A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Another wiper thread, sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another wiper thread, sorry!

Guys, car is a 2002 A6 2.7TT Sedan. I'm having issues with the passenger (LHD) wiper missing larger sections of the windscreen/shield. It seems as if the curve of the windscreen is not consistent throughout the sweep of the wiper, but the blade (New set of OEM aero) seems to stay set at the curvature of the 'park' position but misses sections halfway across the sweep.

I suspect the arm is not putting enough tension on the (frame-less)blade. Only thread I found here suggested the 'pivot points where the blade joins the arm' were corroded, but with the 'wedge' fitting it is rigidly mounted, not pivoted.

I ground a little piece of material away where the part of the arm that caries the blade pivots against the short part of the arm that bolts to the spindle, to allow the blade carrier to 'drop lower' towards the window, but to no avail.

Do the springs in the arm go weak, and if so, will heating them cause them to contract (exert more pressure) or expand (relax the tension?)?

Help please!

K9
Old 01-23-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by K9COP
Guys, car is a 2002 A6 2.7TT Sedan. I'm having issues with the passenger (LHD) wiper missing larger sections of the windscreen/shield. It seems as if the curve of the windscreen is not consistent throughout the sweep of the wiper, but the blade (New set of OEM aero) seems to stay set at the curvature of the 'park' position but misses sections halfway across the sweep.

I suspect the arm is not putting enough tension on the (frame-less)blade. Only thread I found here suggested the 'pivot points where the blade joins the arm' were corroded, but with the 'wedge' fitting it is rigidly mounted, not pivoted.

I ground a little piece of material away where the part of the arm that caries the blade pivots against the short part of the arm that bolts to the spindle, to allow the blade carrier to 'drop lower' towards the window, but to no avail.

Do the springs in the arm go weak, and if so, will heating them cause them to contract (exert more pressure) or expand (relax the tension?)?

Help please!

K9
The only adjustment known is the blade angle something like 9 degrees, it's adjusted by a tool that looks like a block with a angle indicator that slides over the arm end with the blade off and you manually bend it to the angle, if I were doing it I'd use two small adjustable wrench's one to support and the other to adjust with the blade on.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jcman; 01-23-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default blade adjustment is just that, angle to the windshield of the blade.

Originally Posted by jcman
The only adjustment known is the blade angle something like 9 degrees, it's adjusted by a tool that looks like a block with a angle indicator that slides over the arm end with the blade off and you manually bend it to the angle, if I were doing it I'd use two small adjustable wrench's one to support and the other to adjust with the blade on.
Won't help the issue of blade not conforming to the windshield at the outer edge.
Heating the spring will just detemper and weaken it, make it worse.

I wonder if the arm isn't bent. I just went out and found my OEM S6 blades touch the windscreen at all points, and in the park position (worsts case) adequately pressure the blade on the windscreen. Moreover, lifting the inner end of the passenger side blade gives about 3-5mm play before the blade hits the wiper arm.

A picture of the problem would be useful, but I suspect either bent arm(s) or worn/weakened springs.

I believe ECStuning.com has a retrofit kit to go to the modern blades.

Audi C5 A6 Quattro 2.7T Search SiteSearch Wiper Kit - C5A6BAWK - Front Aero Wiper Kit - ES#4841
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just thought of something, an answer to the OP.
Did the car come factory equipped with flex blades?
Non-flex arms use a J-hook, flex arms use a mounting block.

The reason I ask after reading your initial post you did mention the blade not pivoting on the wedge mount and if you have that wedge it does pivot, I know this because my 04 has the same arm and the first time I replaced the factory flex blades I noticed a stiffness in the action and here is what I did, take off the blade and put a towel on the windshield so the arm don't smack down on the glass and spray the mount block "wedge" with PB Blaster or an equivalent penetrating oil and use an adjustable wrench to free-up the block's pivot action, when the blade is back on it will swivel as it should.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jcman; 01-23-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default good point. my 02S6 has a J-hook

Originally Posted by jcman
I just thought of something, an answer to the OP.
Did the car come factory equipped with flex blades?
Non-flex arms use a J-hook, flex arms use a mounting block.

The reason I ask after reading your initial post you did mention the blade not pivoting on the wedge mount and if you have that wedge it does pivot, I know this because my 04 has the same arm and the first time I replaced the factory flex blades I noticed a stiffness in the action and here is what I did, take off the blade and put a towel on the windshield so the arm don't smack down on the glass and spray the mount block "wedge" with PB Blaster or an equivalent penetrating oil and use an adjustable wrench to free-up the block's pivot action, when the blade is back on it will swivel as it should.
But the same thing could happen with the mounting block in the blade for the J-hook. The blades are long enough that they provide a long lever arm but if it were sticking a little bit of teflon spray would go a long ways.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
But the same thing could happen with the mounting block in the blade for the J-hook. The blades are long enough that they provide a long lever arm but if it were sticking a little bit of teflon spray would go a long ways.
02 was a iffy year so if he has the J-hook with new blades the problem is defiantly something else like you mentioned, in Europe they call the newer style a slide lock mount.
I'd bet that new A5 you have has the slide lock mount.

Last edited by jcman; 01-23-2015 at 01:34 PM.