A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Driveshaft Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Problem

'00 A6 2.8 Avant, Automatic, 148k miles.
Experiencing a 'shudder' like vibration when starting off from a stop. Seems worse if in a turn. Both front axles are brand new (Raxles) so I can rule them out.
I believe it is my driveshaft center bearing. Or another driveshaft issue.
Mu understanding is the center bearing / support is not replaceable. You must replace the entire driveshaft.
Blauparts actually stopped selling center bearing / driveshaft repair kits. This is because of the need for presses and special tools to properly disassemble shafts.
Blauparts also now recommends biting the bullet, "paying the big money" to a dealer to obtain a whole new shaft.
Has anyone dealt with this, and how did you resolve it?
Many thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default look around, FCP or someone has a kit

Originally Posted by nickcarguy
'00 A6 2.8 Avant, Automatic, 148k miles.
Experiencing a 'shudder' like vibration when starting off from a stop. Seems worse if in a turn. Both front axles are brand new (Raxles) so I can rule them out.
Mu understanding is the center bearing / support is not replaceable. You must replace the entire driveshaft.
Blauparts actually stopped selling center bearing / driveshaft repair kits. This is because of the need for presses and special tools to properly disassemble shafts.
Blauparts also now recommends biting the bullet, "paying the big money" to a dealer to obtain a whole new shaft.
Has anyone dealt with this, and how did you resolve it?
Many thanks
At least for a couple audis, maybe the B5 series, IIRC but you never know.
Otherwise the best thing is to replace the entire driveshaft with a rebuilt.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
At least for a couple audis, maybe the B5 series, IIRC but you never know.
Otherwise the best thing is to replace the entire driveshaft with a rebuilt.
Thanks for input. Know it's impossible to be sure, But From my description of symptoms would you agree it could be the driveshaft?
FCP does not offer kits. But is happy to sell me a new shaft for $1695..
Audi dealer list is $1,700.
Yikes.. more than the car is worth.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default no driveshaft kit available anymore from blau.

Thanks for input. Know it's impossible to be sure, But From my description of symptoms would you agree it could be the driveshaft?
FCP does not offer kits. But is happy to sell me a new shaft for $1695..
Audi dealer list is $1,700.
Yikes.. more than the car is worth.
They stopped it due to supplier problems (if not installer issues!).

It could well be your driveshaft center bearing. For that kind of money it could be worthwhile to have it professionally diagnosed.

It's $1463 (plus tax) at Jim Ellis audi.
There's a used on on ebay for $100. I guess you get what you pay for but who knows, it might be a good old one.
There's a bunch of them up to around $250 used on ebay. I'd try one of them before I bought a new one. Some of them are guaranteed for six months so if it doesn't solve your problem immediately you should return it.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's the DS center bearing, then I would expect you should be able to feel it shaking most in the floor board just above the bearing support.
Since you mentioned Blauparts, I expect you've already found their page on DS symptoms/repairs to help you identify the source. They also have a .pdf file for assy/disassy, that may help you if you go that route.
Google found 034motorsport & jhmotorsport listing for the center support bearing.

Here's a guy that adapted a BMW center support bearing.
quattroworld.com Forums: Center Driveshaft Bearing DIY

Haven't had to deal with this yet on my car...knock on wood.
Definitely want to be certain it's DS for that much cash.
Good Luck.

Last edited by CRuby; 01-26-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I never had any chatter, but when my center bearing went, there was a healthy thumpin n bumpin whenever I was making a turn on a rough, or bumpy road. I would be able to hear that it was a rotating part as it bounced around. I ended up replacing mine with a rebuilt assembly. It was around $450. The shop that installed mine forgot to use the gasket on the front cv, and it ended up giving me a vibration within six months. Called the driveshaft company I got mine from, told them what happened, they sent me a replacement immediately, no shipping either. I installed the new one myself, and its been fine for 7000+ miles. The place was Wholesaleimportparts.com
Old 01-27-2015, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Like blink I got mine at wholesaleimportparts.com and it was about $500 all in. Pretty easy fix. Don't lose the brass spacers between the center support and the body. Put them back where you found them and you'll be good. Save the box the rebuilt comes in so you can get your core credit on the return.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Like blink I got mine at wholesaleimportparts.com and it was about $500 all in. Pretty easy fix. Don't lose the brass spacers between the center support and the body. Put them back where you found them and you'll be good. Save the box the rebuilt comes in so you can get your core credit on the return.
Thanks everyone for the valuable input.
It's going to be difficult to diagnose for sure since I don't have use of a lift.
Will likely have to bite the bullet and bring it to a local indy shop .
I neglected to mention I have had the transmission tailshaft seal replaced twice. Most recently about 5 months ago. I know that involves dropping the driveshaft. I'm wondering if the shop possibly did not replace the spacers, or align the shaft correctly.
My local Audi dealer (Northern NJ) is quoting me $1700, plus installation.
I have seen the units offered by wholesale imports. And the Jim Ellis part seems like a bargain.
Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Theres a good chance that rear seal is failing prematurely because of the play in your drive shaft.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the valuable input.
It's going to be difficult to diagnose for sure since I don't have use of a lift.
Will likely have to bite the bullet and bring it to a local indy shop .
I neglected to mention I have had the transmission tailshaft seal replaced twice. Most recently about 5 months ago. I know that involves dropping the driveshaft. I'm wondering if the shop possibly did not replace the spacers, or align the shaft correctly.
My local Audi dealer (Northern NJ) is quoting me $1700, plus installation.
I have seen the units offered by wholesale imports. And the Jim Ellis part seems like a bargain.
Thanks again.
I just went through this on my 03 Avant. The center rubber ring was so worn and cracked that each time I stepped on the gas from a start, the shaft would rub against the exhaust (could see the marks when we took it off) not to mention a very loud rumble (worse when turning and starting from a stop). I started to get a high speed vibration but the raxles I installed took care of that. Ordered a used shaft from Shokan and had it installed by my independent. Backed the car out and started driving it only to hear a squeak coming out of the center joint. Shokan suggested I put my old CV joints in the new shaft. Did - no difference and a high speed vibration continued with the darn squeaking. I could have sent it back and had it replaced but the owner was extremely rude and flat out told me the guy I had install it didn't know what he was doing. I was going to tell him that my indy trains the local Audi techs at the dealer but he was screaming by that time. Nuff said - never dealing with them again.

Bought a rebuilt from wholesale imports. Car was not drivable due to vibration. Audi put it up on the lift and we had the wheels turning around 30 MPH and the rear shaft vibration was incredible - at least an inch movement which translated right back to the rear diff. So I was now out $750 for the two shafts and plus $600 in labor to pull two shafts and have Audi re-install the rebuilt correctly shimmed just in case. That wasn't the problem. I called wholesale imports and they asked me if I wanted a replacement or a refund. I opted for the refund. I wound up ordering a new shaft from Audi. 211K and it drives like new. Audi charged me $300 to install the new one over and above the price of the shaft (which I think was about the same). I would have been about $1400 richer if I had done that from the get go.

That said, there is a guy on one of the forums that fixed his problem with a tube of silicone sealant to reinforce the worn rubber support. You could try that route first. Here's the link for the guy that fixed his with 3M window weld.

Driveshaft support bearing fix using 3M Windo Weld

Good Luck!

Last edited by ajg617; 01-27-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Problem