A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Brakes- pedal goes almost to floor with clicking and u can feel the clicks in the ped

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes- pedal goes almost to floor with clicking and u can feel the clicks in the ped

Doesn't do it all the time. Just did first time today. Bit did it like 3 times today.
And when it happens. U still have brakes but it's just feels weird at the pedal for a minute. .
Not sure what it is. Never had troubles like this with a car. Please help. Thanks
Old 11-07-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like an ABS pump gremlin. Pull fuse, see if it continues.

Grant
Old 11-07-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sooo....I had a somewhat similar issue. I replaced my power steering rack and then had a "clunking" noise when I would go over bumps some of the time. I checked EVERYTHING and couldn't find it. Then GSROB and I started talking and he mentioned the same issue after his steering rack replacement and he found it was the brake pads that were cheaper pads and/or worn brake hardware that allowed the pads to move/rattle that caused the clunk. After he started saying this I started paying more attention to my brakes.

I noticed a clicking feel and a clunk if I hit my brakes. I could feel it in my pedal the first 3-4 times I pumped the brakes. After that, it would go away for a while and then start over again. I figured it could be the pads binding and then loosening up and then binding again.

Yesterday, as I was driving down the road I heard something come lose and get shot into the underside of my car, and then suddenly my brakes went to hell- it would shake everytime I hit the brakes even from a 3 mph stop.

Turns out my caliper bolts were loose and I lost one. The bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the hub that is.

Long story short, I would pull the wheels, check and make sure the pads aren't binding/loose and then make sure all the bolts are tightened sufficiently.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I cant see that being intermittent, but certainly a scary prospect.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When mine started, it was rattling but not bad. Then it seemed to go away for a while, although I may have just become used to it. It probably took about 6 months for the bolt to work itself out. Then it started getting to be bad all the time, then it went really bad.

I can see why hitting the pedal caused it to go away...the pads clamped down and there was then pressure to hold everything in place until it worked loose again....but I don't know how it was intermittent either but it sure seemed to be.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Don't drive the vehicle until you find the problem.

Originally Posted by Juschiln19
Doesn't do it all the time. Just did first time today. Bit did it like 3 times today.
And when it happens. U still have brakes but it's just feels weird at the pedal for a minute. .
Not sure what it is. Never had troubles like this with a car. Please help. Thanks
Old school professor once said when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras. But he also said, don't forget about the zebras!

Point is start with the obvious…check your brake fluid reservoir.
Then pull all the wheels and visually inspect the brakes/pads/rotors. It helps to put the entire car up on a lift or jackstands.

Then have someone start the car (keep it in park) and then operate the brakes while you LOOK at them and listen and see what you can see or hear. That should include strange flexing or changes to caliper as a result of loose caliper bolts (that's a zebra, BTW. Those bolts should NEVER come loose!), either the ones the caliper slides on or the ones bolting the caliper to the bracket or the bracket to the upright.

Then put the trans in Drive and operate the brakes; same look/see/listen.

It wouldn't hurt to use a VCDS to check for codes in the ABS system.

If you've eliminated all the potential causes at the wheels, chances are it's in the master cylinder or ABS module.

Lastly, brake pedal going to floor is generally reason to deadline the vehicle…don't drive it until you figure out what is causing the problem.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 11-08-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sloop's suggestions are good. If you cannot get to them right away and are still driving this car then at least check the wheel studs. If they are loose it can give similar symptoms.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default loose wheel bolts won't cause pedal to go to floor.

Originally Posted by clancy
Sloop's suggestions are good. If you cannot get to them right away and are still driving this car then at least check the wheel studs. If they are loose it can give similar symptoms.
loose wheel bolts won't generally let brake pedal go to floor.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

True. I guess my suggestion was stupid. But I have had loose studs before and was confounded to figure it out for a few hours. Even had a mechanic look at the car and drive it. He was miffed as well. Felt like suspension related problem. Point being loose studs could be a contributor to the issues. Or, it could remind somone else reading this thread to remember to consider this simple yet significant possibility. My wife had a wheel come off when she was driving. The shop had forgotten to torque the wheels. I did not know about it as I had no reason to check a shop's work.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clancy
True. I guess my suggestion was stupid. But I have had loose studs before and was confounded to figure it out for a few hours. Even had a mechanic look at the car and drive it. He was miffed as well. Felt like suspension related problem. Point being loose studs could be a contributor to the issues. Or, it could remind somone else reading this thread to remember to consider this simple yet significant possibility. My wife had a wheel come off when she was driving. The shop had forgotten to torque the wheels. I did not know about it as I had no reason to check a shop's work.
BTDT…didn't have a wheel come off, but there was some noise from loosened bolt(s). Either they came loose or weren't tightened. And that's with torquing wheel bolts to 120NM!!

Quick Reply: Brakes- pedal goes almost to floor with clicking and u can feel the clicks in the ped