A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Are all ignition coil created equal ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all ignition coil created equal ?

Now that the timing belt is behind, it's time for the next step. I did some research and the copper NGK BKR7E seem to be best for a tuned car running high octane fuel. But how about the coils ? Are some better than others? My research didn't lead to any conclusions.

Thank you all
Old 07-29-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Coils either work or they don't. Also as you haven't posted the year and motor your car has it's difficult to provide good information. Earlier years still use ICM's and 3 wire coils. Later years (BEL motor) don't have ICM's and use 4 wire coils.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

yeah, I think the year and model would be needed. 2000 A6 2.7
Old 07-29-2016, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by GroupBquattro
yeah, I think the year and model would be needed. 2000 A6 2.7
The original equipment ones seems pretty good. I have had new (chinese) ones fail after a month... I carry around a couple in case one fails on a trip, and the cost of a used one is quite a bit less than a new from from an autoparts dealer.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
The original equipment ones seems pretty good. I have had new (chinese) ones fail after a month... I carry around a couple in case one fails on a trip, and the cost of a used one is quite a bit less than a new from from an autoparts dealer.
So those fancy ones sold by ECS or other tuners aren't really bringing anything new to the game, correct ?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheap ones suck. I have good luck with Denso, Beru, and Bosch. The karolyn/STI coils are just garbage, Meyle Suck. Any coil from a random parts store is junk.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you want to spend some money then this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...n1saAnR98P8HAQ
Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I've had one or two of the bolt-on coils fail in 15 years.

Originally Posted by georgeb944
On two V8s. Easy to find/check/replace with VCDS. Usually I don't even try to swap coils to a non-error hole. I just slap in my spare and when it fixes the problem I order a new coil for my spare.

PS: Be very careful with removing and replacing a crush gasket (rather than a cone-no-gasket) spark plug. I will never do that again. Those gaskets are good really for only one time install. Reinstalling them attempts to crush the gasket further and often it won't and then the plug leaks (high compression v8, 11:1 or more) and combustion gases eat out the aluminum threads and pop the plug (ask me how I know this!). Repairing a blown spark plug hole is a 45-90 minute job the first time you do it carefully and about $200 in tooling. No dealer will touch it (they don't have the tools, an independent might, dunno what the cost is) other than to replace the entire head. $$$$ to replace the head. A new plug is a lot less expensive.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 07-30-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
If you want to spend some money then this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...n1saAnR98P8HAQ
Actually this is exactly what I was considering, think I'm going for it.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GroupBquattro
Actually this is exactly what I was considering, think I'm going for it.
Not necessarily better performance but it eliminates the ICM's. I've never owned a car with ICM's but I read about people having issues with them all the time. My two cars without ICM's have never had a coil issue.

Quick Reply: Are all ignition coil created equal ?