A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

CRAP! Camshaft moved?! Possible to figure out TDC again?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
This is unbecoming of an excellent Audi mechanic like yourself! I expected more from you!
Leave the socket to die on its own in a miserable death? Well, I feel strongly about this. Seriously, you gotta find it. Personally, I never lost a part or socket during my T-belt job or any other repair for that matter. Actually, I take pride in the fact that I am still using the same Craftsman tool set bought 20+ years ago! Now, breaking few sockets is another story and that's quite acceptable as Sears replaces them for free.
The only thing I sort of lost was a small plastic clip that was part of the quick connect on the hose for headlight washer pump. I spent a good hour looking for it and finally gave up, put the bumper etc., dropped the car, backed out and there it was on driveway. Pulled the fog light and connected the hose and clipped it. In my book, it was a "job completed to near perfection" (apart from drilling out a bolt at the water pump -snapped head on final torque).
I'm hating that I dropped them. I just can't figure out how to even get to the point to find where there are. I don't know the layout of the exhaust manifold. I even dug around the most I could in my few inchs of space with a long "stick" I made and couldn't even blindly find where it was. If I could figure out what part it landed on by hearing it rattle or something I surely would get one of those long bendy claws to dig them out... Short of getting a borescope, which ugh, this whole "do it myself" was to save money and well, I'm probably break even point now... (Yes I know I'm replacing lots more tho, lol)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acarney
...this whole "do it myself" was to save money and well, I'm probably break even point now... (Yes I know I'm replacing lots more tho,...
Plus, you forgot to mention the attention to detail (or lack of ) on the work you do. You know it is done right (provided you did it right... ) man, I can't stop. ok, ok, I am confident you are doing a good job. Find that socket! Use one of those flexible things like the ones with claws except there is a magnet at the end. That might do the trick. Also, have someone give you a good kick square in your socket; next time you'll think twice on how to handle a ratchet ....

Last edited by tester123; 01-21-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry too too much about the cap screw and socket lost in the engine. It will eventually fall out or is somewhere good that you will find it doing something else.

Some places to look for it - under the air intake manifold and then crawl under the car and reach up and feel around on the top of the sub frame. Sometimes things fall onto the subframe and just sit there. Also, sometimes you will see angles you didn't see before and your blind feeling with the magnet will have better results with a new angle...

If it is in the back of the engine though, and on the outside of the engine, you won't cause any real damage as long as you replace the part you dropped.

When I bought my car I actually found a pair of pliers in the engine bay that another mechanic had dropped down there. A couple weeks ago, I found a socket that was wedged into a tight spot that I would have never looked into while I was changing out my axles.

It isn't A-grade work to leave it in there, but sometimes it isn't worth the search when you have bigger fish to fry. And yes, you are doing great so far. You are a fast learner!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tester123
Plus, you forgot to mention the attention to detail (or lack of ) on the work you do. You know it is done right (provided you did it right... ) man, I can't stop. ok, ok, I am confident you are doing a good job. Find that socket! Use one of those flexible things like the ones with claws except there is a magnet at the end. That might do the trick. Also, have someone give you a good kick square in your socket; next time you'll think twice on how to handle a ratchet ....
Some how I think the public outcry will be less then when it makes the news that a surgeon left some tools in a heart transplant patient

I'm busy with classes from 7:45am till almost 8:35pm today so I'm not sure if I'm going to dig into it tonight after a long day when I've got all tomorrow I can work on it. Hopefully I'll make huge progress (finish?!) it tomorrow. I feel like I've reached the bottom of the pit now and it's just replacing and working my way back up to a fully assembled engine. All my parts are here, I don't think I'll run across anything else that needs last minute ordering for this job, I want to get back on the road!

(Haven't removed the cams yet, probably get ready for some freaked out post about a problem with that... :rolls eyes
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

How long was the tool rental for? I read at blauparts that they only give you 7 days or something close to that...
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Just bought a suction pump from my dealer who confirmed it was for a 2.7t... Part # 058 133 753D. I have a new vent hose (078103235R) on it's way and should have it Monday. Hopefully early in the day so I can almost finish the job.
Apparently up to 2001 where there was a split. I hope you confirmed your VIN with the dealer.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gsrob
How long was the tool rental for? I read at blauparts that they only give you 7 days or something close to that...
Ya. I've just gone past the rental since I kept adding parts and waiting for them to ship to me, it's $10/day after I think so I'll eat some cost on that end. I overnighted the parts to me initially so I got more time out of the rental since they automatically calculate in like 5 extra days for shipping or something so your 7 days isn't being used up while it's shipping to you.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice, the only thing that bothered me was the small fortune of a deposit that they wanted with the tool rental. But... I guess they have to make money somehow if people don't return it. I figure they almost hope people don't return them because they probably make so much money on it. I can't imagine that the set of tools comes anywhere close to $400. But then again, stranger things have happened.
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...Some how I think the public outcry will be less then when it makes the news that a surgeon left some tools in a heart transplant patient ...
Good! Yeah, let us know if you get stuck. If it's real particular, I could only offer book knowledge (have 4.2 so,). But you know, folks on this forum are excellent! We'll collectively bail you out some how or the other.

Find that socket! (you might as well just post that you found it because, all my posts will end with that...)
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Apparently up to 2001 where there was a split. I hope you confirmed your VIN with the dealer.
I'm pretty sure I told them my VIN when I called to check if they had the part, I'll see what's up when I dig in there. If not maybe I'll take a trip to the dealer and see if I can swap the part...

Quick Reply: CRAP! Camshaft moved?! Possible to figure out TDC again?!