A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Definitive solution to repair cruise control module 5GA 004 397-16

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks
and idk if its cause i have an a4 but its cake work to drop the module out. no need to take the glove box out or anything just drop it down from the side tabs and thats all the room you need.

i'll update this once i get a soldering gun. figures the one my pops and i had is broken right now.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

LOL...what are these, Bosch products? Years and years of Saab and Volvo work also showed relays with crystallized solder. Buy a new relay and 5-8 years later gremlims popped up. I thought it was over when higher tensile strength solder came onto newer cars, but maybe the Chinese are cheating...again!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I swear that looks like the cruise control module on my OG Saab 900T (1987).
Different number, but box is about the same size.
LOL...the Saab cruise control module had solder fractures/crystallization.

They all do more or less the same thing but of course the newer audis have electronic/servo throttle control.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks OP! re-soldering worked perfectly for me. I did not clean off the red lacquer, I just heated up the joint and added additional solder.

I did have to fix the vacuum switch a few weeks ago because of a vacuum leak. I dropped in a new o-ring to fix this. After this fix I had the intermittent issue until I resoldered the cruise module.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm going to try this sometime soon...the cruise has never worked in my wagon.

Just to verify something, is it true that there is no fuse for cruise control in the fuse box? I opened the fuse box to check on the fuse when I originally bought the car and the CC wasn't working. I noticed that the spot labeled "cruise control" was empty, with no terminal to insert a fuse into. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't my problem before I move onto the more difficult process of re-soldering the cruise control module.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay, so I pulled out the cruise module behind the glove box and took a look at the circuit board. For the life of me, I can't find a single pin that looks like the solder is broken or corroded. They all look perfect.

So...where do I go from here? I was hoping that I'd be able to do a little soldering and fix the problem. I have never had working cruise control in the wagon. I read somewhere that if there are uncleared codes in the ECU, it can prevent the CC from working. Is this true? If so, can I have them cleared by a generic code reader, or is a VAG-COM required? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx580
Okay, so I pulled out the cruise module behind the glove box and took a look at the circuit board. For the life of me, I can't find a single pin that looks like the solder is broken or corroded. They all look perfect.

So...where do I go from here? I was hoping that I'd be able to do a little soldering and fix the problem. I have never had working cruise control in the wagon. I read somewhere that if there are uncleared codes in the ECU, it can prevent the CC from working. Is this true? If so, can I have them cleared by a generic code reader, or is a VAG-COM required? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
if you have access to microscope you be surprised what you can not see with naked eye just do resolding, reheat and add some more led ..
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audifirst
if you have access to microscope you be surprised what you can not see with naked eye just do resolding, reheat and add some more led ..
I guess I should have read this thread more carefully...I see now that it's not something you can see with the naked eye. Alrighty, I marked the capacitor pins and am taking it to a guy that does soldering. We'll see if this does the trick.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just to follow up, I had a guy solder the capacitor pins on my CC module and it did the trick. After 2 years, I finally have cruise! Just in time for vacation, too.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Worked as a wonderful charm

No apologies here, but a solid thanks to the author of this post. Just bought my '96 A4 two days ago. Spent a couple hours altogether reading the posts and locating/removing the Cruise Control module. After first attempt at soldering points C7 and C11 (and perhaps C9), popped it back in and the cruise works!

Thanks so much

Quick Reply: Definitive solution to repair cruise control module 5GA 004 397-16