A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

brand new coolant tank from dealer still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new coolant tank from dealer still leaking

Hey audi world so this weekend I spent $55 on a brand new dealer coolant tank and to my surprise the damn thing is still leaking at the connection from the upper radiator hose (little hose near the cap) it's so frustrating because it leaves a mess on my plastic engine cover and causes hecka steam also after driving. I don't know what to do anymore I have pushed the hose as far as possible the hose itself is new and I tightened the worm gear clamp and nothing. At first I thought I was the cheap aftermarket tank I had but that's not the case. What else can I do? I'll try to post a pic later if necessary.

Thanks

2001 Audi A6 2.8 Avant quattro 185,856 miles
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe the hose has a split. Do you have enough slack where you can cut the hose back a bit to get a new end?
Old 02-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Frustrated with this...

Originally Posted by AR15Texan
Maybe the hose has a split. Do you have enough slack where you can cut the hose back a bit to get a new end?
hmmm good question. I don't have enough slack on the hose but it's ok cuz I have extra new hose here at home anyway. The hose itself I replaced it when I put in the after market tank back in October 2014 because the original hose was leaking. It still leaked with the new hose so I thought maybe the tank itself is bad but fast forward to this past weekend and I'm still leaking. Maybe I'm using the wrong type of worm gear clamp? The one I'm using right now came with the crank case breather hose kit I got from ecs tuning it was an extra one. When I had my original old yellowed out tank I never had a problem in that area of the tank but now it's just leaks and more leaks. The old hose on the old tank was held on to the connection with the original Audi clamp (the one you squeeze with pliers). Like I stated is it possible to be using the wrong type of clamp perhaps?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2015, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or the wrong size hose
Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Or the wrong size hose
the hose I put on is a 3/8 size and it doesn't slip on or off easily it's actually snug. I have buddy who drives a B5 A4 1.8T that is manager at one of the oreileys auto parts here in town that guided me on the hose purchase. But just to be sure what is the proper size?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know the proper size, but a hose that is just a tad big will sometimes pinch and leak when tightened, (sometimes when over tightened).
Small worm clamps can also pinch and cause a leak because the pull in at one spot, not evenly.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N_Jay
I don't know the proper size, but a hose that is just a tad big will sometimes pinch and leak when tightened, (sometimes when over tightened).
Small worm clamps can also pinch and cause a leak because the pull in at one spot, not evenly.
I'm very tempted to put the original Audi clamp back on since I still have it and see what happens. I noticed the other day that if I put just enough force the worm clamp can be moved around (spun) even if it's "tight"
Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

you should probably use a fuel line hose clamp. if you can turn the hose it will leak in that application as it is under pressure.. turn means no good seal . .
Attached Images  

Last edited by Airbag; 02-19-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
you should probably use a fuel line hose clamp. if you can turn the hose it will leak in that application as it is under pressure.. turn means no good seal . .
hmmm I'm going to give it a shot with those clamps you mentioned. Should I go ahead and replace the hose again while I'm at it?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this was happening to me I'd take the part back to dealership and get a new one, it just sounds like something else is causing the leak.

You sure the cap isn't leaking? They do go bad

Quick Reply: brand new coolant tank from dealer still leaking