A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Yet another performance question thread.. :)

Old 08-02-2010, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another performance question thread.. :)

Looking for some suggestions and BTDT about performance upgrades on the 2.7t as there are a ton of various posts.

What I am looking for - moderate increase in power, but still being able to drive this daily to work and back without killing my fuel milage (when casually driven obviously).

So what I am wondering is what to start with first. I wont doing everything at once, so I will have to plan this out in steps. Should I start with things like piggie downpipes and a larger exhaust? Or start with turbo upgrades? Or chipping?

Just curious what the best order is for this since I know some mods will be different depending on what you already have in the car or will be putting in.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best bang for the buck would be to chip it - $600 for a good boost in power. piggie pipes and exhaust will boost power, but you're looking at a bit of labor to install piggies, 7 hours i believe it is (correct me if i'm wrong), plus $400 for the pipes. exhaust will be at least $1k, but those two won't get you the power increase that chipping it will. turbo upgrade is VERY expensive (i just did it as one of mine failed, so no reason not to upgrade). i'd look at your budget first and go from there. if you are thinking about turbo upgrades in the future, then i might skip the chip as you'll have to get custom tuning for the upgraded turbos as the regular chip is tuned around the stock turbos. i chipped mine years ago and just did the turbos, but still have not done the custom tuning yet as that is $2k+ (custom tune plus various upgraded parts, fuel injectors, etc.), but i also need to upgrade intercoolers before i do the tune, so you really need to figure out where you want to go with your upgrades. most people just do the chip and exhaust and are very happy with those results.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Craggy Old Man

Manual or Tiptronic?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ming 2.7T
Manual or Tiptronic?
Oops... I guess I should have described the car...

2001 A6 2.7t MT with 118k. Currently has a stripped timing belt + whatever other damage that caused. Pulling motor and trans out to look at the heads, evaluate the turbos and probably change a few things while I am there. Potentially swapping motors if its toasted.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well that changes everything, if you're going to have the motor out anyway, i'd definitely upgrade the turbos, piggies, clutch, lwfw, etc. etc. etc.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
well that changes everything, if you're going to have the motor out anyway, i'd definitely upgrade the turbos, piggies, clutch, lwfw, etc. etc. etc.
hehe you want to finance that for me? I have limited funds currently that I can put into mods, I figure I can spend maybe 2k over what I need to do to get up and running. Thats why I wanted to figure out what the best things to start with for upgrades would be.

Right now I am thinking exhaust/downpipes and chipping. Upgrading the turbos and taking advantage of them means new intercoolers, fuel modifications, ect ect. Clutch is something else I am considering also though so that might eat up some $$$.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Turbo's and downpipes makes most sense while engine is out. Why pull it again to put them on?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Add the rest when $ is available
Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since everyone is on this topic, i was wondering what chip you would recommend and where to get the chip. Its for a 2000 a6 Bi-turbo automatic/tiptronic, all stock performance besides air intake
Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Daremo_06
hehe you want to finance that for me?
Hey Daremo

I know where you are coming from, but if you are ever going to do the turbos, I would also say do it while you are there. There are some cheaper alternatives nowadays so you might be able to get it done for less than you might think. ECSTuning selles RP K04 for a lot less than KKK units and they warrantee them. As far as I've "heard" on here they are reliable also. http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...rbo/ES1892048/ Then you will also need the piping, but that you can get on eBay for a couple hundred bucks... ECS has the OE ones...
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-...ine/RS4/ES436/

But like you said you are still the one that has to spend the $$$... lol

Cheers
Massboykie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet another performance question thread.. :)