A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Check Engine Light - Three Codes Displayed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The air injection system is used to warm up the converters. So ignore the cat code until the air injection is working. If you have vagcom using the output tests is easy, see if the pump blows, and not leaking out of a hose, and check that the vacuum lines to each air valve is intact. You can check vacuum by starting the engine cold and verifying vacuum is present at both lines on the air valves while the pumps running. If all passes, use a vacuum pump and be sure the air valves diaphragms are not torn and leaking. If still no solution, remove the valves and be sure the ports not clogged and the air valve actually opens and air flows through.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clueless racer
I had same sai code and O2 codes, along with random misfire on all cylinders. Turned out it was the PCV (3" pancake) took the valve apart and found it was completely full of congealed oil! Cleaned it out and reinstalled 2 days ago, no cel since.
Thanks for tip. This the PCV u reference? (I miss my 1971 Nova .. ha)

Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
The air injection system is used to warm up the converters. So ignore the cat code until the air injection is working. If you have vagcom using the output tests is easy, see if the pump blows, and not leaking out of a hose, and check that the vacuum lines to each air valve is intact. You can check vacuum by starting the engine cold and verifying vacuum is present at both lines on the air valves while the pumps running. If all passes, use a vacuum pump and be sure the air valves diaphragms are not torn and leaking. If still no solution, remove the valves and be sure the ports not clogged and the air valve actually opens and air flows through.
Ah yes...good info. Just tested the pump via vagcom and it sounds like a turbine. Can't imagine thats normal but not sure. Don't feel any immediate leaks.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by vitamin
Ah yes...good info. Just tested the pump via vagcom and it sounds like a turbine. Can't imagine thats normal but not sure. Don't feel any immediate leaks.The Sound
SAI can sound like a turbine.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for tip. This the PCV u reference? (I miss my 1971 Nova .. ha)

Yes that is the PCV valve for 2.7T
Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The real question is whether there are any plugged passages. The 'spider' tubing is legion for problems/plugged, the PCV may get plugged first and then the spider tubing, who knows. Chicken/egg?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
SAI can sound like a turbine.
Thanks Sloop.

Ya'll have been major help. Thank you. The SAI pump is blowing good, PCV and lines pretty clean.

Think I found the culprit...or at least part of the culprit (see image).

Getting ready to go get re-inspected... does the following (see image) mean I am ready to go? or is there something else I need to check for "readiness?"

Lastly, what is MIL Status: MIL OFF mean? anything to be concerned about?

Cheers

Last edited by vitamin; 04-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Sloop.

Ya'll have been major help. Thank you. The SAI pump is blowing good, PCV and lines pretty clean.

Think I found the culprit...or at least part of the culprit (see image).

Getting ready to go get re-inspected... does the following (see image) mean I am ready to go? or is there something else I need to check for "readiness?"

Lastly, what is MIL Status: MIL OFF mean? anything to be concerned about?

Cheers

MIL off means the Malfunction Indicator Light is off.
That cracked hose goes to the infamous Kombi valve…Audi's word, not mine…LOL. I like those little clamps, audi unique dealer item I think…they're clamped on with a CVJ boot clamp tool or a specialty audi tool. Looks like you may be able to cut the hose at the break and put it on the kombi valve with a worm drive clamp? You can twist the OEM clamp off with a diagonal cutters or a cvj boot clamp tool if you have one. That's probably only temporary until the hose breaks again…once you get a break that's indicative of a tired/old/brittle hose. This cvj clamp tool from summit racing is about the least expensive one I've seen...
Attached Images