quattro Gearbox issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Quattro Gearbox issue

Hey Guys,
New to the forum, have found a lot of good information here however i still can't diagnose the fault with my 2003 A6 Quattro. Was in a carpark, moved forward then went to go into reverse and heard a clunk. Now the gearbox will select all the gears but will not move. Makes a grinding noise when in D and R, and a clicking noise when returning to Park. Anyone had this before or have some information on possibilities?

Cheers
Tom
Old 05-17-2016, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

are sure you didn't snap an axle or rip out a cv joint ? if one wheel is totally open even with a quarto the car wont move. I know this because I quite embarrassingly had a wheel fall off once, wheel bolts worked there way out and the car was resting on the caliper inside the wheel. shaft was spinning and reving but no go.

Last edited by Airbag; 05-17-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I thought that could be a possibility will definitely check them. Would that explain the grinding noise though?
Old 05-17-2016, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Grinding could be splined axle end that has come undone and is spinning inside the hub or the CV joint partially apart and then basically "eating" itself. As in the lobed star shaped part spinning inside the cage since the ***** in the CV would have fallen out when the joint separated. Could be the inner or the outboard CV joint that failed.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If its not that the transmission blew up inside, then yea broken drive axle. Have somebody watch the axles and flanges on the transmission while you put it in gear, see if one just spins.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Grinding noise is the failed axle. Clicking noise is the park pawl trying to engage but the trans is still spinning like the car is moving due to the failed axle. Not the best thing to do to the park pawl. It's like putting it in park while your driving down the road. Shut the car off and then place it in park to avoid this.
Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

well a 2 poster hit and run .. guess we will never know ..
Old 05-21-2016, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Airbag
well a 2 poster hit and run .. guess we will never know ..
Not Quite. Have only just had time after work to have a look at it last night. Raised the vehicle and put in gear. As suggested the right front driveshaft rotating by itself. Have priced up a new driveshaft and they are quite reasonable. Im just happy it wasn't the transmission itself. I will look at replacing it in a few weeks when time allows and will see if the problem is eliminated. Any one know off hand what tool is required to remove the driveshaft from the transmission? Its sort of like an internal star head of some sort. New to Euros so have never seen it before. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Not sure of the size specific to those bolts but should be a Torx bit that will fit. Craftsman, Snap On, and various tool companies have them in sets for use with standard square drive ratchet sets (3/8 & 1/2 inch drive ). Many tool supplies can sell individual bits if you know what size you need. European cars are not the only ones using these type fasteners. Everyone from Harley Davidson to Ford, Chevy, even heavy trucks are now using a lot of the Torx head fasteners on their vehicles. Either way buy decent bits. If you buy the cheap ones they will either break, the points get rounded off because of poor fit, or the star shaped hole on the bolt gets stripped out. When inserted the bit should fit snuggly in the hole with contact at all the "star" points.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by TomP272
Not Quite. Have only just had time after work to have a look at it last night. Raised the vehicle and put in gear. As suggested the right front driveshaft rotating by itself. Have priced up a new driveshaft and they are quite reasonable. Im just happy it wasn't the transmission itself. I will look at replacing it in a few weeks when time allows and will see if the problem is eliminated. Any one know off hand what tool is required to remove the driveshaft from the transmission? Its sort of like an internal star head of some sort. New to Euros so have never seen it before. Thanks for the help so far.
12 point triple square, size 10 mm.

I bought these from Amazon several years ago and they have held up as nicely as any SnapOn tools that I have...

GearWrench 80572 4 Piece 3/8-Inch and 1/2-Inch Drive 12 Point Metric Bit Socket Set - Gearwrench Triple Square - Amazon.com GearWrench 80572 4 Piece 3/8-Inch and 1/2-Inch Drive 12 Point Metric Bit Socket Set - Gearwrench Triple Square - Amazon.com

Quick Reply: A6 Quattro Gearbox issue