A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

disabling Secondary Air Injection System 2.7T - Beating a Dead Horse

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disabling Secondary Air Injection System 2.7T - Beating a Dead Horse

I apologize for beating a dead horse-- I know there is a plethora out there about deleting or disabling the SAI system, but I can't seem to find any definitive "OK" or "NOT OK" to do. I have a 2000 Audi 2.7T Quattro. My SAI pump is noisy and about to go out, from what I'm told, and I'm cheap. So here are my questions:

1) Can I disable the SAIS without removing it and plugging a hole?
2) Can I simply remove the FUSE for the SAIS pump and call it good? (wishful thinking) If so, HOW?!
3) If not, can I just disconnect the SAI pump and leave it dangling? If so, HOW?!

Thank you!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can't disable the the SAI system without reflashing your ECU. If you unplug it it, you'll get a CEL.

Also the fuse for the SAI pump also handles the o2 heater circuits, so you can't pull that either.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I appreciate the quick reply. If I unplug the motor, can I just replug it later, and the CEL will eventually turn back off?? I just don't want to sound like I'm taxiing for takeoff every time I cold start the car. As long as it will do no damage to the vehicle, I don't have any problem turning it off.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audiot_A6
I appreciate the quick reply. If I unplug the motor, can I just replug it later, and the CEL will eventually turn back off?? I just don't want to sound like I'm taxiing for takeoff every time I cold start the car. As long as it will do no damage to the vehicle, I don't have any problem turning it off.
The CEL will keep on showing when it detects insufficent air flow. You can unplug it and live in with CEL though. It's just a stupid emissions thing, that's all.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you so much!! On my vehicle, the noise seems to be near the top rear of the engine, is that the correct location of the SAI pump??? On most other vehicles it seems to be under the front bumper, so I'm a bit confused.. But I'm fairly sure that's where the noise is originating.

Is it as simple as unplugging the plug that's right on the top rear of the engine?? Or am I being stupid and about to pull a plug that will destroy my engine?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audiot_A6
Thank you so much!! On my vehicle, the noise seems to be near the top rear of the engine, is that the correct location of the SAI pump??? On most other vehicles it seems to be under the front bumper, so I'm a bit confused.. But I'm fairly sure that's where the noise is originating.

Is it as simple as unplugging the plug that's right on the top rear of the engine?? Or am I being stupid and about to pull a plug that will destroy my engine?
it's a round plstic thing on the top of the engine, near where the Ypipe makes a left turn towards the airbox.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default SAI system 2.7t

This is a good tread. How do you reflash the ECU? Will the dealer do it or is it against N.Y. state emissons? My car is due for NYS inspection this month and my check engine light comes back on after a day or two after I clear the codes. Can the Ross Tech software flash the ECU? Anyone in the Buffalo or Batavia N.Y. have on that can help me out? Case of beer or cash reward.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by quicksilver 2.7
This is a good tread. How do you reflash the ECU? Will the dealer do it or is it against N.Y. state emissons? My car is due for NYS inspection this month and my check engine light comes back on after a day or two after I clear the codes. Can the Ross Tech software flash the ECU? Anyone in the Buffalo or Batavia N.Y. have on that can help me out? Case of beer or cash reward.
I have seen a site or two with information on how to do it, but it was all well over my head!! I have also seen the use of a 75Ohm resistor that will apparently clear a few of the codes? Not sure if it'll work on a 2.7T though! Sorry I'm not much help!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sooooo, do we actually need this then?

Mine every now and then squeals on first cold startup, but lately every few weeks im getting a 17831 and 17819 code relating to bank 1 and bank 2 SAI!

Does it do anything to the running of the car, do i need this to work for the engine to be at its best?

Or can i just ignore it and clear the codes when they pop up every now and then?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default SAI pump rebuild

It is not too hard to replace the bearing on the Secondary Air Pump. Standard skate board wheel bearing can be used and only cost $1-2.00 each.

Quick Reply: disabling Secondary Air Injection System 2.7T - Beating a Dead Horse