A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Bentley Manual, Book or DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bentley Manual, Book or DVD?

In general I like being able to flip through a book when trying to understand how to fix things, but I came across some Bentley Videos on YouTube and it made me wonder . . . .

Does the DVD service manual have enough extra stuff on it like videos, etc. to make it worthwhile over the book?

And a second question, does anyone have either for sale (hopefully cheap)?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
In general I like being able to flip through a book when trying to understand how to fix things, but I came across some Bentley Videos on YouTube and it made me wonder . . . .

Does the DVD service manual have enough extra stuff on it like videos, etc. to make it worthwhile over the book?

DVD.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
DVD.
Thanks for the recommendation.

What sort of stuff do they have?
I noticed that Bentley has several manual beyond the basic one. It is not clear if the DVD contains this material.

Anyone have both, that can give a good comparison?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay

I have the Bentley DVD & have managed dealing with its querks. Can't mark a page, or have favorites set up. Always have to go thru from the top menu, selecting year/model/engine, etc. I have hardcopy manuals for my other non-audi cars & it's convenient to be able to add a pagemarker or tab to quickly come back to a given page. No videos in my DVD version. On the positive side, I don't get the pages all smudged with grease when using the DVD...just the keyboard.

IIRC, the DVD is licensed to my computer, & I think I can only switch it to new computer maybe 1 more time. However, I might be getting these rules mixed up with the VAG-COM software.
In past, I've seen manuals for sale in classified section. Might be worth searching there.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Starting to sound like the book is the way to go?

Anyone tell if the DVD contains both the service manual and the electrical diagram manual? (Would make it the less expensive way to get more information.

How about the DVD/CD manuals on ebay? Any comments?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got both.

DVD has more model specific info. And all technical bulletins which help diagnose problems. Also component locations helps. No printing options which sucks. You pretty much have to have a laptop with eBahn on in the garage/driveway.

Book falls apart easily. It is bulky and heavy. And doesn't have all procedures(they tried to put too many models in one book: a6 and rs6 should not be in the same book if you ask me...

I'm old school and like the book more for the most part. Easier to find things and procedures if they are in there If I can't find what I'm looking for I go to the laptop which is getting old and throws 'blue screen restarts' when you need it most Not to mention that eBahn(that is the 'DVD' aka the software) freezes sometimes and shuts down.

They both have wiring diagrams(1/3 of the book is filled with those, and I bet it's missing one you need on a specific model

Bottom line, if you don't want to spend about $160 on both, just get the DVD.

P.S. Warning, before you start your laptop: you might get stuck on Facebook or audi forums for hours before you even start your eBahn software

Last edited by indoor; 07-31-2014 at 12:49 PM.