A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Cat Delete?

Old 01-19-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Delete?

My passenger side cat has fallen apart internally, and needs replacement. I'm curious if there's an option to delete the cat's entirely and trick or flash the ECU to deal with the lack of O2 sensors if I delete the cats. I live in Georgia, so the crazy CA CARB requirements aren't an issue, I just need to pass the emissions check yearly (which is based on reading from the OBDII port)

Any thoughts on how to approach this?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default No. Any such option would grow hair on your palms.

Originally Posted by calib0rx
My passenger side cat has fallen apart internally, and needs replacement. I'm curious if there's an option to delete the cat's entirely and trick or flash the ECU to deal with the lack of O2 sensors if I delete the cats. I live in Georgia, so the crazy CA CARB requirements aren't an issue, I just need to pass the emissions check yearly (which is based on reading from the OBDII port)

Aside from being immoral and fattening.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Superglue

So you want to remove the federally mandated catalytic system and then hack the electronics to hide this fact?

If you do it yourself, it might be considered a federal offense. If your mechanic does it for you, he will go to jail if caught.

I'd recommend superglue. Either use it on the cat internals or on the ignition switch.

Frankly, this isn't the kind of question that gets a good response here. Sorry.
The following users liked this post:
KHedges (06-30-2021)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aftermarket cats are cheap in price and material build but should last at least 5yrs and the install cost depends where you go, you are not bound to a factory cat.

Cheap like this as an example only
Amazon.com: Flowmaster (2820120) 2.50" Inlet/Outlet Left Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: Flowmaster (2820120) 2.50" Inlet/Outlet Left Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive

Last edited by jcman; 01-19-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after doing a little research, I realize how misguided the consideration of a delete is. Never something I've had to deal with so I wasn't hip on the EPA requirements.

Magnaflow makes a drop in replacement kit with the pipe's and O2 holes, runs about $400. I'd be a bit nervous buying just the cat, not familiar with pipe size or any other requirements. Any guidance there?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So after doing a little research, I realize how misguided the consideration of a delete is. Never something I've had to deal with so I wasn't hip on the EPA requirements.

Magnaflow makes a drop in replacement kit with the pipe's and O2 holes, runs about $400. I'd be a bit nervous buying just the cat, not familiar with pipe size or any other requirements. Any guidance there?
Most muffler shops carry the size and fitment aftermarket cat, the price may be cheaper then a $400 part that is a pain to replace adding up labor hours and extras like bolts that break or something else, shop around you might be surprised.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased whole converter/flexpipe/flange assembly for each side on my a6. They can be had for 300-350 dollars a side. Much better way to go, couple hours and nice, quiet exhaust. At least my case the flex pipes were leaking.

I had to trim the drivers one slightly because it was too long but otherwise drop right in and no engine light anymore.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I guess its all a matter of how long the car can serve you or if it's worth it, the newest C5 just turned 11yrs old...I'm there already.

One thing you haven't shared was any info about the car or how long you plan on keeping it.

If you can do the work then a whole converter pipe section would be the way to go as Prospeeder suggests, defiantly agree for that cost. So if your not a DYI guy and at the mercy of someone else doing the deed the aftermarket cat would be the most cost effective route.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes you can remove your cats and flash a tune to ignore them. Will you get thrown in jail? No. Will you get in trouble? Depends on your states laws. You might want to talk to someone in your area that is more knowledgeable.
The following 2 users liked this post by the_duke:
Cassisjo1970 (12-06-2022), gmgdnj (09-14-2021)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by the_duke
Yes you can remove your cats and flash a tune to ignore them. Will you get thrown in jail? No. Will you get in trouble? Depends on your states laws. You might want to talk to someone in your area that is more knowledgeable.
No Indy or repair shop is going to hang their rear out on this subject, it's a Federal EPA mandate enforced by state EPA agency's and some states take it up a step further...flash hacking can cause other problems so why take the chance on what some kiddies are doing with old VW's or Audi's on their last leg of milking the ride out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cat Delete?