A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 07-25-2016, 01:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Coilover installation cost

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover installation cost

Hi guys! I wanted to get some feedback as to how much you guys paid to get your coilovers installed plus alignment. I am replacing a worn set of coilovers on my Audi a6 4.2. I first had them installed with alignment years ago for $350.00.

I've got two quotes from local shops, one of them Auto Assets in Powell, Ohio and Motorkars in Columbus, Ohio.

Auto Assets quoted 1268.59

MotorKars quoted 1520.80

Does this seem like a high installation cost to anyone? I searched the forums and it seems that prices were all over the place most were ranging $300-$500 and a few were around $800.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeAudi 4.2
Hi guys! I wanted to get some feedback as to how much you guys paid to get your coilovers installed plus alignment. I am replacing a worn set of coilovers on my Audi a6 4.2. I first had them installed with alignment years ago for $350.00.

I've got two quotes from local shops, one of them Auto Assets in Powell, Ohio and Motorkars in Columbus, Ohio.

Auto Assets quoted 1268.59

MotorKars quoted 1520.80

Does this seem like a high installation cost to anyone? I searched the forums and it seems that prices were all over the place most were ranging $300-$500 and a few were around $800.
Since you're just replacing adjustable coilovers, why not do it yourself? Chances are you won't need alignment either since it's already done.
It's at least a couple hours per corner, depending on what breaks and what else has to be replaced such as control arms and/or rear upper shock mounts.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A good indi shop can easily do a coilover install in 4 hours. At ~ $100 per hour you shouldn't pay more than ~ $450 plus tax and alignment. In my opinion, anyone quoting you more than 4.5 hours labor for a simple install is attempting to rip you off.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Neosapian
A good indi shop can easily do a coilover install in 4 hours. At ~ $100 per hour you shouldn't pay more than ~ $450 plus tax and alignment. In my opinion, anyone quoting you more than 4.5 hours labor for a simple install is attempting to rip you off.
Thanks Neo.. I knew something didn't feel right. I found a shop to do it for 400.00. The shops I got a quote from wanted 12 hours. What do you guys recommend as far as the replacement of bumpstops, upper strut mounts etc.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I install coilovers on my ride this upcoming spring, I will also do complete front control arm kit, sway bar end link kits front & rear, and rear wheel bearings (doing fronts pretty soon here). I figure I might as well refresh the surrounding suspension bits or else I probably won't enjoy the full performance benefit of brand new Coilovers. I am also considering adjustable upper arms for alignment/tread wear reasons - but they're so damn expensive! Hope this helps dude.

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Neo.. I knew something didn't feel right. I found a shop to do it for 400.00. The shops I got a quote from wanted 12 hours. What do you guys recommend as far as the replacement of bumpstops, upper strut mounts etc.
bumpstops, upper strut mounts in front are relatively cheap, replace them. But make sure your adjustable coilovers require bumpstops. Some shocks don't.

Rear upper shock mounts replace about every 100K miles…they take a beating. I learned the hard way putting sport Konis in wi/o upper shock mounts at 107K..they ripped out in a couple K miles but perhaps that was due to the koni sports. The new ones are ok at 188+K miles.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
bumpstops, upper strut mounts in front are relatively cheap, replace them. But make sure your adjustable coilovers require bumpstops. Some shocks don't.

Rear upper shock mounts replace about every 100K miles…they take a beating. I learned the hard way putting sport Konis in wi/o upper shock mounts at 107K..they ripped out in a couple K miles but perhaps that was due to the koni sports. The new ones are ok at 188+K miles.
This is good to know. Makes sense. Im at 129k miles - so its likely time to do my shock mounts. Curious to know if there are improved & swappable RS6 mounts...
Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update... I got the H&R Coilovers installed a few days ago. Due to a unforeseen shipping error I did not receive the front upper shock mounts so I decided to reuse the original mounts and bump stops... Not good.. The car drives good, and it feels good not to have a blown passenger side front shock again, but now upon hitting small bumps (driveway) and uneven road surfaces I hear a loud bang/clunk the seems to be coming from the passenger side dash area, and also a passenger said they could feel the clunk coming through the front passenger side floor.. I checked and torqued everything under the car, checked the torque on the shock bolts under the hood, but didn't find anything loose.
My thoughts are the original rubber of the shock mounts are toast and I need new ones, and for the clunk on the passenger side floor area, it seems that after doing a search that it may be the rear lower CA... Any thoughts?
Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Update... I got the H&R Coilovers installed a few days ago. Due to a unforeseen shipping error I did not receive the front upper shock mounts so I decided to reuse the original mounts and bump stops... Not good.. The car drives good, and it feels good not to have a blown passenger side front shock again, but now upon hitting small bumps (driveway) and uneven road surfaces I hear a loud bang/clunk the seems to be coming from the passenger side dash area, and also a passenger said they could feel the clunk coming through the front passenger side floor.. I checked and torqued everything under the car, checked the torque on the shock bolts under the hood, but didn't find anything loose.
My thoughts are the original rubber of the shock mounts are toast and I need new ones, and for the clunk on the passenger side floor area, it seems that after doing a search that it may be the rear lower CA... Any thoughts?

Well, that sucks. But if there was not a clunk from the front passenger side before you changed shocks, I doubt it's the lower control arm. You can check by jacking up that side and unloading that control arm with a jack stand under the bj of the front lower control arm…use a channel lock to try to compress the bj..if it moves at all then replace it. Don't use a pickle fork to try the other way because it will likely damage the bj. You can use a pickle fork to remove it if you're replacing the lca.

I guess it's possible that the new force of the new shocks could cause the bj to clunk while the old shocks were just too weak. Only way to find out is to inspect it.