A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi A6 Quattro 2.7 T 2004 year ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 Quattro 2.7 T 2004 year ...

i bought it but seams that the guy who sold it to me hide clever few things or i didnt saw them on time ...so here i am on this forum asking few questions ...first of all i have water leak in front passenger seat and at the back ...i tryed everything i saw online ...i cleaned the drain under the battery even tho it was pretty clean ...i saw the plastic is good against the windshield ...and i have no idea what else can it be ...another thing i wanted to ask ...my check engine light went on and mechanic told me it is the cat converter that i need to change ...since i live in NY he said left and right each one 1300$ ... you would think this is space shuttle not a car LOL now my question is i have found 2001 audi a6 quattro for parts and will that cat conv. fit my 2004 year ....other then that i am taking the car today for tune up to change at least water pump and time belt ...so if someone has some answers ...i would be glad to read them ...and one more thing ...if you see spelling mistakes try not to laugh i am not american
thank you
Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Chances are the cats are not gone, flex pipes.

Originally Posted by Kire Dimoski Brusli
i bought it but seams that the guy who sold it to me hide clever few things or i didnt saw them on time ...so here i am on this forum asking few questions ...first of all i have water leak in front passenger seat and at the back ...i tryed everything i saw online ...i cleaned the drain under the battery even tho it was pretty clean ...i saw the plastic is good against the windshield ...and i have no idea what else can it be ...another thing i wanted to ask ...my check engine light went on and mechanic told me it is the cat converter that i need to change ...since i live in NY he said left and right each one 1300$ ... you would think this is space shuttle not a car LOL now my question is i have found 2001 audi a6 quattro for parts and will that cat conv. fit my 2004 year ....other then that i am taking the car today for tune up to change at least water pump and time belt ...so if someone has some answers ...i would be glad to read them ...and one more thing ...if you see spelling mistakes try not to laugh i am not american
thank you
You might try using spark plug anti-fouler extensions on the rear oxygen sensors of the cats if cat efficiency is the problem. If the cat is truly bad, it won't help but it's a cheap kluge if it works.

As for the price of new OEM cats; the car was over $50K new over 12 years ago, parts prices go nowhere but up and the OEM cat was designed to last 10 years and 80K miles; they usually go for several hundred thousand if the engine is maintained.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

thank you
2001 down pipes won't fit 2004. The turbos have a different output flange.

I suspect Sloop is correct. Most often the flexpipes start to leak and the car will throw a code saying the cats are not working properly. I would have the flex pipes replaced and if that doesn't solve it move on to the o2 spacers.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

well i have found complete left and right with everything for 740$ ....now you have these cars longer ...how much time will they need to replace the cat conv ....and i wanted to ask you one more thing ....when tune up is done on this car what is actualy supose to be done on the car ? because i can understand living in NY costs more maybe then on other places ...but working 3h labor for changing for changing spark plugs and fuel filter ....damn ....
Old 11-25-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Best option is to do it yourself.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I'm not very good but 3h is about what it would take me

well i have found complete left and right with everything for 740$ ....now you have these cars longer ...how much time will they need to replace the cat conv ....and i wanted to ask you one more thing ....when tune up is done on this car what is actualy supose to be done on the car ? because i can understand living in NY costs more maybe then on other places ...but working 3h labor for changing for changing spark plugs and fuel filter ....damn ....
to do 8 plugs on a 4.2 and the fuel filter (2K4.2A6 or 02S6). The fuel filter is worse than the plugs, and my coilovers are held in with bolts: Even though I rip the mounting bolts out with an impact wrench and put them back in with one ( ⅜ ratchet impact hand start, then trigger, then torque), I spin out the old plugs with an impact wrench (after loosening/tightening to dump any carbon on any protruding threads, generally not an issue) but spin them back in with antiseize by hand and torque by hand.

Fuel filter MAYBE once every 60-80K miles...it's not scheduled IIRC. Plugs on a 4.2 every 30K miles. And BTW, I've NOT noticed a change in performance with 30K changes. I suspect 50-60K would be ok. The plugs looked brand new at 30K. Turbo engines, YMMV.

You sometimes have to consider what the best use of your time is. I do the plugs on my E46M3 and although it's easier than the 4.2 (except for having to remove the cabin filter housing and the strut-bar) I DID notice a difference in performance after changing plugs even though the plugs I removed looked ok, sharp not rounded edge on center electrode, gap ok, etc.). For some reason the shop wants to charge an arm and a leg for six plugs on the M3 too.

My advice would be to change the spark plugs and fuel filter on your car by yourself. Watch out for fuel dump on the fuel filter...it can run out of both hoses/connections but the one to the tank is the worst one, use a clamp on the rubber lines if you can or work quickly!!!!
Old 11-25-2016, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I personally would not rush out to replace the cats. Over the few years I have been on this site I've seen several times where cats were supposedly the issue identified as the problem only to later learn they were not necessary. If they are indeed bad waiting a few days or so to take care of other related items first will not hurt the cats any more if they are indeed dead. You may find replacing plugs and O2 sensors, EGTs, or whatever other items that are also triggering DTCs or installing spacers may resolve your bad cat codes.

If you are not a DIY then find an Indy that specializes in C5 Audi and get their diagnosis first. Or, spend several hours reading in the archives here about your issues and how they were solved. These cars fast become very costly if you just let others start installing parts bases simply on DTCs.

I once had several people tell me I had to replace my cats only to resolve the DTCs for less than $100 after exhaustive reading and learning. Just depends on how much time you are willing to invest. I have two C5s with the 2.7. Both with 200,000 miles or so. Both still have the original cats.

Also, do some reading about cheaper after market cats. I understand many of them do not last very long. But, do not just ignore the DTCs or you may kill your cats by doing nothing.

I agree three hours to replace plugs and fuel filter sounds excessive. Even as an amateur DIY I could do these in well under two hours. Closer to one hour.

Last edited by clancy; 11-25-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i really like the car ....but it seams it has so many problems ....and i dont have the tools to fix it or garage ...so i will see what a mechanic will say...if the cost of fixing is under 2k i will fix and drive it ...if it is more then that ....i will sell it and get another car that wont be audi ...
Old 11-28-2016, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i really like the car ....but it seams it has so many problems ....and i dont have the tools to fix it or garage ...so i will see what a mechanic will say...if the cost of fixing is under 2k i will fix and drive it ...if it is more then that ....i will sell it and get another car that wont be audi ...
Audi's are not cheap to maintain. Older models are pretty cheap to buy but parts and labor at a shop that knows what they are doing isn't cheap. This isn't an Audi specific situation either. BMW and Mercedes are in the same boat. Keep in mind the original purchase price and realize that is the level of car you will have to maintain. I've had a few things replaced under my CPO warranty on my A8 and the parts alone would have been over $2000 dollars. If you throw dealership labor on top of that it would have been over $4000. And this is all for minor stuff. But when you keep in mind the sticker price on my A8 was $111,345 it's not that surprising.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are not a DIY then this is likely not the car for you. As said above, this was an expensive car when new and has many costly performance type components. These parts will need to be replaced in a 10+ year old car. You might be able to resolve the current issues for $2000 but that will not mean the car is good to go for another 100,000 miles. There will be other parts that need replacement soon.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 Quattro 2.7 T 2004 year ...