A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Don't buy from Am-Autoparts!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't buy from Am-Autoparts!

FYI,
Don't make the same mistake I did. Terrible customer service, there was a different rep on every email. They are all talk no solutions. I wasted hours on correspondence that ended in empty promises. So learn from my mistake, don't buy anything from these idiots!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BC98A6Q
FYI,
Don't make the same mistake I did. Terrible customer service, there was a different rep on every email. They are all talk no solutions. I wasted hours on correspondence that ended in empty promises. So learn from my mistake, don't buy anything from these idiots!
Your first post on this forum is a rant on how a company did you wrong...hmmm...care to elaborate on EXACTLY what happened vs. just telling us your perspective on the company and their service?

Also, what car do you own: make, model, engine type, tranny? And what were/are you trying to fix?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, I was trying to be brief and give a heads up.
I have a 98 A6 Quattro AHA engine 4B chassis.
I am replacing both front axles from torn boots only no grinding yet. Ordered both axles as a set A1 Cardone a decent company, at least from my perspective. Installed passenger side first and left the driver side for the next day. Started to drive it out of the garage and the new axle started grinding. Took it off and inner joint was in pieces, the boot was still intact, twisted to hell but intact. I contacted Am Auto and gave them the part number (66-7261) told them it was defective . They asked for more information, make model, etc. and if the picture on the site matched what I received. I gladly sent the info. They responded the next day with a request for pictures which I sent, 10 total plus the photos of the boxes to show part numbers and the markings on the box. I heard nothing for a day and a half so I asked if they received the photos ok. The next day they sent a response photos arrived but they needed chassis number so I sent that info. The next day came a request from a different person for clarification on which axle was bad. At that point I started to question their intent and if they were procrastinating looking for a way out of having to replace an axle. I looked into their feedback and noticed several negative ratings but gave them the benefit of the doubt and reminded them it was the 7261-passenger side axle that was defective. The next day came a response from a different person requesting the entire vin number which was a bit frustrating since I had given that information already. I sent it anyway and questioned their intent on a solution to the problem or endless requests for information. I heard nothing for a day and received another request from a different person again, stating if a replacement was applicable they would send it as soon as possible but needed more information on which side failed driver or passenger and the part numbers. At that point I called my credit card and opened a dispute for my own protection. I told them their customer service was poor and gave them a last chance to make good on a replacement before I left negative feedback. You can guess what the response was the next day...a request for more information, make and model and vin number from yet another person. My response was how poor their service was and I didn't want to do business with them and a request for RMA. Haven't heard anything back.
I have been a member here for awhile and have gotten a great deal of valuable information for this car. My intent was to save anyone else from making the same mistake with this company.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

These are some of the photos (if they come thru)

Old 01-29-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default What's your issue? Let the dispute fix it.

Sorry, I was trying to be brief and give a heads up.
I have a 98 A6 Quattro AHA engine 4B chassis.
I am replacing both front axles from torn boots only no grinding yet. Ordered both axles as a set A1 Cardone a decent company, at least from my perspective. Installed passenger side first and left the driver side for the next day. Started to drive it out of the garage and the new axle started grinding. Took it off and inner joint was in pieces, the boot was still intact, twisted to hell but intact. I contacted Am Auto and gave them the part number (66-7261) told them it was defective . They asked for more information, make model, etc. and if the picture on the site matched what I received. I gladly sent the info. They responded the next day with a request for pictures which I sent, 10 total plus the photos of the boxes to show part numbers and the markings on the box. I heard nothing for a day and a half so I asked if they received the photos ok. The next day they sent a response photos arrived but they needed chassis number so I sent that info. The next day came a request from a different person for clarification on which axle was bad. At that point I started to question their intent and if they were procrastinating looking for a way out of having to replace an axle. I looked into their feedback and noticed several negative ratings but gave them the benefit of the doubt and reminded them it was the 7261-passenger side axle that was defective. The next day came a response from a different person requesting the entire vin number which was a bit frustrating since I had given that information already. I sent it anyway and questioned their intent on a solution to the problem or endless requests for information. I heard nothing for a day and received another request from a different person again, stating if a replacement was applicable they would send it as soon as possible but needed more information on which side failed driver or passenger and the part numbers. At that point I called my credit card and opened a dispute for my own protection. I told them their customer service was poor and gave them a last chance to make good on a replacement before I left negative feedback. You can guess what the response was the next day...a request for more information, make and model and vin number from yet another person. My response was how poor their service was and I didn't want to do business with them and a request for RMA. Haven't heard anything back.
I have been a member here for awhile and have gotten a great deal of valuable information for this car. My intent was to save anyone else from making the same mistake with this company.

Never buy with cash or wire from ANYBODY online.

Even reputable firms throw down with repeated requests for information. I rented a car in Greece from Hertz in Athens and damaged the car and paid for it with AMEX. I didn't disagree that I damaged the car but the point is that I went to AMEX for the €300 charge to be refunded. AMEX immediately put the charge on dispute (I didn't have to pay) and told me it takes 45 days or so to straighten this out on average and they would get back to me after Hertz Athens provided AMEX certain requested information. Repeated requests to Hertz Athens by AMEX were fruitless and I haven't seen the charge turn up on my bill. AMEX told me to forget about it since the vendor didn't provide the requested information for the dispute.

So far it hasn't shown up on my credit rating but I don't think I'll try to reserve a car from Hertz in Athens anytime soon.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 01-29-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm not too worried about the money part it's about the principle. Poor customer service and trying to take advantage of people gets under my skin. I guess my initial post was a bit out of line. I don't want others who, like me, utilize this site for information to make the same mistake.
I am curious about A1 Cardone's reputation. I've read they are decent and I've also read they re-brand from China.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not too worried about the money part it's about the principle. Poor customer service and trying to take advantage of people gets under my skin. I guess my initial post was a bit out of line. I don't want others who, like me, utilize this site for information to make the same mistake.
I am curious about A1 Cardone's reputation. I've read they are decent and I've also read they re-brand from China.
Thanks for the heads-up on your own accord and experience because vendor site reviews these days probably have friends and family propping-up the goods, you really just don't know.

Re-brands from China.....I'm certain that 80% of aftermarket parts are from China, anything made in the US or Germany is flat out going to cost more.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an unrelated question. I will be in the market soon for a "beater", a learner for my son. I was looking at perhaps another 98 to 01 A6 mainly for the 2.8. The turbo would be too much temptation that I would end up paying for! Not too mention the added maintenance- more parts to break.
I'm also thinking about an A4 but not sure which. I'm curious if there is an overwhelming preference for a specific year range, platform in the A4? My main concern is reliability/longevity viability. Perhaps that is a bit broad. Any opinions out there?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an unrelated question. I will be in the market soon for a "beater", a learner for my son. I was looking at perhaps another 98 to 01 A6 mainly for the 2.8. The turbo would be too much temptation that I would end up paying for! Not too mention the added maintenance- more parts to break.
I'm also thinking about an A4 but not sure which. I'm curious if there is an overwhelming preference for a specific year range, platform in the A4? My main concern is reliability/longevity viability. Perhaps that is a bit broad. Any opinions out there?
My best answer is I don't know, but I do know that 15yr old reliable cars are getting about as rare as hen's teeth, heck even low mile old cars are going to have issues based on the age like seals and other time degraded parts.

My best suggestion is to really research and know what your buying, base model A4's and A6's are a bit cheaper to keep on the road plus they are usually not subject to a beating by the previous owners.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In my experience as a used car sales man, the 2.8 is one of the worst cars to buy used. This is mostly because of how relatively inexpensive they are to purchase in recent years. This puts them in the hands of first time drivers and other vehicle killer-types. Oil changes normally happen after the oil warning light comes on and regular maintenance is a foreign language to many 2.8 owners.
I never consider them as an option when I'm at the dealer auctions regardless of the price (typically between $600 and $1300.) Oil leaks galore and other bad parts.
The 2.7t and 4.2 are always in better conditions although they are more likely to have been traded in for a bad transmission. Seems the transmission is the proverbial fine line or straw that breaks the camel's back for most owners.
As for the A4, they are good to go for most engines, 'specially the 1.8t. Auto trans is a regular fault. But they are cheaper to maintain. I prefer the B6 for the A4 and 2.7t for the A6.
Good luck.