A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

adjustment for wheel alignment ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjustment for wheel alignment ?

Hi ! Witch bolts do i need to loosen when i take a four wheel alignment ?
Want to assure me that the bolt is not stuck when i meet up on the workshop.

It is an sedan 2 wheel drive
Attached Thumbnails adjustment for wheel alignment ?-4wheel.png  
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

the front suspension diagram does not show the tie-rod ends, which are where the front toe-in is adjusted. Very simple, loosen lock nut and turn tie-rod shaft to adjust. There is also a small bolt on the top of the tie-rod connection that adjusts toe-in through some suspension travel. I doubt that most shops even bother with this.

I'm not familiar with the 2 wheel drive version, but from the diagram, I don't think that the rear is adjustable, like it is on the Quattro. Quattro has a concentric bolt for that purpose. Maybe the wheel marked 1 is for alignment, but it looks like it's just a spring perch adjustment. Personally, I would not worry about it, since probably 90% of 4 wheel alignments never have the rear adjusted anyway (unless it's been whacked on a curb). So just get the rear measurements when they do the alignment. If it's way out of spec, I think you might have a bent suspension issue.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. The workshop say they will adjust both toe in and camber front and back, so it should be possible.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A C5 front wheel drive is not equipped with adjustable toe and camber features in the rear. That shop is giving you wrong advise to sell you an alignment. Have them supply you with the printout of the alignment before and after. Look closely at what is called cross-caster, cross-toe and cross-camber. Those #'s should be close to zero indicating that one side matches the other. This promotes a good striaght line behavoir in the chassis. When you ask them to zero the rear cross-toe and cross-camber, let us know what they say.

Last edited by Old_School_Audi; 06-18-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok. the workshop is the main workshop for AUDI and VW so wired they did say that to me

But how does you adjust camber front ?
If i replace the front links exept tie-rod, do i need to do another alignment ? (22, 25, 13, 10, 04)

Last edited by MrAvionics; 06-18-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrAvionics
Ok. the workshop is the main workshop for AUDI and VW so wired they did say that to me

But how does you adjust camber front ?
If i replace the front links exept tie-rod, do i need to do another alignment ? (22, 25, 13, 10, 04)
I was told by a tech that an Audi requires bending the frame to adjust camber/caster. Not sure if that's true, but adjusting toe-in solved my tire wear problems. Mine's a Quattro, though.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Bent rear axle?

I have a 2003 Audi A6 1.9 TDI Avant SE with Sports Suspension.

The inside edge of one of my rear tyres has been completely worn away over the last 15,000 miles. Likewise the inside edges of my two front tyres.

When I took a look at the rear axle the main piece of metal running one side to the other is an upside down 'v' shape. Looking along the length of this piece of metal (along the two points of the 'V') it was not straight it was a bit 'wavy'.

I assume my rear axle is no longer true and is likely to be the reason for the uneven wear on one of my rear tyres.

What are my options to resolve my issues?

I'm guessing the cost of axle repalcement is high so it might be best to just manage the tyre wear on that rear corner?

Is it pointless having 4 wheel allignment carried out? or can something still be done to improve things on the rear?

At the moment I'm considering just two-wheel allignment on the front and managing the rear tyres . . .

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated