A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Brake line screw up...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake line screw up...

Hello Forum, it's been a while...

Tried to change the "flexible" brake hose (rubber sleeve torn from abuse during brake jobs / pad & rotor changes etc.) which is not leaking but won't pass inspection.

The issue is that when trying to loosen the nut for brake line, the entire line was turning/twisting... PBlaster etc. even then it's not moving. It moved a little because now I have fluid leaking out like crazy but rubber hose part won't turn.

Does it mean I need a new line? Perhaps, the question I should ask is, if that nut/end fitting of brake line goes, what repair(s) can be done ? Or, the line needs to be replaced?
Old 06-25-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Had same problem on my S6 but used a propane torch

Originally Posted by tester123
Hello Forum, it's been a while...

Tried to change the "flexible" brake hose (rubber sleeve torn from abuse during brake jobs / pad & rotor changes etc.) which is not leaking but won't pass inspection.

The issue is that when trying to loosen the nut for brake line, the entire line was turning/twisting... PBlaster etc. even then it's not moving. It moved a little because now I have fluid leaking out like crazy but rubber hose part won't turn.

Does it mean I need a new line? Perhaps, the question I should ask is, if that nut/end fitting of brake line goes, what repair(s) can be done ? Or, the line needs to be replaced?
On the connection with PBlaster. Be careful not to get it too hot, out just want to break the rust or corrosion loose. Might take a couple hot/cold cycles. F it won't break loose you'll probably twist the line and have to replace it.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you SloopJohnB. Ended up having the "experts" at midas fix it -rather butcher and splice it to extend and put new fitting. Not what I wanted to do but had no choice with my current living situation.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default OK. Save your receipt for when it leaks.

Originally Posted by tester123
Thank you SloopJohnB. Ended up having the "experts" at midas fix it -rather butcher and splice it to extend and put new fitting. Not what I wanted to do but had no choice with my current living situation.
Those double flared or bubble flare brake line ends are tricky. I trust they used a decent brake line rather than copper tubing!!!