A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone with a 3.0 solve a mulitple random misfire issue lately?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad

Originally Posted by jcman
How did it run at .034 and are they new?
My understanding is that the gap is basically determined by the electrode material and that can vary with spark plugs i.e. copper, platinum or iridium yet the engine does call for .044 gap based on factory platinum plugs.

Here is my point, I have a 2004 with the AVK 3.0 at 50k miles I put NGK pre-gapped Iridium's with no problems at 88k on the clock.
It was still misfiring with the .034 still would idle just ran bad
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a long shot but if all cylinders are misfiring, could it be your fuel pressure regulator? Hopefully when you check the vacuum line to the FPR there is no fuel shooting out from there.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ^^^This^^^

Seems very logical indeed.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

turned out to be a camshaft position sensor. They are only $30 each. You can disconnect them as well for a test and the engine will run.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xgfuy
turned out to be a camshaft position sensor. They are only $30 each. You can disconnect them as well for a test and the engine will run.
That's great but how did you diagnose it and is it relative to the Haxzawbuddy post?

Or are your findings a remedy relative to the OP's thread??

The problem with these threads are mainly what enters into them that will confuse the tar out of someone looking for a "on subject" answer.

Last edited by jcman; 01-31-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Strange

Today i drove the car it did well cleared codes kept getting a cyl 3 misfire 6 and 2 popped a cpl times as well but always 3 i was told these coil packs were new i dont blv so. I will b installing new packs and plugs in a cpl days will post results as for fuel pressure all 6 injectors have excellent pressure and good atomization so fuel system seems good at around 1400rpm it smooths out very well plus i hae alot of power good acceleration aside from the miss there is no bogging down of motor so i blv cats are ok as well will post updates ty all
Old 02-09-2015, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Gonna shoot it!

Ugh ok i replaced all coil packs and all spark plugs today it is still misfiring on cyl 3. I was told it was possibly a knock sensor issue caused by the tensioner pulley being weak causing a vibration and the knock sensor was picking it up and misfiring the engine. Is that possible? it needs a new belt anyway so im going to replace it for sure either way. I also would like to double check the vacuum lines i redid so if anyone has a vacuum diagram that would be excellent. Car has excellent acceleration though once its above 2k rpm it seems the misfire goes away. Im not sure with this one.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Bringing up this post.
I own 2003 a6 with ASN engine.
Having trouble with p0300, p0306,p0305,p0304
So cylinder 4,5,6 are misfiring. cylinder 6 is ALOT more worse than other.
I've changed spark plugs, chaned coils. Tried even 1.8t engine coils. no effect. always same codes same cylinder.
I dissasembled the head and cams look perfectly fine. like brand new.
Car starts up fine and has power no issue. When rpm's closer to 2k, then engine fault light starts blinking.
I feel no misfire when driving.
When idle, I can feel the misfire.

What can I do what can I check? I attached few pictures from live data. maybe someone can help me?

Old 05-11-2022, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Citizen

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

AFAIK, a blinking MIL indicates (dangerous) everheating in the exhaust system. Have you done anything to determine catalytic converter health? Any chance at least one is plugged or damaged?

I like to check them (inlet/body/outlet) with a temp gun to see what temps they are running at, and if one is hotter than another.

Plugged cats can cause misfires due to spent gases not being properly moved out of the cylinders.

Last edited by KMTSME; 05-11-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KMTSME
AFAIK, a blinking MIL indicates (dangerous) everheating in the exhaust system. Have you done anything to determine catalytic converter health? Any chance at least one is plugged or damaged?

I like to check them (inlet/body/outlet) with a temp gun to see what temps they are running at, and if one is hotter than another.
First time ever I saw blinking engine light
Like once a month I get error code: Catalytic converter pre heating..... Not sure about the code or rest of the text
The exhaust is leaking littlebit before cat.
But its been leaking the same for the 6months already.
I'll try to find thermalcam and check temps before and after both catalytic converters.

ALSO
when I drive on the highway 120kmh and takeover someone with full throttle. I get error codes p0024 ( camshaft position (bank2) Timing over-advanced
But I clear it and dont see it after that.

//EDIT
Directly from audi: If your Audi check engine light is flashing, it indicates an engine misfire, which means fuel is not getting burnt efficiently in the cylinders.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a 3.0 solve a mulitple random misfire issue lately?