A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Camshaft Alignment - With Photos

Old 10-29-2011, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think i have a similar problem with cam timing alignment, I read the audi links above (pictures deleted), but I still do not understand what to do or how to adjust, or even if this is the issue. Would be helpful to see pictures of correct alignment both banks if anyone has pictures of correct timing alignment??

My engine will not start, cranks over, no mechanical resistance, but will not start. I just replaced the seals, cam chain tensioner gasket/seal, cam chain pads, and removed the cams and tensioner. Replaced it all, but now I have no compression on passenger side bank 123 for 2.8l 30v USA/AHA Audi A6Q 1998 (early model). Fuel pressure, injector signal, spark, all appear fine. Local guy with a VAG scanned and found no error codes, everything seemed ok electronically, no indication of what is wrong, except I found no compression on 123 passenger side bank, and engine will not start!

I used a crank locker bolt and cam locker tool at TDC, new timing belt properly tensioned, exhaust cams and crank all aligned properly, exhaust cam notches aligned with reference arrows on exhaust cam cap, cam pulleys tight, etc... that should all be ok, figure the problem is with intake cam on 123 bank.

Spaced intake cams on banks 123 and 456 the same at ~15.5 or 16 rollers (cam gear marks on intake cams are slightly different side to side, with the notch on the intake cams either at gear tooth point or at a gear tooth valley, so rollers # 15 and 16 are either at the mark or slightly outside the mark). Installed the intake cams with the intake cam shaft gear reference notch aligned to the reference arrow on the cam cap... all seemed perfect, aligned, and symmetrical.

But, I have Zero ~0.0psi compression on passenger side bank 123, and ~120psi on driver side bank 456. So seems no compression on bank 123 is the problem, but not throwing any cam position codes?

I don't understand how to adjust +/- the chain spacing to correct this issue. Manual made no differentiation between chain spacing on the banks, but read above there is mention that manual is wrong and there is some some difference, but can't see any picutes to understand how mine is wrong or how to fix/adjust??

here are pictures of my cams and chain on passenger side bank 123. Can someone please help and explain what is wrong with mine, and how to fix this issue?

Unfortunately, not at TDc in picture, but was aligned as above and engine has not started (looks about 15.5 in the picture (arrow to arrow). Does anyone have a picture of the passenger side that is correctly timed? is it 14.5, 15.5 or 16.5? would this slight incorrect alignment cause total loss of compression in the entire 123 bank? how much can the chain tensioner adjust??

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...03843113944562

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...03931765475234

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...04001146932722

*** I would really appreciate any help or pictures!!! I'm stumped....

Thanks
RJ
Old 10-29-2011, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

here is a similar link for VW cam gear issue as cross reference.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ntake-camshaft
Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

here is a link to the pictures of my incorrect passenger side bank 123 with zero compression and a diagram that must also be incorrect...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...03796616030321
Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok... seems google did nto link at all

here is a photosynth of the problem passenger side bank 123 with no compression

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...1-cecb7baf0988

Cam gear notches are properly alligned with cam cap arrows, and 15.5 rollers between the notches, where have i gone wrong?

Thanks,
RJ
Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by endogenous-i
ok... seems google did nto link at all

here is a photosynth of the problem passenger side bank 123 with no compression

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=...1-cecb7baf0988

Cam gear notches are properly alligned with cam cap arrows, and 15.5 rollers between the notches, where have i gone wrong?

Thanks,
RJ
Have you done a leak-down test? Cam belt on correctly? What if you remove those cams and do a leak-down?

Either timing is off or you damaged some valves along the way.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Same exact problem here. 2001 Passat V6 30V came in for misfires on cyl 4-5-6.
after some reading and checking, I decided to change the cam tensioner and chain on bank 2. Noticed the 14 rollers between the cam marks and though that the problem was there. redid it with 16 roller as in the bently but it was off. I had to redo it again as on the picture above.

Result: I had 130 psi compression, now I have 180 psi compression. But still have the same problem. No power and misfires on 4-5-6.
I removed the o2 sensor on bank 2 to see if the cat is blocked and nothing changed. I thought that the cam gear may have come loose but after removing the valve covers again, found that the timing marks are dead on.
In a desperate attempt to solve the problem, I changed the spark plugs, but it also didn't work, but I knew it wasn't the problem.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxime Routhier

Same exact problem here. 2001 Passat V6 30V came in for misfires on cyl 4-5-6.
after some reading and checking, I decided to change the cam tensioner and chain on bank 2. Noticed the 14 rollers between the cam marks and though that the problem was there. redid it with 16 roller as in the bently but it was off. I had to redo it again as on the picture above.

Result: I had 130 psi compression, now I have 180 psi compression. But still have the same problem. No power and misfires on 4-5-6.
I removed the o2 sensor on bank 2 to see if the cat is blocked and nothing changed. I thought that the cam gear may have come loose but after removing the valve covers again, found that the timing marks are dead on.
In a desperate attempt to solve the problem, I changed the spark plugs, but it also didn't work, but I knew it wasn't the problem.
You might have more luck with a response a VW forum. While it's possible that some people here have experience with a 2001 Passat this is an Audi forum and you are in the A6 C5 section. I personally have no idea if a Passat is set up the same as an A6.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, if you had an idea, you'd better just not pollute this thread with this answer. The 2.8 V6 30V from audi and vw's are the same, EXACTLY the same. I have an issue so I am browsing any forums searching with keyword '2.8 30v'.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxime Routhier
Well, if you had an idea, you'd better just not pollute this thread with this answer. The 2.8 V6 30V from audi and vw's are the same, EXACTLY the same. I have an issue so I am browsing any forums searching with keyword '2.8 30v'.
I believe that you will find a better audience at Audiworld if you lie and say that it is from an Audi.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good point

Originally Posted by georgeb944
I believe that you will find a better audience at Audiworld if you lie and say that it is from an Audi.
Exactly! The natives wouldn't know the difference on a 2.8 5V valve/cam train, the VAG brothers need to stick together with or under certain circumstance.

Last edited by jcman; 08-18-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camshaft Alignment - With Photos