A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Armrest lid

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Armrest lid

I just found a used replacement for my broken off armrest lid but it is in rough shape. Has anyone every tried painting an armrest? ALso, -- any tips or tricks n how to install this lid would be appreciated (I don't want to bust it!). A6 2004
Old 05-21-2010, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yes you can have it re-dyed by...

an auto upholstery shop. The arm rest lid is very easy to remove. IIRC, open the lid, there are (2) two pegs, one one each side toward the back of the storage compartment, the pegs are part of the hinge. just squeeze them together and remove the lid.

Originally Posted by sodowarts
I just found a used replacement for my broken off armrest lid but it is in rough shape. Has anyone every tried painting an armrest? ALso, -- any tips or tricks n how to install this lid would be appreciated (I don't want to bust it!). A6 2004
Old 05-21-2010, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

For any interior surface that can see very high levels of wear like the armrest or even a steering wheel cover, replacing the cover with one that's manufactured in the preferred color probably will yield better results in the long term. Dyes and elastomeric paints, like SEM Color Coat, can only tolerate so much wear before the original color makes an encore appearance.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed...when mine started to look tired, I bought a new piece from the dealer.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Please forgive me for being an archeologist and digging up this old topic. I need to replace the lid on my '05 A6, but cannot determine how to detach the lid. Here is what it looks like with lid up. @A6Sport: where are the pegs you mentioned?

This angle is looking into console from dash toward backseat.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Follow the tip above. The two little curved arms (the hinge) have short pegs at the end. By pinching them toward each other the cover pops right off. The weak point is actually the hinge arms which tend to snap off over time. I actually bought a replacement lid for my '04 that matched the interior dead on. Came from China, bought on EBay for about $15 American. If you do the search for the part on EBay, you will get dozens of hits. Suggest re-enforcing the arms of the hinges prior to installation. There are narrow channels on the hinge arms that are formed during the injection molding process. Mix up some epoxy cement and fill the channels with it. Let it fully set then install.
***Correction****
Looks like the arms on your unit need to spread instead of pinch together. Either way it will become readily apparent when you start to manipulate the hinge arms.

Last edited by Harleyguy; 07-13-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default The leather or vinyl part can be separated from the old one and

transferred to the new one. Generally the deformed plastic pins underneath the old top get broken off so you have to glue the old top to the new frame after you remove the new top from the new frame.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
Follow the tip above. The two little curved arms
Looks like the arms on your unit need to spread instead of pinch together. Either way it will become readily apparent when you start to manipulate the hinge arms.
THAT'S it!! I was super confused! Dude, THANKS of replying!!
Old 07-13-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do you remember how you searched for part? Part # or name?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristone
Do you remember how you searched for part? Part # or name?
I bought a new one on ebay, cheap, using the following search "audi a6 c5 armrest"

Quick Reply: Armrest lid