A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Diminishing (Engine) Returns

Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diminishing (Engine) Returns

Hi again Audiworld,

My cam chain tensioners are shot on my 03 a6 4.2, and I am not interested in spending any more Legal Tender on this particular engine. So, in lieu of spending any more on the engine after all I've done for its ungreatful *** , I've decided I want another engine. I realize I could spend the fiat money in better ways, but I don't care... I like my car and already crossed the line long ago by putting as much into it as I have so spending more is a dead issue.

My inquiry is this:
If YOU (audipro), were ME (audiamateur), and YOU had the intent of doing an Engine swap, would you-

a) Buy a low milage S8, S6 or RS6 engine w/ necessary components/ ECU, etc.
b) Buy a whole S8, S6 or RS6 and part out remains to recover any expenses
c) Another engine/ option I could be overlooking out of ignorance

My mechanic thinks I'm nuts, so seeking his input has proven awkward/ unproductive. I'd like to figure out what I am going to do and just bring him the necessary parts with some stacks like "just do it." I know it's Law of the Jungle-esque around here, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Post Scriptum- Does buying a 2.7t for the transmission and parting it out seem wiser than buying just the transmission?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ORKA64.2
My mechanic thinks I'm nuts,
I'm with him.

Sorry, I know that's not what you're looking for, but I doubt very much that the outcome is going to be what you hope.

Fix what you have.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I'm with him.

Sorry, I know that's not what you're looking for, but I doubt very much that the outcome is going to be what you hope.

Fix what you have.
Word, you're entitled to your subjective opinion in the republic. But, why invest 4K into an engine pushing 300 hp when I can get the same engine for less or a parts car/ engine for a relative price that may be more desirable to put $ into?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey everyone!! I own an 1987 audi 5000 cs turbo. As soon as the engine gets hot and I turn the car off it will not start again... As soon as the engine has been given time to cool down it starts no problem.. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 1987-audi-owner
Hey everyone!! I own an 1987 audi 5000 cs turbo. As soon as the engine gets hot and I turn the car off it will not start again... As soon as the engine has been given time to cool down it starts no problem.. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Wrong forum... try the 5000/200/V8 forum...

That said, your system fuel pressure is leaking down and the fuel is boiling in the fuel lines, causing a vapor lock. After it cools down, the fuel is back to a liquid and can get through the injectors.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by georgeb944
Wrong forum... try the 5000/200/V8 forum...

That said, your system fuel pressure is leaking down and the fuel is boiling in the fuel lines, causing a vapor lock. After it cools down, the fuel is back to a liquid and can get through the injectors.
Ok thanks!!! We will look into it
Old 07-20-2014, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Classic vapor lock. Find the leaking injector or fuel pump check valve and repair accordingly.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If that's all that is wrong on your 4.2, replace the tensioners. Even more likely, the plastic shoes are all that's worn on those tensioners. Remove them, snap on new shoes, compress and reinstall the tensioners.
Worst case you have stretched timing chains…compare 10 links on new chain to 10 links on yours and if there's .15 link difference (1.5%) replace the chain…chances are the sprockets are ok unless you can SEE big dishes in the sprocket at the base of the tooth.
Since .15 link is difficult to measure you have to know the pitch or measure one on a new chain. For example, a chain with ¾" links should be replaced when 10 links are longer than .1125" relative to a new chain. Use 1.5% on chains with fixed center to center sprockets.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Because you won't be able to get the same engine for less or a parts car/engine for a relative price that may be more desirable to put $ into. Not to mention pulling the engine is more likely to cause other problems with deteriorated wiring, connectors, etc., etc.
If you like the car, repair whatchoo got.
It shouldn't be $4K either…tensioners are available online for much less than stealer price, the plastic shoes are about $22 a pair (you need 4 on a V8), and gaskets, etc. are another couple hundred (spendy Audi stuff).
An independent mechanic should be able to do it for around $2K. A few hundred more if the chains have to be replaced.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

i wouldnt replace the engine in an 11 year old car anyway . if constantly sinking money into it is your issue , sell your Audi . This will be a worsening problem as you hit 12-15 years unless you can do a lot yourself.

id fix it myself till i got tired , then just get rid of it .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diminishing (Engine) Returns