A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Engine Pull!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Pull!

Time to pull the Engine on my 04 2.7t A6. I have most of the tare down done.
I was wondering if there are some tips and tricks to help along and prevent missing something hidden and break something. Basically both Heads are full of bent valves.
Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2014, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

The first pic is the piece that the Audi Dealership glued in when they broke it changing the timing belt. Well needless to say 5 years later it became loose and landed in the timing belt.

Also while the motor is out I am planning on changing the Torque Converter. Anyone evewr use the Revmax Stage 2? Also any tricks for changing that out?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bummer on the bent valves due to shoddy workmanship. It's a shame that one small plastic part can cause such big problems.
We recently pulled engine for my son's 2000 A6 & decided to pull engine & trans together. One pointer I have is to remove both front drive axles completely, as it gives more clearance for engine/trans removal. Might want to think about changing engine, trans, & subframe mounts while you're there.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CRuby
Bummer on the bent valves due to shoddy workmanship. It's a shame that one small plastic part can cause such big problems.
We recently pulled engine for my son's 2000 A6 & decided to pull engine & trans together. One pointer I have is to remove both front drive axles completely, as it gives more clearance for engine/trans removal. Might want to think about changing engine, trans, & subframe mounts while you're there.
Not trying to thread jack but is yours up and running yet? Maybe I missed the latest updates... OP, good luck with everything!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gsrob
Not trying to thread jack but is yours up and running yet? Maybe I missed the latest updates... OP, good luck with everything!
I actually just ordered another Engine to make life easier and get it done sooner. The engine is about ready to be pulled. Just getting the tranny mounts loose and exhaust. It should be out tomorrow since I have to travel all day for work today.
I have all new seals and timing kit. And ordered the stage 2 RevMax torque converter since I will have all of it out.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gsrob
Up & running since ~ early July. So far all's well (knock on wood).
Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Motor is finally out of the car. Time to take off the turbos and get ready to switch them to the APB block that is on its way.

I will be parting out the BEL motor with the heads containing the bent valves. Along with 2 good heads.
And I will have a set of APB turbos as well.

Last edited by deviantirish; 09-05-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

That looks like a major project.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
That looks like a major project.
Definitely a bigger project than what I really wanted with this car. Hopefully after this I won't have to mess with it until its timing belt change in 75k miles.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

1/2 way there!
So do you intend on changing engine & trans mounts, while they are readily accessible?
On my son's 2.7, both L & R enigine mounts were completely broke in half, but the trans mounts looked good. Changed them all anyway. Even did subframe mounts, due to clunking of front mounts.
Also, is the APB engine a rebuild, or used motor? If used, I hope you are planning to change front & rear main seals, along with various other seals, gaskets, O rings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Pull!