Engine Mounts - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion

A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine Mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Engine Mounts

Anyone have a description of how to replace the engine mounts on a 200 A6 2.8?
N_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bump . . . . .

The second part of the question:
Any harm in driving with bad (fluid leaked out) mounts other than a little extra engine vibration?

P.S. Still looking for an answer to the first part of the question.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member

The left mount can be removed quite easily. Support the sub-frame, remove the engine mount bracket, and drop out the engine mount. The top nut can be a little tough to get to, but its manageable. Now the right side, thats a tough one. Its my understanding that once the front end is in the service position, you can access it then. At that point you may as well do all maintenance possible, alt, timing belt, etc.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks.
The Timing belt, Water pump and all was just done so I think I may wait on the mounts unless someone warns me of some problem leaking mounts causes.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Tech Guru

Dude. Please use quote and reply. It is nearly impossible to follow your threads with all your posts threaded as replies back to your original post. It's like you are only responding to yourself. Please?

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

2005 A6 Sedan Q 3.2 (wife's whip)
2003 S8 (Q Ship)
2000 A4 Avant Q 2.8 (daily driver)
1999 BMW M Coupe (clownshoe)
1980 VW Scirocco (mid-life crisis car)
1983 Mazda RX-7 (revolutionary sports car)
1999 Mazda Miata SSB (track beotch, no plate)
2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL (the anti-earth)
2004 Dodge Dakota (hey, at least it's stick and 4x4)
4Driver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Driver4 View Post
Dude. Please use quote and reply. It is nearly impossible to follow your threads with all your posts threaded as replies back to your original post. It's like you are only responding to yourself. Please?
DUDE . . . . Sorry, I use linear (default) display mode and find it very easy to follow.

I use quotes when there is something in the post I am directly responding to, but tend not to when it is just another post in the thread. (keeps things shorter).

I will try to remember to use them more.

EDIT:

Just tried "Hybrid" and "Threaded" display mode.

Hybrid is also easy to follow, but can't (or more correctly; didn't try hard) to figure out how to use "Threaded" as I don't see the purpose. (Maybe I can be enlightened?)

Last edited by N_Jay; 07-30-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member

Doesnt help that this is the most ridiculously setup forum ever. Posts should be just reply to the topic, not all the bs with replies to direct people and confusion and all the different modes the threads can be displayed. Who the hell wants that, first post first. last post last. Not to mention how absurd it is not to have editing posts standard with being a member. This has to be the ONLY forum like this. Anyway....

You can wear out the drive axles with worn out mounts. The engine moves more on acceleration and puts the axles at different angles and they wear the inner joint.
1999 VW Beetle 2.0
Prospeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospeeder View Post
Doesnt help that this is the most ridiculously setup forum ever. Posts should be just reply to the topic, not all the bs with replies to direct people and confusion and all the different modes the threads can be displayed. Who the hell wants that, first post first. last post last. Not to mention how absurd it is not to have editing posts standard with being a member. This has to be the ONLY forum like this. Anyway....
It certainly is the only one I have seen where it is an issue.
I have it set to default linear, oldest first, but every once in a while a thread shows linear newest first.

Go figger??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospeeder View Post
You can wear out the drive axles with worn out mounts. The engine moves more on acceleration and puts the axles at different angles and they wear the inner joint.
Anyone know how bad a problem this is?

It is a 2.8, so no one is racing around. I am looking at 6 month to a year and probably 7k to 12K miles total till I get it back to fix the rest.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
Former Vendor

Hi,

Here is a video I found on youtube that could help you with the job:

If you need the engine mounts we have two different brands available for your 2000 A6 2.8.

AutohausAZ - Engine mount

Disclaimer: Make sure to check the year and model of the vehicle before placing an order.

Last edited by AutohausAZ-Mike; 07-30-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Typo
AutohausAZ-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow we have someone from Autohaus on here ? i had no idea .. i get tonnes of stuff there for my Porsches and Audis, great guys to work with ... awesome .. but stop selling those damn Braziiian silver bosch igntion coils for 911s .. they are TERRBLE .. i had a paperweight after an hour lol
1976 Yamaha XS 360.
Airbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
AudiWorld Member

Bad mounts will wear your inner axles. I ended up replacing both of mine. The right inner was going enough to give me a vibe on deceleration.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #12
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbag View Post
. . . . but stop selling those damn Braziiian silver bosch igntion coils for 911s .. they are TERRBLE .. i had a paperweight after an hour lol
They are not for 911's.
They are for VWs and 914s so they can "Claim" they have 911 parts!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Bad mounts will wear your inner axles. I ended up replacing both of mine. The right inner was going enough to give me a vibe on deceleration.
How long were your mounts bad?
Now many miles when you have the problem?
Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 AM   #14
AudiWorld Senior Member

" service position" should not intimidated anyone here. It is really quite simple and does not take that long.
I put mine into service position and put it back just to check some wiring on a fan. About an hour total. Don't feel like it something that should stop you.
The only "service position" that you should be worried about is the one your dealer will put you in.
1976 Yamaha XS 360.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 AM   #15
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Driver4 View Post
with all due respect, you are the only one that ever has issues with this and constantly comments on it. i just dont see the logic in everyone else changing how they do things and making threads 4 times as long to keep it organized for you.
have you co sidered changing how YOU view the forums ? then all the rest of us wont have to change how we do things and thread can remain compact and precise. i find it very very easy to follow without the constantly irritating requoting.

my 2 c

just a suggestion.
1976 Yamaha XS 360.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #16
AudiWorld Member

I'm unsure how long they were bad. I replaced both tranny mounts, which was very easy, and the left side motor mount. The tranny mounts looked like they were in almost new condition, once i pulled them out, they were destroyed. On the engine mount, the metal around the lower stud was broken out. Also, I would recommend replacing the front rubber "snub" mount.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:43 AM   #17
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did you find them bad during an inspection, or were there symptoms?

The car drive and idles smoothly. I don't notice any of the symptoms I would expect from bad mounts (hence why I am leaning towards waiting).

I would guess that when I do them, I will just do them all.
"Once and Done" since it made it to 125K with the originals and is not going to 250K (at least with me)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #18
Tech Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
(Maybe I can be enlightened?)
It's more of a historical issue on this forum. In threaded form, it isn't as important that threads stay on topic. This forum has been historically loosely moderated, which as worked. One of the reasons it worked well was that threads could diverge without taking away from the core topic. For instance, someone viewing this thread could just ignore this "side conversation" and force on the parts of the "tree" that were relevant or interesting. Anyone reading this in threaded mode will have to scroll through a bunch of posts between your post and my response to follow our conversation. Or worse yet, they will have to scroll through our sidebar to stay with the meat of the topic.

Contrast that with miata.net, which is very tightly moderated. Off-topic banter like this would not be tolerated since it dilutes the thread. On that forum, I use linear mode.

The root cause of the problems here is a lack of flexibility in vBulletin.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

2005 A6 Sedan Q 3.2 (wife's whip)
2003 S8 (Q Ship)
2000 A4 Avant Q 2.8 (daily driver)
1999 BMW M Coupe (clownshoe)
1980 VW Scirocco (mid-life crisis car)
1983 Mazda RX-7 (revolutionary sports car)
1999 Mazda Miata SSB (track beotch, no plate)
2003 GMC Yukon Denali XL (the anti-earth)
2004 Dodge Dakota (hey, at least it's stick and 4x4)
4Driver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #19
AudiWorld Member

I really had no symptoms. After replacing my axles, i just wanted a little extra solidity. My front snub was visibly destroyed. It was the easiest replacement.