A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Brake Issue

Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the feedback, thanks!
FIrst off, I am not driving this car everyday. Its I car I am pretty much rebuilding as a hobby. I got it from some brat kid that completely almost destroyed the car with his stupid stereo electronics. The car is in my garage and I am working on it little by little. SO feel safe out there people, you wont be infront of me.
Second, I ended up replacing the master cylinder and removing all of the DOT 3 brake fluid from the system and replaced it with the DOT 4. I bleed the brakes one by one starting from the rear passanger side and ending at the driver side. The brakes are alot better now than before.
Now to my NEW issue. I am getting the ABS light on in the dash and my red brake light is blinking on and off. The car stops great now but I dont understand why these lights are on. I read somewhere about the ABS module in these cars going out, and I would really like to find out if it is the true culprit.
Like I said, I am building this thing almost from the ground up and any help, positive or negative will be much appreciated.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 98A6er
I like the feedback, thanks!
FIrst off, I am not driving this car everyday. Its I car I am pretty much rebuilding as a hobby. I got it from some brat kid that completely almost destroyed the car with his stupid stereo electronics. The car is in my garage and I am working on it little by little. SO feel safe out there people, you wont be infront of me.
Second, I ended up replacing the master cylinder and removing all of the DOT 3 brake fluid from the system and replaced it with the DOT 4. I bleed the brakes one by one starting from the rear passanger side and ending at the driver side. The brakes are alot better now than before.
Now to my NEW issue. I am getting the ABS light on in the dash and my red brake light is blinking on and off. The car stops great now but I dont understand why these lights are on. I read somewhere about the ABS module in these cars going out, and I would really like to find out if it is the true culprit.
Like I said, I am building this thing almost from the ground up and any help, positive or negative will be much appreciated.
My advice would be to invest in VCDS by Ross-Tech or get the dealer to diagnose the problem, typically $120 or so. The dealer may tell you the entire abs unit needs to be replaced but it's more likely the abs ECU or even one sensor or connector. Which is why you need VCDC.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

N00b alert...

Whats VCDC?
Old 10-01-2014, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

VCDS is a softwear. Works with a VAG-Com cable. First you need to buy the cable. Then the softwear is free. You plug the cable under the steering wheel on the left, then the USB part up to your laptop, turn the key to on and click on VCDS(after you install it).
EuropaParts.com: VAG-COM Diagnostic Tool with HEX-USB+CAN Interface
Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find non-branded cables on ebay for under $10, but you are on your own for SW support (even those many come with some version)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go here for the whole info Ross-Tech Store: VCDS