A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Do HIDs lose brightness over time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesting mithrilG60 because metal halide lamps use salts in the same manor for a more pure white color vs mercury vapor that don't use salts, but I do have to state that several times before I changed my aging 9yr old HID lamps I did notice more of a pink during the start-up instead of the yellow like my 1yr old ones.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, colour shift to violets and pinks are very characteristic of HIDs that are at end of life. That colour shift will also show in normal use and not just start up. The bulbs light colour is determined by the chemical composition of the salts in the capsule, that composition eventually begins to break down after a certain number of cycles. The average functional life of a HID capsule is about 2000 hrs, it may continue to work after that point but it's life output will be dramatically reduced.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcman
Very interesting mithrilG60 because metal halide lamps use salts in the same manor for a more pure white color vs mercury vapor that don't use salts, but I do have to state that several times before I changed my aging 9yr old HID lamps I did notice more of a pink during the start-up instead of the yellow like my 1yr old ones.
Well, Left one went pink on Monday night and completely died on Tuesday night. Been trying to order a set from retro in Atlanta, but they've been closed since Tuesday due to the ice issues. GOing to try again this morning.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HID, tungsten, HIR and Halogen bulbs start to loose output from the day they are put into use. I recommend changing out both low beam bulbs every two to three years if you notice any reduction in output.
With HID's the salts start to accumulate and cloud the center of the tube.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by feirstein
HID, tungsten, HIR and Halogen bulbs start to loose output from the day they are put into use. I recommend changing out both low beam bulbs every two to three years if you notice any reduction in output.
With HID's the salts start to accumulate and cloud the center of the tube.
Put two new ones in and huge difference. Makes me think the wife's A4 could use a new set also - same yellow strip along the top edge of the beam.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Yep.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?
Yes, but it doesn't turn yellow
Old 02-17-2014, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are we confusing the start up colors?

Pink=beginning of the end
Yellow=normal shade before white

If your has HID lamps then yellow...... well you know.
Unless they are 4+ years in heavy service use then a fraction of overall brightness will be noticed.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

AudiWorld

Originally Posted by jcman
Are we confusing the start up colors?

Pink=beginning of the end
Yellow=normal shade before white
Exactly. A yellow colour band in operation is completely normal for stock lights. As I mentioned earlier, it's from the diffraction of light bending on the edge of the cutoff shield. The colour of that band is dictated by a bunch of factors including distance of the shield from the back of the projector bowl, shield shape/curvature and the lens type. However the colour has nothing to do with the health or age of the bulb.

Similarly the clouding of the capsule with salts indicates nothing more than the capsule has been used. HIDs work by using electric current to vapourize salts in an enclosed capsule, super heating them to plasma. The plasma emits light at a specific wavelength (ie. colour temp) defined by the composition of the salt mixture. When the current is turned off the plasma cools and the salts recrystalize. The cloudiness is just finely crystallized salt which will again turn to plasma the next time the bulb is energized.

Quick Reply: Do HIDs lose brightness over time?