A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Creaking, groaning front end, '00, A6 Avant, ATQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking, groaning front end, '00, A6 Avant, ATQ

One year ago, I replaced the entire set of front control arms, shocks, upper strut mounts , sway bar links with a full Febi Bilstein kit from GAP. Vehicle was at ~135,000 miles.
Kit Installed correctly with bolts torqued with vehicle at curb weight position.
The improvement was fantastic.
Now, one year, 10,000 miles later I have a very noticeable groaning, creaking noise when turning the wheel side-to-side. Sounds like a dry ball joint . But finding which control arm has failed has been a nightmare.
It Only starts after car has been driven a few miles, and suspension warms up.
I had an assiatnt turn the wheel with me under the car. The noise is noticeable, but I cannot pinpoint it.
I removed both tie roads - and one lower rear control arm. All were smooth and lubricated. Inner tie rods are good as well.
I checked the inner bushings on upper and lower control arms- all are good. No tears, cracking.
I checked the 3 steering rack bolts. All are very tight.
I replaced both front axles which were original with Raxles units. and that didn't solve it.
I removed and applied silicone lube on the sway bar rubber bushings.
The noise persists.
German Auto Parts has been great - they will honor the warranty and replace the bad control arm (s).
But first I have to find which ones.
I'm thinking a dry upper or lower ball joint.
GAP suggested injecting grease into the rubber boots using a needle fitting.
I'm inclined not to do that as I think it will destroy the integrity of the rubber boot.

Anyone have a similar problem that was resolved, have suggestions - I would love to hear from you.
Thanks
Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Time for the WD-40 test.

While your under the car, and can actively hear the noise, spray WD-40 on each joint, and listen for a change in the noise. Start at the lower joints and bushings first, then go higher. Once you get to the component that quiets down with the lubricant, you found your culprit. WD-40 is best for this because it is easily washed off with a little water. I've done this, and it works. Obviously keep it off your rotors. Check around the engine mounts too.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I had very similar issues with the Febi Bilstein full kit. Only occurred once suspension was warmed up, and only with warm weather. The culprit ended up being the front lower passenger side ball joints. FWIW, there were one or two other forum members who also experienced similar issues with the same Febi-Bilstein kit.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Grapeking
I had very similar issues with the Febi Bilstein full kit. Only occurred once suspension was warmed up, and only with warm weather. The culprit ended up being the front lower passenger side ball joints. FWIW, there were one or two other forum members who also experienced similar issues with the same Febi-Bilstein kit.
Thanks for the response. I know - it only starts groaning when the joint warms up. And in warmer weather it can be really bad.
The folks at GAP say there have been relatively few warranty returns /replacements for these kits. They've been very reliable. But they have had some.
Was yours the lower control arm towards the front of the car - the one the shock mounts to, and the ball joint stud enters from top down?
I have not checked that one.
I did press out the stud on the rear lower control arm . And that joint had plenty of lubrication.
Last question, did you end up replacing the control arm, or just getting some grease into the joint?
Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

try injecting some grease into the boots of the Ball Joints, and then seal it up with silicone.

Grant