A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Any A6 2.8 no start gurus want to scratch thier heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
"low current wire to starter "

this was the first thing i thought of actually ...

when you go to "start " position on the key does the actuating wire for the starter solenoid give you 12v ..

i had this EXACT issue. on mine i found that i read about 11.75 so thought that was okay so moved on . As it turns out that wire was completely coroded about 12 inches up iside the insulation .. after about 12 inches i had clean wire so i soldered in a new piece with a new connector on the end .. Boom the thing started ...

My old Audi 90 had issues with the ignition switch but that was more just accesories not working.

Good luck
I think the OP covered that on his post#5.

The clue is most obvious when he said that during a jump it starts.
Here is my answer, the load reduction relay directs as much battery current to the starter by opening the main bus contact to other current loads when the key switch is in the start position and when released the power is back to the other loads, this is why the car will not start with one battery, now it is possible that the one or more of the 5 ignition switch contacts are weak too like the one going to the relay or the relay is bad.

We can't go on a park position safety switch or a clutch engagement switch, that wouldn't be logical if it starts with battery jump, not that you or anyone else mentioned this.

Just drawing down conclusions.

Last edited by jcman; 01-20-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jcman
I think the OP covered that on his post#5.

The clue is most obvious when he said that during a jump it starts.
Here is my answer, the load reduction relay directs as much battery current to the starter by opening the main bus contact to other current loads when the key switch is in the start position and when released the power is back to the other loads, this is why the car will not start with one battery, now it is possible that the one or more of the 5 ignition switch contacts are weak too like the one going to the relay or the relay is bad.

We can't go on a park position safety switch or a clutch engagement switch, that wouldn't be logical if it starts with battery jump, not that you or anyone else mentioned this.

Just drawing down conclusions.
yeah i see that now . I think you are right if OP can start it repeatedly that way .
Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah i see that now . I think you are right if OP can start it repeatedly that way .
At this point I doubt that the OP will even report back, that's a shame because others might need to know about this happening to them and what remedy cures the problem.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i just had a though about this ...

Op did no say HOW he jumpered it in the engine bay. did he do both posts of the battery , or one post of the battery and a ground some place.

could it still not be the ground starp from the battery to the car ? if he puts positive jumper cable on the battery and negative to a solid ground point , he has bypassed the original car connection from battery to the body on the negative side .

just musing..

Last edited by Airbag; 01-21-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcman
At this point I doubt that the OP will even report back, that's a shame because others might need to know about this happening to them and what remedy cures the problem.
thats ok .. if we think about it long enough we will come up with hypothetical solution others can use
Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i just had a though about this ...

Op did no say HOW he jumpered it in the engine bay. did he do both posts of the battery , or one post of the battery and a ground some place.

could it still not be the ground starp from the battery to the car ? if he puts positive jumper cable on the battery and negative to a solid ground point , he has bypassed the original car connection from battery to the body on the negative side .

just musing..
My thoughts are that he knows what he is doing at this point, most seasoned technician's are logical minded but still need to know all the pieces to make the picture clearer.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thats ok .. if we think about it long enough we will come up with hypothetical solution others can use
This is where Columbo would reenact the scenario to prove the point, we really don't want to loose members in a becoming obsolete forum of passer bye's.