A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Airbag light is on

Old 11-26-2016, 06:20 PM
K-V
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light is on

So I have had my 2001 Audi A6 for three months and didn't really take notice.. but my Airbag light has been on the whole time..

What does this mean? Is it worth going to the garage to fix it?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2016, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

There are some electrical connectors under the front seats that sometimes pull apart when seats are moved a lot or moved to the extreme limits of their reach. The airbag light came on, on my car once when I had it at the dealer. Their tech had re-positioned my driver seat when he moved the car into the shop (he was a rather tall person). When I went back to get my car and discovered the problem I brought it to their attention and they said it was fine when they parked it. (BS!) I had to make another appointment for them to look at it, then still claiming it wasn't anything they did to cause the problem I was charged $150 to get it corrected. The told me that it was a bad connection under the driver seat. That was the last time it went to the dealer. Start checking the electrical connections under the seats. A mirror will be helpful.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:32 AM
K-V
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
There are some electrical connectors under the front seats that sometimes pull apart when seats are moved a lot or moved to the extreme limits of their reach. The airbag light came on, on my car once when I had it at the dealer. Their tech had re-positioned my driver seat when he moved the car into the shop (he was a rather tall person). When I went back to get my car and discovered the problem I brought it to their attention and they said it was fine when they parked it. (BS!) I had to make another appointment for them to look at it, then still claiming it wasn't anything they did to cause the problem I was charged $150 to get it corrected. The told me that it was a bad connection under the driver seat. That was the last time it went to the dealer. Start checking the electrical connections under the seats. A mirror will be helpful.
Thank you. So is this something that is major? If I crash will the airbag deploy?

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There are code readers that will tell more about why the airbag light is on. The best ones are for Audi or VW only. VCDS is the one used by the serious DIY. Otherwise go to an Indy Audi shop that specializes in this vintage. Some faults that trigger the light will still allow the airbags to work. Others not. Don't guess, find out.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default If the airbag light is on the system is generally not armed.

Originally Posted by K-V
Thank you. So is this something that is major? If I crash will the airbag deploy?

Thanks.
It most likely will not deploy in the case of an accident.

Search this Thread