A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

climate temperature control question

Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default climate temperature control question

When I had a VAG COM and I ran the full check. The VAG COM told me that my temperature sensor or whatever senses the temperature and controls the auto temp was intermittent.
Can any of the climate control stuff be replaced , I think it's effecting the flaps in the dash that controls temperature and where the heat comes from . Is there any part in the climate control that can be replaced ?? There was a part number that it gave but I haven't been able to find it. Dealer only I bet and have to order it and it will cost a million dollars. Any one ever mess with this. Now that it's cold I don't have much heat. I'm thinking the flaps aren't set correctly. I guess it could be the motors that control teh flaps have gone bad to. Is there any write up to take the dash apart to check the flap motors for the A6 2003 ?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never took it apart in this car but on a older Audi, it was driven by vacuum! and when one of those line went bad, the flaps didn't work. On yours, I'd try running a diagnostic, I think there is a series of check it goes through (I forget what it is called at the moment) and it should give you more info... (I am guessing at this point). I also have a small issue where the flap (I believe) by the accelerator is stuck open or something because the hot air is always coming through in summer even when the climate control is off.... I don't plan to fix this... just too much to take it all apart.

There is a small vent (if you look close enough) in the dash (mine's below audio system) that pulls in cabin air to sense the temp and adjust flaps for heat required etc. I am wondering if that's what it is mentioning... that can be taken out without ripping the entire dash. It has a motor/fan to pull the air and known to go bad. Do you hear any screeching or high-pitched noises near the shifter when idle/parked with climate control turned on?

Last edited by tester123; 01-15-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No noises at all, could be one of the motors, but I opened up the hose on the top of the heater core thinking I had air in the system, after the car warmed up the bottom host going in was hot but the hose coming out of the heater core was only warm. So maybe I have crap in the heater core. when it' s really cold out I don;t get much heat. to cold out now to take it apart. so it's got to be either the flap motors or crap in the heater core. any idea how to clean it out besides a garden hose in one side and blow it out the other ?? I guess it could be the sensor not working properly too like the VAG I think is telling me. if there is a fan in there I'll have to check it.