A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 02:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

Bad problem, Audi A6 won't start up (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad problem, Audi A6 won't start up (long)

Hey everyone.
I finally got my FIRST Audi A6 Quattro. it's a 1998 year model, but it's condition (exterior and interior) are excellent.
Only one door dent and a few scratch at one side, which I will get it fix and the interior is perfect, with only some stains on the roof area, so I will shampoo later today.

I drove 300miles down and drove 300 miles back to NY after I paid for it, from Washington DC all the way back to NY upstate. So the engine is all good, and I love the AWD (Quattro) it's very nice.

Today I finally drove to DMV to get my new Audi A6 2.8L Quattro to register.
After 2 hrs of annoying waiting, I got out with my new license plate. I mount them on, and ready to go to work. already 2 hrs late.

I start my car... and it won't start up! What??

Now this is my questions:
2 days ago, in the morning, when really cold (around 40F) I have to crank the car for over 30 second before it starts up. so then, I thought, shoot, something is not good, but I thought it was related to the temperature.

Today at DMV, it's like 70F outside. and I just drove the car from my apartment to DMV, so it works 2 hrs ago. then it is not. and this time, I cranked it CONTINUOUSLY for about 40 second. nothing. I do it again, and again. check my gear at PARK, pump the gas, open the hood, etc etc. NOTHING. it will crank. and the crank is very STRONG and consistent. but not starting up.

Then from my previous post, I said I have a check engine light which my scanner cannot read it, but I just plug in my ODB-II scanner in there again just to see, and this time, I spit out a P0200 code which is "Injector Circuit Malfunction"
So I was like... WHAT? and when I got the car, I did got a code saying "one Injector open circuit" (something like that) but that never shows up after I clear it. so now, it's the injector circuit malfunction, and that unknown code is gone.
after sitting there, tried like 10 times, it works finally. but it is like.. DON"T wnat to start... when I crank, the RPM is like 10-50RPM lol.. so I step on the gas pedal, and eventually, it goes higher and higher and got to idle RPM.

Now I am thinking.. can it really be the injector circuit? and what is it that it is saying malfunction? and where?
I am very new to Audi, so I have no clue what it is. and I am really worry it will die in the middle of the road. so someone please help ASAP! I need this car to get to work!

More info:
no back fire, no smoke, no rough idle.

When I mean it rev up slowly, it's like:
I keep turning the key to the crank position. and it will keep cranking and cranking. and NOTHING. just keep cranking. and after like 10 times of retry today (in 30 mins) the last time, I hear something different.
like gar gar gar.. grroh.. ... gar gar gar.. grroh... so it seems like it finally want to start up. like no fuel or no spark. or etc. so I step on the gas pedal and continue to crank it. and it start to get more frequent (in terms of the "grroh")
So after another 5 second or so, it starts up but it dies right away. so right before it dies, I give it MORE gas, and it is up and running, and after like 5 second on the gas pedal, I let go, and it idle smoothly at 700RPM. I drove home, and shut it off, and restart it, it turn over right away. and smoothly too. so this is my SECOND time it happen like this.
and the ONLY check engine light I got right now is "injector Circuit Malfunction"
So I have no clue what is wrong.

Thanks alot.
Gil
Old 10-04-2005, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

could be ecm wiring or some other injector problem
Old 10-04-2005, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default any other codes?

p020(1-6) would limit it to injector problems might want to check your injector wiring...if you had vag com or could find someone to scan your car with it it would narrow it down a lot
Old 10-04-2005, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default physical symptoms of cold and weak start.. are usually the battery.

One cell went. This still leave power for the car to start.. but weak. It als allows the car to ecellerate the burning out of the remaining cells ion the battery.. normal occurance. IMHO its your battery.

The other codes I think are phantoms caused by the drain and attempts to start. Not enough power going to the other systems. Once the battery is in, have the codes cleared and see if they come back.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

makes sense enough power for starter but not toarc a plug...
Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default But the battery is in good condition (shown by the gauge)

Sup guys. Thanks for the reply.
Well, if the battery is dying, how come it lasted me over (added up total of) 3-5 minutes of cranking. if a battery is no good, it won't last that long.

And for code, only that one. so I will see if any other code pops out later on.
Thank all.

Any other help is appreciated.
Gil
Old 10-05-2005, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've seen that with bad ignition switches or fuel pump relays.

Might be worth checking.

BTW, the fuel pump relay powers more than the fuel pump, including the injectors and coils.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Please help guys... help!!

Today is my third time. It seems like it's the same as my second time. I drove home from work at 10PM, took a shower, and eat lunch, then at 12, I went out to start the car. SAME THING.. keep cranking, but won't start.

I checked the Check Engine Code again. Same as what i erased yesterday. "Injector Circuit Malfunction" (P0200) I cannot even fine P0200 at the code list. what's sup?

So I took of #2 spark plug, and I crank the car. at first I see a tiny mist shoot out (for the first 1 second of cranking) then after there, no more. so I guess it's what is left in the car. so I believe there is NO FUEL being injected. (at least for that #2 cylinder)

But since I am by myself, I cannot see if there are spark.

Someone, please help me now.
I am stuck at work, and DAMN, I have a meeting at 1PM.
Gil
Old 10-05-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Have you considered taking it to someone who knows what they're doing?

Like a dealer or independant?

Personally I'd prefer that to spending the next couple of weeks getting stuck in various locations!

Think of it as part of the purchase price.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default fuel pump

wouldn't suprise me if it is the fuel pump. Crack open the line on the fuel rail and see if you get it to squirt into a small bottle when womeone else is cranking the engine. If no fuel comes out, then that is your problem if voltage is ok to the fuel pump.

note: take all reasonable precausions when dealing with gasoline (no smoking, no drop light nearby, etc)

Quick Reply: Bad problem, Audi A6 won't start up (long)