A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Advice on cutting cats out.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Eliminate cats and have your car confiscated and crushed.

Originally Posted by spuntuckywoowoo
Hi im new here and also a first time audi owner. I have a 98 a6 quattro that i bought from my sister to help her out and it runs good but not for very long so i took it to a shop and they said i needed to have the maf and throttle body replaced so i did that and it still ran the same. So after that we figured out the cats were plugged, any advice on just getting it straight piped? will it run right?
This is one of the problems with DIY people in this country. In essence you're shatting all over the air everyone else has to breathe.
It's one thing to do it for track or show car use only, but for everyday use it's a finger in the eye to everyone else.

It's unfortunate this forum supports it at all.

Just my $.02.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-10-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
This is one of the problems with DIY people in this country. In essence you're shatting all over the air everyone else has to breathe.
It's one thing to do it for track or show car use only, but for everyday use it's a finger in the eye to everyone else.

It's unfortunate this forum supports it all.

Just my $.02.
Your some type of moron Sloop. This is a guy that's trying to fix his auto, and came here for help. I do not believe his temporary repair is going to destroy our ability to breathe. The Oscar goes to you......for most dramatic post on an Audi forum. Take a bow.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not so. Ad hominem attacks are seldom useful.

Originally Posted by blink
Your some type of moron Sloop. This is a guy that's trying to fix his auto, and came here for help. I do not believe his temporary repair is going to destroy our ability to breathe. The Oscar goes to you......for most dramatic post on an Audi forum. Take a bow.
If you think it's temporary, more power to you. Apparently you choose to run without cats on a permanent basis.

His individual shat is not going to destroy our air anymore than one guy in India defecating in public will contaminate their water supplies. But when millions of Indians defecate in public, their goes the water, cholera, etc.

It's somewhat similar with miscreants who deliberately and illegally defeat the emissions controls. That's why there are federal laws against it.

It's awesome that I could get an Oscar for a $.02 opinion. Cool!

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-10-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Let's see in the 70's we were going to have another ice age if we didn't cut our emissions now we have "climate change". No one is able to scientifically prove anything we do as humans causes this. One volcanic eruption can output more pollutants than we would see if everyone in the US cut off our cats. Fortunately we live in america and can do as we choose. Yes there are epa "laws" that tell us not to but people are not going to jail for it. If you live in an area that doesn't test then have at it.

P.S. If you are that worried about emissions you shouldn't be driving an old Audi.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
Let's see in the 70's we were going to have another ice age if we didn't cut our emissions now we have "climate change". No one is able to scientifically prove anything we do as humans causes this. One volcanic eruption can output more pollutants than we would see if everyone in the US cut off our cats. Fortunately we live in america and can do as we choose. Yes there are epa "laws" that tell us not to but people are not going to jail for it. If you live in an area that doesn't test then have at it.

P.S. If you are that worried about emissions you shouldn't be driving an old Audi.
Here's what I remember about the 70's, being behind cars belching out sick noxious fumes......it's not about Co2....it's about un-burnt hydrocarbons that an overwhelming majority of us seasoned folks that remember DON'T MISS!

Nobody is mentioning fuzzy climate science or the other "Ridiculous" EPA regulations, I agree with Sloop 100% that this regulatory mandate to clean up exhaust emissions applies to everyone and should be viewed as "cleaning up smog emission"....please adhere to the "Good Advice" reason we are on this forum...not the anything goes and it's alright curve.

Last edited by jcman; 08-11-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ahh, the good old days of leaded Sunoco 104….

Originally Posted by jcman
Here's what I remember about the 70's, being behind cars belching out sick noxious fumes......it's not about Co2....it's about un-burnt hydrocarbons that an overwhelming majority of us seasoned folks that remember DON'T MISS!

Nobody is mentioning fuzzy climate science or the other "Ridiculous" EPA regulations, I agree with Sloop 100% that this regulatory mandate to clean up exhaust emissions applies to everyone and should be viewed as "cleaning up smog emission"....please adhere to the "Good Advice" reason we are on this forum...not the anything goes and it's alright curve.
And now we get unleaded Sunoco 104 (if you can find it, it's limited availability) run in 'classic' cars so we can enjoy the fumes. Not to mention Harleys, etc, without cats. BMW motorcycles often have a cat these days.

One of the best things about order of magnitude better manufacturing processes is there are fewer oil-burning smokers out there. I always hated my chevy SB motors with leaking valve stem seals around 80K. Every time I changed heads (slant plug, etc) on an engine I automatically went for the teflon/viton mushroom cap-type even if I had to machine the top of the valve guide boss…those old O-ring seals were minimal and hardened quickly.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke

I agree duke, it's mighty convenient of us to think that in our whole five minutes on the planet, we can bring it's destruction so easily. Earths only been around 4.5 billion years or so. But, if what these guys are saying is right, I will be sure to write a firm letter to spuntucky after he destroys the planet. Chill out, it's just a cat delete.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If everyone removed their cats we still wouldn't have what we had in the 70's. Even our old C5's are better regulated fuel wise than carbureted cars of the 70's. A small group of people removing cats either for performance or to keep an old car on the road will not make a measurable change in emissions for society as a whole.

Also Sloop all modern motorcycles have cats. It's one of the first things people remove when adding performance.

And to wind this up you guys would really hate my Dodge Cummins with all the emissions equipment removed.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

The problem with guys like Duke and Blink think the world revolves around them and they can do whatever they want and not to have to contribute at all to a solution. Imagine if everyone thought like these clowns and no one ran with a cat or just dumped the oil into the ground when they did an oil change.

Ever here of social responsibility and doing whats right ? not want you want .. as the old saying goes doing the wrong thing is easy, doing the right thing is hard. Guess there are lots of guys just looking for the easy route.

Good for you Sloop , I agree with you 100% , we will help fix and troubleshoot every time , but Duke and Blink need to grow up and when their ***** drop , maybe they will gain some maturity and gain a better understanding of our planet as a whole and the people who live on it.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
The problem with guys like Duke and Blink think the world revolves around them and they can do whatever they want and not to have to contribute at all to a solution. Imagine if everyone thought like these clowns and no one ran with a cat or just dumped the oil into the ground when they did an oil change.

Ever here of social responsibility and doing whats right ? not want you want .. as the old saying goes doing the wrong thing is easy, doing the right thing is hard. Guess there are lots of guys just looking for the easy route.

Good for you Sloop , I agree with you 100% , we will help fix and troubleshoot every time , but Duke and Blink need to grow up and when their ***** drop , maybe they will gain some maturity and gain a better understanding of our planet as a whole and the people who live on it.
Are you kidding? You drive older model cars that would be outlawed if they rolled off the assembly line today. No only that, but multiple cars. If you want to do your part, sell your cars, and ride a bicycle instead. You, similar to sloop, choose to preach on an issue that you youselves are not part of. Stop being cry babies. I'm a car enthusiast, I always have been. You guys are the people that drive the speedlimit, and shake your fingers at those who choose the fast lane. I pity you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on cutting cats out.