A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

AC PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC PROBLEM

I have a 98 audi a6. When I turn on the ac while driving the car struggles. It kinda feels like it want to stall out and I have to press the gas more to maintain speed. When I do this it kinda jerks forward before it starts driving correctly. It takes a long time (almost an hour if I keep driving for it) to recover fully to where there is no jerking or stalling.
I cant scan the car as of right now!!! I have bought the.cheaper version of ross tech from ebay but worried the software might have a virus.So can anyone suggest off the top of the head what im facing.
I was thinking it was the blower motor but when I use the heater it doesnt seem to affect the vehicle. The fan is making a squeaking noise but it does everytime it comes on to cool the.engine so I am not leaning toward either of them as the issue.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by L Werick
I have a 98 audi a6. When I turn on the ac while driving the car struggles. It kinda feels like it want to stall out and I have to press the gas more to maintain speed. When I do this it kinda jerks forward before it starts driving correctly. It takes a long time (almost an hour if I keep driving for it) to recover fully to where there is no jerking or stalling.
I cant scan the car as of right now!!! I have bought the.cheaper version of ross tech from ebay but worried the software might have a virus.So can anyone suggest off the top of the head what im facing.
I was thinking it was the blower motor but when I use the heater it doesnt seem to affect the vehicle. The fan is making a squeaking noise but it does everytime it comes on to cool the.engine so I am not leaning toward either of them as the issue.
Scan the software for virus's and use it!
Then report back with the errors so we can help you.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a compressor on the verge of locking up.

If the clutch does not fail (or the car is smart enough to drop it out) it will take out the serpentine belt.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with N_Jay. That squealing belt may be coming from the compressor.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blink
I agree with N_Jay. That squealing belt may be coming from the compressor.
I never mentioned a squeaking belt I said the fan makes the noise and it is only the cooling fan thats has no connection with the belt I have found that if I unlock the hood it tends to stop... But that is a whole other post
Old 10-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Sounds like a compressor on the verge of locking up.

If the clutch does not fail (or the car is smart enough to drop it out) it will take out the serpentine belt.
Sounds like something I will have to look into before next summer but as for right now its getting cold so im hoping it can wait. Thanks for the info you know anyway to diagnose the compressor by any chance without scanning?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

AC compressor will run when you put on defrost.