A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Just bought a new car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a new car...

So just wanted to introduce my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T 6-speed
This one is in need of some love but with a little luck I will have it back in shape soon. First thing I need to get sorted out is a new front passenger side axle
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Sure you need an entire new axle? 99% of the time you only need to clean and lube/replace the CVJ boot, both the outer and occasionally the inner. They're pretty robust.
The outer CVJ is also available from ecstuning.com for around $85 or so, you'll also need the CVJ boot kit.
Since you've been a member since 2008 you'll also probably know you should use a new axle bolt too.
There's tons of info on the web and this and TOF site on redoing boots.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually both front axles were replaced by the previous owner not to long ago. Bad news is they used aftermarket parts. She took the car to Audi before she sold it and the they said it needed the front passenger axle replaced. Yesterday I pulled the wheel off to see if it was just a boot but everything looks fine. Ordered one today so next week I will be tackling it.
Going to have to read more, wasn't aware I needed an axle bolt but I'm sure I can track that down as well...thanks for the heads up
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Look at the axle issue again and figure out why it needs a new axle. If it doesn't click when turning and doesn't vibrate at speed and there are no cracks in the boots, it shouldn't need to be replaced.
Or get another opinion.
Dealers range in reliability across a wide spectrum.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh it has something wrong, makes noises when driving. I was saying the boots look good, nothing obvious to a visual inspection(other then that both front axles are not OEM)...
Got that and a Bentley manual on the way
Old 02-25-2014, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! She looks good for a 14yr old.

Don't worry about axle bolts most new ones come with one but make sure, I've done several of them to the point of not having to remove the dreaded UC pinch bolt.

So what kind of noise are you hearing?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be honest I haven't driven the car much yet. From what I recall it was a clicking noise and vibration when I would start going. At speed felt fine to me, but I didn't drive real far. I haven't registered it yet and wasn't planning on doing that till I got the mechanicals straight.
Backstory:
I work for a Toyota dealer and the lady wanted to trade it in. Turns out the dealership wasn't real interested in it. The lady that owned it was very upfront that it had some issues. Known issues are the axle, coolant leak (aux pump according to dealer) and leaking valve cover gaskets. The good is the car has already had the timing belt service performed, newer tires and brakes, under 125k miles, clean car fax, manual (very important to me), Quattro, and an interior color I always liked. Got the car pretty cheap
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I love it! The color combo is killer and a six speed to boot.

Glad that you shared the info with the miles too, what did you steal this one for? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

$1500 is what she was asking for it and I didn't negotiate
Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh my!
You are ahead of the curve, good pick for sure.

Even if you have to throw a couple big one's over the next year you have a stellar legend.

Good for you member!

Last edited by jcman; 02-25-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Just bought a new car...