A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Did a compression test on the A6

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a compression test on the A6

Some of you read I have a 98 a6 with a 2.8
It broke its timing belt while running.
I put a belt kit on it and it started up. Ran kinda choppy but decent.
So decided to do a compression test
Cylinder. Psi
1. 170
2. 170
3. 160
4. 0
5. 180
6. 165

So now to decide what to do fix it or just forget it. Lol
Old 04-30-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Valve stuck open on #4. (I'm sure you already figured that out). Get a replacement head on EBay or from a junker. May have to get a valve job done on whatever you buy. Or... pull that head and get it repaired....Or do both heads. Since it ran it might be worth the investment to get the work done. You still won't have a huge amount invested. I think I would try to find serviceable head I could bolt on and go, such as from a "totaled" vehicle from a wrecker. So far you're doing good, IMHO. Keep it up.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
Valve stuck open on #4. (I'm sure you already figured that out). Get a replacement head on EBay or from a junker. May have to get a valve job done on whatever you buy. Or... pull that head and get it repaired....Or do both heads. Since it ran it might be worth the investment to get the work done. You still won't have a huge amount invested. I think I would try to find serviceable head I could bolt on and go, such as from a "totaled" vehicle from a wrecker. So far you're doing good, IMHO. Keep it up.

Thanks.
I was surprised it read so good well except the one cylinder lol.
Gonna ptob pop the head off see it the seats are damaged then go from there I think.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its actually quite easy to do a cylinder head on one of these. Gives you a good opportunity to reseal the engine. Heads can be had for 100-200$. Gasket kit for one side, 50-60 bucks. Fluids. Timing belt set for a few hundred.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Its actually quite easy to do a cylinder head on one of these. Gives you a good opportunity to reseal the engine. Heads can be had for 100-200$. Gasket kit for one side, 50-60 bucks. Fluids. Timing belt set for a few hundred.
I liked online for a write up but didn't see anything for the v6
I'm assuming. Take off intake. Then undo exhaust under the car. Then of course the belt ect ect. Think that's about it from just staring at the car lol.
If ya have a link for this if like to see it.
Car had a new belt kit on it so wanna get that drivers head off see if the valves smashed the head anywhere then go from there.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pjpitbull@yahoo.com
I liked online for a write up but didn't see anything for the v6
I'm assuming. Take off intake. Then undo exhaust under the car. Then of course the belt ect ect. Think that's about it from just staring at the car lol.
If ya have a link for this if like to see it.
Car had a new belt kit on it so wanna get that drivers head off see if the valves smashed the head anywhere then go from there.
This exactly, you just take off whats in your way. When you get the air injection valves off, and the intake, you can reach down and get most of the exhaust bolts rather easily, the rest underneath, then just undo a few hangers to drop it down off the manifolds. The cam lock tool is cheap too, be sure to use it on reassembly. I would suggest both the other side and used head you get, new valve cover gaskets, timing chain tensioner gaskets, rear cam plugs, and cam seals on reassembly. And be sure to do the thermostat with all the belt stuff off. Im not sure I have seen a writeup anywhere on the whole thing.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
This exactly, you just take off whats in your way. When you get the air injection valves off, and the intake, you can reach down and get most of the exhaust bolts rather easily, the rest underneath, then just undo a few hangers to drop it down off the manifolds. The cam lock tool is cheap too, be sure to use it on reassembly. I would suggest both the other side and used head you get, new valve cover gaskets, timing chain tensioner gaskets, rear cam plugs, and cam seals on reassembly. And be sure to do the thermostat with all the belt stuff off. Im not sure I have seen a writeup anywhere on the whole thing.
All the stuff ya mentioned is already been done. Except any head seals/gaskets.
I have the bar. Think only thing I need is the timing chain tensioner as for special tools.
I'm thinking most people junk these cars out or take to dealer for repairs. That would explain the lack of write ups lol
Old 04-30-2016, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Most likely the offending valve(s) suffered a bent stem and may not actually be something visible. The stem doesn't allow the head of the valve to seat in the valve seat opening because it is binding up when travel is induced.You already know which cylinder it is, now all you need to determine is intake or exhaust. With the head off and no tension on the valves from the cam it may be really easy to detect. I think if it were me I would locate a replacement head online somewhere, get a gasket set and replace the head. You can always hang on to the one you remove, have it repaired, and sell it or sell "as is". Recoup some of your costs! Course you could also pull it and have a shop rework it for you. Your call. If you google your project you will see a lot of "How to's" come up. Be really specific when you type in your search (i.e. 1998 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L cylinder head replacement). You will almost surely get a few hits from YouTube that will have actual video showing how to do the job. A lot of the videos are actually shot by independent repair shops providing really good tips and tricks along with the tech stuff.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Would like to hear progress.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
Would like to hear progress.

Sorry been busy with other things. Hoping to start this tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Did a compression test on the A6